- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 536291, 9 pages
Bovine Serum Albumin-Loaded Chitosan/Dextran Nanoparticles: Preparation and Evaluation of Ex Vivo Colloidal Stability in Serum
Centre for Drug Delivery Research, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur Campus, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 1 January 2013; Revised 22 March 2013; Accepted 7 April 2013
Academic Editor: Xing-Jie Liang
Copyright © 2013 Haliza Katas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Donaldson, X. Y. Li, and W. MacNee, “Ultrafine (nanometre) particle mediated lung injury,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 29, no. 5-6, pp. 553–560, 1998.
- G. Oberdorster, J. Ferin, R. Gelein, S. C. Soderholm, and J. Finkelstein, “Role of the alveolar macrophage in lung injury: studies with ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 97, pp. 193–199, 1992.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Madler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nano-level,” Science, vol. 311, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- G. Oberdörster, E. Oberdörster, and J. Oberdörster, “An emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, pp. 823–839, 2005.
- J. M. Balbus, A. D. Maynard, V. L. Colvin et al., “Hazard assessment for nanoparticles: report from an interdisciplinary workshop,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 115, no. 11, pp. 1654–1659, 2007.
- I. Lynch, T. Cedervall, M. Lundqvist, C. Cabaleiro-Lago, S. Linse, and K. A. Dawson, “The nanoparticle-protein complex as a biological entity; a complex fluids and surface science challenge for the 21st century,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 134-135, pp. 167–174, 2007.
- T. Cedervall, I. Lynch, S. Lindman et al., “Probing the interactions of proteins and nanoparticles,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 2029–2030, 2007.
- A. J. Vander, J. H. Sherman, and D. S. Luciano, Human Physiology: The Mechanisms of Body Function, McGraw-Hill, Boston, Mass, USA, 7th edition, 1998.
- J. van der Valk, D. Brunner, K. De Smet et al., “Optimization of chemically defined cell culture media—replacing fetal bovine serum in mammalian in vitro methods,” Toxicology In Vitro, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1053–1063, 2010.
- N. Nafee, M. Schneider, U. F. Schaefer, and C. M. Lehr, “Relevance of the colloidal stability of chitosan/PLGA nanoparticles on their cytotoxicity profile,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 381, no. 2, pp. 130–139, 2009.
- O. Zelphati, L. S. Uyechi, L. G. Barron, and F. C. Szoka Jr., “Effect of serum components on the physico-chemical properties of cationic lipid/oligonucleotide complexes and on their interactions with cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1390, no. 2, pp. 119–133, 1998.
- L. Otvos Jr., C. Snyder, B. Condie, P. Bulet, and J. D. Wade, “Chimeric antimicrobial peptides exhibit multiple modes of action,” International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 29–42, 2005.
- M. J. Cooney, J. Petermann, C. Lau, and S. D. Minteer, “Characterization and evaluation of hydrophobically modified chitosan scaffolds: towards design of enzyme immobilized flow-through electrodes,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 428–435, 2009.
- M. Peesan, P. Supaphol, and R. Rujiravanit, “Preparation and characterization of hexanoyl chitosan/polylactide blend films,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 343–350, 2005.
- H. K. No, S. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, N. Y. Park, and W. Prinyawiwatkul, “Stability and antibacterial activity of chitosan solutions affected by storage temperature and time,” Carbohydydrate Polymers, vol. 65, pp. 174–178, 2006.
- Q. Gan and T. Wang, “Chitosan nanoparticle as protein delivery carrier—systematic examination of fabrication conditions for efficient loading and release,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2007.
- M. Rahimnejad, M. Jahanshahi, and G. D. Najafpour, “Production of biological nanoparticles from bovine serum albumin for drug delivery,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 20, pp. 1918–1923, 2006.
- P. Calvo, C. Remunan, J. J. L. Vila, and M. J. Alonso, “Novel hydrophilic chitosan-polyethylene oxide nanoparticles as protein carriers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 63, pp. 125–132, 1997.
- Y. Chen, V. J. Mohanraj, F. Wang, and H. A. E. Benson, “Designing chitosan-dextran sulphate nanoparticles using charge ratios,” AAPS Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, vol. 8, pp. 131–139, 2007.
- R. H. Müller, S. Maaßen, H. Weyhers, and W. Mehnert, “Phagocytic uptake and cytotoxicity of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) sterically stabilized with poloxamine 908 and poloxamer 407,” Journal of Drug Targeting, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 161–170, 1996.
- H. Beatrice, P. Saulnier, B. Pech, J. E. Proust, and J. P. Benoit, “Physico-chemical stability of colloidal lipid particles,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, pp. 4283–4300, 2003.
- S. Papadimitriou, D. Bikiaris, K. Avgoustakis, E. Karavas, and M. Georgarakis, “Chitosan nanoparticles loaded with dorzolamide and pramipexole,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 44–54, 2008.
- E. Leo, C. Contado, F. Bortolotti et al., “Nanoparticle formulation may affect the stabilization of an antiischemic prodrug,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 307, no. 1, pp. 103–113, 2006.
- Y. Chen, V. J. Mohanraj, and J. E. Parkin, “Chitosan-dextran sulfate nanoparticles for delivery of an anti-angiogenesis peptide,” Letters in Peptide Science, vol. 10, no. 5-6, pp. 621–629, 2003.
- M. G. Anhorn, M. Hanns-Christian, and K. Langer, “Pharmaceutical nanotechnology,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 363, pp. 162–169, 2008.
- P. Calvo, C. Remuñan-López, J. L. Vila-Jato, and M. J. Alonso, “Chitosan and chitosan/ethylene oxide-propylene oxide block copolymer nanoparticles as novel carriers for proteins and vaccines,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 14, pp. 1431–1436, 1997.
- N. Fogh-Andersen, P. J. Bjerrum, and O. Siggaard-Andersen, “Ionic binding, net charge, and Donnan effect of human serum albumin as a function of pH,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 48–52, 1993.
- J. Qi, P. Yao, F. He, C. Yu, and C. Huang, “Nanoparticles with dextran/chitosan shell and BSA/chitosan core—doxorubicin loading and delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 393, no. 1-2, pp. 177–185, 2010.
- J. Dobson, “Gene therapy progress and prospects: magnetic nanoparticle-based gene delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 283–287, 2006.
- T. Blunk, M. Luck, A. Calvor et al., “Kinetics of plasma protein adsorption on model particles for controlled drug delivery and drug targeting,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 262–268, 1996.
- T. M. Goppert and R. H. Muller, “Adsorption kinetics of plasma proteins on solid lipid nanoparticles for drug targeting,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 302, pp. 172–186, 2005.
- H. Katas, Z. Hussain, and T. C. Ling, “Chitosan nanoparticles as a percutaneous drug delivery system for hydrocortisone,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 372725, 11 pages, 2012.