- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 476585, 9 pages
Antibacterial Properties of Titanate Nanofiber Thin Films Formed on a Titanium Plate
1Department of Chemistry and Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjo, Saga 840-8502, Japan
2Japan Medical Materials Corporation, Uemura Nissei Building 9F 3-3-31 Miyahara, Yodogawa-ku, Osaka 532-0003, Japan
3Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, 5 Nabeshima, Saga 849-8501, Japan
Received 16 January 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editor: Gajanan S. Bhat
Copyright © 2013 Mitsunori Yada et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. M. Kim, F. Miyaji, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Preparation of bioactive Ti and its alloys via simple chemical surface treatment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 409–417, 1996.
- Z. R. Tian, J. A. Voigt, J. Liu, B. McKenzie, and H. Xu, “Large oriented arrays and continuous films of TiO2-based nanotubes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 41, pp. 12384–12385, 2003.
- X. Peng and A. Chen, “Large-scale synthesis and characterization of TiO2-based nanostructures on Ti Substrates,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1355–1362, 2006.
- W. Dong, T. Zhang, J. Epstein et al., “Multifunctional nanowire bioscaffolds on Titanium,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 18, pp. 4454–4459, 2007.
- E. Hosono, H. Matsuda, I. Honma, M. Ichihara, and H. Zhou, “Synthesis of a perpendicular TiO2 nanosheet film with the superhydrophilic property without UV irradiation,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 7447–7450, 2007.
- T. Kokubo, F. Miyaji, H. M. Kim, and T. Nakamura, “Spontaneous formation of bonelike apatite layer on chemically treated titanium metals,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1127–1129, 1996.
- H. M. Kim, F. Miyaji, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Effect of heat treatment on apatite-forming ability of Ti metal induced by alkali treatment,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 341–347, 1997.
- H. M. Kim, F. Miyaji, T. Kokubo, S. Nishiguchi, and T. Nakamura, “Graded surface structure of bioactive titanium prepared by chemical treatment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 100–107, 1999.
- S. Nishiguchi, T. Nakamura, M. Kobayashi, H. M. Kim, F. Miyaji, and T. Kokubo, “The effect of heat treatment on bone-bonding ability of alkali-treated titanium,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 491–500, 1999.
- L. Jonášová, F. A. Müller, A. Helebrant, J. Strnad, and P. Greil, “Biomimetic apatite formation on chemically treated titanium,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 7-8, pp. 1187–1194, 2004.
- H. M. Kim, T. Himeno, M. Kawashita, J. H. Lee, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Surface potential change in bioactive titanium metal during the process of apatite formation in simulated body fluid,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 1305–1309, 2003.
- S. Nishiguchi, S. Fujibayashi, H. M. Kim, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Biology of alkali- and heat-treated titanium implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 26–35, 2003.
- K. Muramatsu, M. Uchida, H. M. Kim, A. Fujisawa, and T. Kokubo, “Thromboresistance of alkali- and heat-treated titanium metal formed with apatite,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 409–416, 2003.
- T. Kokubo and S. Yamaguchi, “Novel bioactive titanate layers formed on Ti metal and its alloys by chemical treatments,” Materials, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 48–63, 2010.
- X. J. Wang, Y. C. Li, J. G. Lin, Y. Yamada, P. D. Hodgson, and C. E. Wen, “In vitro bioactivity evaluation of titanium and niobium metals with different surface morphologies,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1530–1535, 2008.
- L. Zhao, P. K. Chu, Y. Zhang, and Z. Wu, “Antibacterial coatings on titanium implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 470–480, 2009.
- K.-T. Oh, H. M. Shim, and K. N. Kim, “Properties of titanium-silver alloys for dental application,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 649–658, 2005.
- W. Chen, Y. Liu, H. S. Courtney et al., “In vitro anti-bacterial and biological properties of magnetron co-sputtered silver-containing hydroxyapatite coating,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5512–5517, 2006.
- K. Das, S. Bose, A. Bandyopadhyay, B. Karandikar, and B. L. Gibbins, “Surface coatings for improvement of bone cell materials and antimicrobial activities of Ti implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 455–460, 2008.
- W.-H. Song, S. R. Hyun, and S. H. Hong, “Antibacterial properties of Ag (or Pt)-containing calcium phosphate coatings formed by micro-arc oxidation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 246–254, 2009.
- I. Noda, F. Miyaji, Y. Ando et al., “Development of novel thermal sprayed antibacterial coating and evaluation of release properties of silver ions,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 456–465, 2009.
- B. S. Necula, L. E. Fratila-Apachitei, S. A. J. Zaat, I. Apachitei, and J. Duszczyk, “In vitro antibacterial activity of porous TiO2-Ag composite layers against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 3573–3580, 2009.
- M. Yada, Y. Inoue, M. Uota et al., “Plate, wire, mesh, microsphere, and microtube composed of sodium titanate nanotubes on a titanium metal template,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 2815–2823, 2007.
- Y. Inoue, M. Uota, T. Torikai et al., “Antibacterial properties of nanostructured silver titanate thin films formed on a titanium plate,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 1171–1180, 2010.
- M. Yada, Y. Inoue, G. Akihito et al., “Apatite-forming ability of titanium compound nanotube thin films formed on a titanium metal plate in a simulated body fluid,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 116–124, 2010.
- B. Chi, E. S. Victorio, and T. Jin, “Synthesis of TiO2-based nanotube on Ti substrate by hydrothermal treatment,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 668–672, 2007.
- X. Wang, Z. Jin, C. Feng, Z. Zhang, and H. Dang, “Alternative adsorption—desorption of C3H6 on nanotube-like silver titanate,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 638–644, 2005.
- Y. Matsumoto, S. Ida, and T. Inoue, “Photodeposition of metal and metal oxide at the Ti nanosheet to observe the photocatalytic active site,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 31, pp. 11614–11616, 2008.