- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 514917, 8 pages
Efficient Removal of Cr(VI) with Fe/Mn Mixed Metal Oxide Nanocomposites Synthesized by a Grinding Method
1Center for Energy Conservation Technology, School of Engineering, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou 510006, China
2Department of Chemistry, School of Life Science and Technology, Jinan University, Guangzhou 510632, China
Received 5 January 2013; Accepted 13 February 2013
Academic Editor: Huijun Wu
Copyright © 2013 Wang Weilong and Fu Xiaobo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Zamzow, B. R. Eichbaum, K. R. Sandgren, and D. E. Shanks, “Removal of heavy metals and other cations from wastewater using zeolites,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 25, no. 13–15, pp. 1555–1569, 1990.
- R. J. Crawford, I. H. Harding, and D. E. Mainwaring, “Adsorption and coprecipitation of multiple heavy metal ions onto the hydrated oxides of iron and chromium,” Langmuir, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3057–3062, 1993.
- S. R. Qiu, H. F. Lai, M. J. Roberson et al., “Removal of contaminants from aqueous solution by reaction with iron surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 2230–2236, 2000.
- R. Apak, E. Tütem, M. Hügül, and J. Hizal, “Heavy metal cation retention by unconventional sorbents (red muds and fly ashes),” Water Research, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 430–440, 1998.
- N. Ballav, A. Maity, and S. B. Mishra, “High efficient removal of chromium(VI) using glycine doped polypyrrole adsorbent from aqueous solution,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 198, pp. 536–546, 2012.
- S. R. Singh and A. P. Singh, “Treatment of water containg chromium (VI) using rice husk carbon as a newlow cost adsorbent,” International Journal of Environmental Research, vol. 6, pp. 917–924, 2012.
- J. Wang, L. Zhao, W. J. Duan, L. L. Han, and Y. F. Chen, “Adsorption of aqueous Cr(VI) by novel fibrous adsorbent with amino and quaternary ammonium groups,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 51, pp. 13655–13662, 2012.
- S. J. Ergas, B. M. Therriault, and D. A. Reckhow, “Evaluation of water reuse technologies for the textile industry,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 315–323, 2006.
- S. R. Chowdhury, E. K. Yanful, and A. R. Pratt, “Chemical states in XPS and Raman analysis during removal of Cr(VI) from contaminated water by mixed maghemite-magnetite nanoparticles,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 235, pp. 246–256, 2012.
- D. C. Sharma and C. F. Forster, “Removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solutions by granular activated carbon,” Water SA, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 153–160, 1996.
- Y. S. Ho, D. A. J. Wase, and C. F. Forster, “Kinetic studies of competitive heavy metal adsorption by sphagnum moss peat,” Environmental Technology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 1996.
- H. C. P. Srivastava, R. P. Mathur, and I. Mehrotra, “Removal of chromium from industrial effluent by adsorption on sawdust,” Environmental Technology Letters, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 1986.
- L. S. Zhong, J. S. Hu, H. P. Liang, A. M. Cao, W. G. Song, and L. J. Wan, “Self-assembled 3D flowerlike iron oxide nanostructures and their application in water treatment,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 2426–2848, 2006.
- L. S. Zhong, J. S. Hu, A. M. Cao, Q. Liu, W. G. Song, and L. J. Wan, “3D flowerlike ceria micro/nanocomposite structure and its application for water treatment and CO removal,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1648–1655, 2007.
- J. Hu, G. Chen, and I. M. C. Lo, “Selective removal of heavy metals from industrial wastewater using maghemite nanoparticle: performance and mechanisms,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, vol. 132, no. 7, pp. 709–715, 2006.
- J. Hu, G. Chen, and I. M. C. Lo, “Removal and recovery of Cr(VI) from wastewater by maghemite nanoparticles,” Water Research, vol. 39, no. 18, pp. 4528–4536, 2005.
- J. Hu, I. M. C. Lo, and G. Chen, “Fast removal and recovery of Cr(VI) using surface-modified jacobsite (MnFe2O4) nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 24, pp. 11173–11179, 2005.
- J. Hu, I. M. C. Lo, and G. Chen, “Performance and mechanism of chromate (VI) adsorption by δ-FeOOH-coated maghemite (γ-Fe2O3) nanoparticles,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 76–82, 2007.
- V. V. Molchanov and R. A. Buyanov, “Mechanochemistry of catalysts,” Russian Chemical Reviews, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 435–450, 2000.
- K. Muthukumaran, N. Balasubramanian, and T. V. Ramakrishna, “Removal and recovery of chromium from plating waste using chemically activated carbon,” Metal Finishing, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 46–53, 1995.
- G. Bonsdorf, K. Schäfer, K. Teske, H. Langbein, and H. Ullmann, “Stability region and oxygen stoichiometry of manganese ferrite,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 110, no. 1-2, pp. 73–82, 1998.
- Q. Li, G. Luo, J. Li, and X. Xia, “Preparation of ultrafine MnO2 powders by the solid state method reaction of KMnO4 with Mn(II) salts at room temperature,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 137, no. 1–3, pp. 25–29, 2003.
- J. Lu, S. Yang, K. M. Ng et al., “Solid-state synthesis of monocrystalline iron oxide nanoparticle based ferrofluid suitable for magnetic resonance imaging contrast application,” Nanotechnology, vol. 17, no. 23, pp. 5812–5820, 2006.
- M. Ding, B. H. W. S. De Jong, S. J. Roosendaal, and A. Vredenberg, “XPS studies on the electronic structure of bonding between solid and solutes: adsorption of arsenate, chromate, phosphate, Pb2+, and Zn2+ ions on amorphous black ferric oxyhydroxide,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1209–1219, 2000.
- M. Dimitri, G. Vladimir, and W. Abraham, Ion Exchange, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2000.