- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 503069, 7 pages
Effects of Polymeric Additives on the Crystallization and Release Behavior of Amorphous Ibuprofen
1Department of Chemical Engineering, Soongsil University, Seoul 156-743, Republic of Korea
2School of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul 151-744, Republic of Korea
Received 28 April 2013; Accepted 30 June 2013
Academic Editor: Krasimir Vasilev
Copyright © 2013 Su Yang Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J.-U. A. H. Junghanns and R. H. Müller, “Nanocrystal technology, drug delivery and clinical applications,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 295–309, 2008.
- A. A. Noyes and W. R. Whitney, “The rate of solution of solid substances in their own solutions,” The Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 930–934, 1897.
- A. Dokoumetzidis and P. Macheras, “A century of dissolution research: from noyes and whitney to the biopharmaceutics classification system,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 321, no. 1-2, pp. 1–11, 2006.
- T. Yang, C. Kim, J. Jho, and I. W. Kim, “Regulating fluoride uptake by calcium phosphate minerals with polymeric additives,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 401, pp. 126–136, 2012.
- R. Shegokar and R. H. Müller, “Nanocrystals: industrially feasible multifunctional formulation technology for poorly soluble actives,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 399, no. 1-2, pp. 129–139, 2010.
- A. Kumari, S. K. Yadav, and S. C. Yadav, “Biodegradable polymeric nanoparticles based drug delivery systems,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2010.
- B. C. Hancock and M. Parks, “What is the true solubility advantage for amorphous pharmaceuticals?” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 397–404, 2000.
- N. J. Babu and A. Nangia, “Solubility advantage of amorphous drugs and pharmaceutical cocrystals,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 2662–2679, 2011.
- B. Rodríguez-Spong, C. P. Price, A. Jayasankar, A. J. Matzger, and N. Rodríguez-Hornedo, “General principles of pharmaceutical solid polymorphism: a supramolecular perspective,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 241–274, 2004.
- S. Lee, G. Yu, K. Shin, and I. W. Kim, “Estimating the solubility of amorphous ibuprofen using nanoporous anodic aluminum oxide as a solidification template,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 2348–2353, 2013.
- S. G. Kazarian and K. L. Andrew Chan, “‘Chemical photography’ of drug release,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 26, pp. 9866–9872, 2003.
- D. Velasco, C. B. Danoux, J. A. Redondo et al., “PH-sensitive polymer hydrogels derived from morpholine to prevent the crystallization of ibuprofen,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 140–145, 2011.
- P. J. Marsac, T. Li, and L. S. Taylor, “Estimation of drug-polymer miscibility and solubility in amorphous solid dispersions using experimentally determined interaction parameters,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 139–151, 2009.
- H. Masuda, H. Yamada, M. Satoh, H. Asoh, M. Nakao, and T. Tamamura, “Highly ordered nanochannel-array architecture in anodic alumina,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 71, no. 19, pp. 2770–2772, 1997.
- A. P. Li, F. Müller, A. Bimer, K. Nielsch, and U. Gösele, “Hexagonal pore arrays with a 50–420 nm interpore distance formed by self-organization in anodic alumina,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 6023–6026, 1998.
- Y. Gotoh, R. Igarashi, Y. Ohkoshi, M. Nagura, K. Akamatsu, and S. Deki, “Preparation and structure of copper nanoparticle/poly(acrylic acid) composite films,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 2548–2552, 2000.
- S. G. Kazarian and G. G. Martirosyan, “Spectroscopy of polymer/drug formulations processed with supercritical fluids: in situ ATR-IR and Raman study of impregnation of ibuprofen into PVP,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 232, no. 1-2, pp. 81–90, 2002.
- W. Xu, H. Chen, H. Li, and M. Wang, “Fabrication of carbon black/crosslinked poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) core-shell nanoparticles stable in water,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 266, no. 1–3, pp. 68–72, 2005.
- G. G. Couto, J. J. Klein, W. H. Schreiner, D. H. Mosca, A. J. A. de Oliveira, and A. J. G. Zarbin, “Nickel nanoparticles obtained by a modified polyol process: synthesis, characterization, and magnetic properties,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 311, no. 2, pp. 461–468, 2007.
- P. Xing, L. Dong, Z. Feng, and H. Feng, “Miscibility and specific interactions in poly(β-hydroxybutyrate-co-β-hydroxyvalerate) and poly(p-vinylphenol) blends,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1207–1211, 1998.
- S. W. Kuo, “Effect of copolymer compositions on the miscibility behavior and specific interactions of poly(styrene-co-vinyl phenol)/poly(vinyl phenyl ketone) blends,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 20, pp. 4420–4426, 2008.
- I. Tanis and K. Karatasos, “Association of a weakly acidic anti-inflammatory drug (ibuprofen) with a poly(amidoamine) dendrimer as studied by molecular dynamics Simulations,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 113, no. 31, pp. 10984–10993, 2009.
- R. Lizárraga, E. Holmström, S. C. Parker, and C. Arrouvel, “Structural characterization of amorphous alumina and its polymorphs from first-principles XPS and NMR calculations,” Physical Review B, vol. 83, Article ID 094201, 9 pages, 2011.
- J. H. Ko, “Poly(N-vinyl pyrrolidone,” in Polymer Data Handbook, J. E. Mark, Ed., pp. 962–964, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- N. Hernandez-Montero, E. Meaurio, K. Elmiloudi, and J. R. Sarasua, “Novel miscible blends of poly(p-dioxanone) with poly(vinyl phenol),” European Polymer Journal, vol. 48, pp. 1455–1465, 2012.
- R. A. Orwoll and Y. S. Chong, “Poly(acrylic acid),” in Polymer Data Handbook, J. E. Mark, Ed., pp. 252–253, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- X. Qiu, E. Donath, and H. Möhwald, “Permeability of ibuprofen in various polyelectrolyte multilayers,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 286, no. 10, pp. 591–597, 2001.
- D.-J. Lee, S. Lee, and I. W. Kim, “Effects of humidity and surfaces on the melt crystallization of ibuprofen,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 10296–10304, 2012.
- M. K. Lee, H. Lee, I. W. Kim, and J. Lee, “Novel polymorphic form of adefovir dipivoxil derived from polymer-directed crystallization,” Pharmazie, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 766–770, 2011.