- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 486373, 9 pages
Wearout Reliability and Intermetallic Compound Diffusion Kinetics of Au and PdCu Wires Used in Nanoscale Device Packaging
1Spansion (Penang) Sendirian Berhad, Phase II Industrial Zone, Penang, 11900 Bayan Lepas, Malaysia
2Institute of Nano Electronic Engineering (INEE), Universiti Malaysia Perlis, 01000 Kangar, Perlis, Malaysia
3Spansion Incorporation, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA
4Spansion (Thailand) Limited, 229 Moo 4 Changwattana Road, Nonthaburi 11120, Thailand
Received 14 October 2012; Revised 15 December 2012; Accepted 16 December 2012
Academic Editor: Sheng-Rui Jian
Copyright © 2013 C. L. Gan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Gan, T. T. Toong, C. O. Lim, and C. Y. Ng, “Environmental friendly package development by using copper wirebonding,” in Proceedings of the 34th International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Conference (IEMT '10), Malacca, Malaysia, December 2010.
- C. L. Gan, E. K. Ng, B. L. Chan, and U. Hashim, “Reliability challenges of Cu wire deployment in flash memory packaging,” in Proceedings of IEEE CPMT IMPACT, pp. 498–501, Taipei, Taiwan, 2012.
- C. L. Gan, E. K. Ng, B. L. Chan, U. Hashim, and F. C. Classe, “Technical barriers and development of Cu wirebonding in nanoelectronic device packaging,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 173025, 7 pages, 2012.
- C. W. Tan, A. R. Daud, and M. A. Yarmo, “Corrosion study at Cu-Al interface in microelectronics packaging,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 191, no. 1–4, pp. 67–73, 2002.
- T. Uno, “Bond reliability under humid environment for coated copper wire and bare copper wire,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 148–156, 2011.
- Z. W. Zhong, “Overview of wire bonding using copper wire or insulated wire,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 4–12, 2011.
- J. Chen, D. Degryse, P. Ratchev, and I. De Wolf, “Mechanical issues of Cu-to-Cu wire bonding,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 539–545, 2004.
- G. G. Harman, Wirebonding in Microelectronic: Materials, Processes, Reliability, and Yield, McGraw Hill, New Year, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- C. J. Hang, C. Q. Wang, M. Mayer, Y. H. Tian, Y. Zhou, and H. H. Wang, “Growth behavior of Cu/Al intermetallic compounds and cracks in copper ball bonds during isothermal aging,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 416–424, 2008.
- JEDEC Standard JESD 47, “Stress test driven qualification of integrated circuits,” 2012.
- J. W. McPherson, Reliability Physics and Engineering: Time to Failure Modeling, Springer, 1st edition, 2010.
- C. L. Gan, E. K. Ng, B. L. Chan, T. Kwuanjai, and U. Hashim, “Wearout reliability study of Cu and Au wires used in flash memory fine line BGA package,” in Proceedings of IEEE CPMT IMPACT, pp. 494–497, 2012.
- H. Xu, C. Liu, V. V. Silberschmidt, and Z. Chen, “Growth of intermetallic compounds in thermosonic copper wire bonding on aluminum metallization,” Journal of Electronic Materials, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2010.
- H. Xu, C. Liu, V. V. Silberschmidt, S. S. Pramana, T. J. White, and Z. Chen, “A re-examination of the mechanism of thermosonic copper ball bonding on aluminium metallization pads,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 165–168, 2009.
- H. Xu, C. Liu, V. V. Silberschmidt et al., “Behavior of aluminum oxide, intermetallics and voids in Cu-Al wire bonds,” Acta Materialia, vol. 59, no. 14, pp. 5661–5673, 2011.
- C. W. Tan and A. R. Daud, “The effects of aged Cu-Al intermetallics to electrical resistance in microelectronics packaging,” Microelectronics International, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 38–43, 2002.
- J. P. Shaffer, A. Saxena, S. D. Antolovich, T. H. Sanders, and S. B. Warner, The Science and Design of Engineering Materials, Richard D. Irwin, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1995.
- R. Pelzer, M. Nelhiebel, R. Zink, S. Wohlert, A. Lassnig, and G. Khatibi, “High temperature storage reliability investigation of the Al-Cu wirebond interface,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 52, no. 9-10, pp. 1966–1970, 2012.
- H. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, K. W. Paik et al., “Effects of Cu/Al intermetallic compound (IMC) on copper wire and aluminum pad bondability,” IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 367–374, 2003.
- H. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, K. W. Paik, et al., “Effects of Cu/Al intermetallic compound (IMC) on copper wire and aluminum pad bondability,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Electronic Materials and Packaging, pp. 44–51, 2001.
- C. M. Zulrich, A. Hashibon, J. Svoboda, C. Elsasser, D. Helm, and H. Riedel, “Diffusion Kinetics in aluminium-gold bond contacts from first principles density functional calculations,” Acta Materialia, vol. 59, pp. 7634–7644, 2011.
- F. C. Classe and S. Gaddamraja, “Long term isothermal reliability of copper wire bonded to thin 6.5 μm aluminum,” in Proceedings of the 34th International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS '11), pp. 685–689, 2011.
- “Accelerated moisture resistance- Unbiased HAST Test,” JEDEC Specification JESD22A-118A, 2011.
- C. F. Yu, C. M. Chan, L. C. Chan, and K. C. Hsieh, “Cu wire bond microstructure analysis and failure mechanism,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 119–124, 2011.
- S. Murali, N. Srikanth, Y. M. Wong, and C. J. Vath, “Fundamentals of thermo-sonic copper wire bonding in microelectronics packaging,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 615–623, 2007.
- S. H. Kim, J. W. Park, S. J. Hong, and J. T. Moon, “The interface behavior of the Cu-Al bond system in high humidity conditions,” in Proceedings of 60th IEEE CPMT ECTC, pp. 545–549, 2010.
- M. N. Zulkifli, S. Abdullah, N. K. Othman, and A. Jalar, “Some thoughts on bondability and strength of gold wire bonding,” Gold Bulletin, vol. 8, 2012.
- C. D. Breach and F. Wulff, “New observations on intermetallic compound formation in gold ball bonds: general growth patterns and identification of two forms of Au4Al,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 973–981, 2004.
- C. D. Breach and F. Wulff, “Oxidation of Au4Al in un-moulded gold ballbonds after high temperature storage (HTS) in air at 175 °C,” Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 2112–2121, 2006.
- A. Karpel, G. Gur, Z. Atzmon, and W. D. Kaplan, “Microstructural evolution of gold-aluminum wire-bonds,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 2347–2357, 2007.
- M. K. Md Arshad, I. Ahmad, A. Jalar, G. Omar, and U. Hashim, “The effects of multiple zincation process on aluminum bond pad surface for electroless nickel immersion gold deposition,” Journal of Electronic Packaging, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 246–250, 2006.