- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 606940, 8 pages
Characterization of Nanoporous Ceramic Granules Made with Coal Fly Ash and Their Utilization in Phenol Removal from Water
College of Civil Engineering, Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing 210037, China
Received 1 December 2012; Accepted 13 February 2013
Academic Editor: Shao-Wen Cao
Copyright © 2013 Zhaoqian Jing. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Wang, M. Soudi, L. Li, and Z. H. Zhu, “Coal ash conversion into effective adsorbents for removal of heavy metals and dyes from wastewater,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 133, no. 1–3, pp. 243–251, 2006.
- A. Olgun, Y. Erdogan, Y. Ayhan, and B. Zeybek, “Development of ceramic tiles from coal fly ash and tincal ore waste,” Ceramics International, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 153–158, 2005.
- A. Singh, R. K. Sharma, and S. B. Agrawal, “Effects of fly ash incorporation on heavy metal accumulation, growth and yield responses of Beta vulgaris plants,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 15, pp. 7200–7207, 2008.
- S. Wang, Q. Ma, and Z. H. Zhu, “Characteristics of coal fly ash and adsorption application,” Fuel, vol. 87, no. 15-16, pp. 3469–3473, 2008.
- A. H. Norzilah, A. Fakhru’l-Razi, S. Y. Thomas Choong, and A. Luqman Chuah, “Surface modification effects on CNTs adsorption of methylene blue and phenol,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2011, Article ID 495676, 18 pages, 2011.
- M. Sarkar, P. K. Acharya, and B. Bhattacharya, “Modeling the adsorption kinetics of some priority organic pollutants in water from diffusion and activation energy parameters,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 266, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 2003.
- S. H. Lin and R. S. Juang, “Adsorption of phenol and its derivatives from water using synthetic resins and low-cost natural adsorbents: a review,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 1336–1349, 2009.
- R. Aravindhan, J. R. Rao, and B. U. Nair, “Application of a chemically modified green macro alga as a biosorbent for phenol removal,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 1877–1883, 2009.
- V. C. Srivastava, M. M. Swamy, I. D. Mall, B. Prasad, and I. M. Mishra, “Adsorptive removal of phenol by bagasse fly ash and activated carbon: equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamics,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 272, no. 1-2, pp. 89–104, 2006.
- M. Sarkar and P. K. Acharya, “Use of fly ash for the removal of phenol and its analogues from contaminated water,” Waste Management, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 559–570, 2006.
- Z. Jing, Y. Y. Li, S. Cao, and Y. Liu, “Performance of double-layer biofilter packed with coal fly ash ceramic granules in treating highly polluted river water,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 120, pp. 212–217, 2012.
- G. Lu, G. Q. Lu, and Z. M. Xiao, “Mechanical properties of porous materials,” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 359–368, 1999.
- Y. Liu, L. Zheng, X. Li, and S. Xie, “SEM/EDS and XRD characterization of raw and washed MSWI fly ash sintered at different temperatures,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 161–173, 2009.
- C. Kang, Y. Wang, R. Li et al., “A modified spectrophotometric method for the determination of trace amounts of phenol in water,” Microchemical Journal, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 161–171, 2000.
- Y. Xue, S. Wu, H. Hou, and J. Zha, “Experimental investigation of basic oxygen furnace slag used as aggregate in asphalt mixture,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 261–268, 2006.
- B. G. Kutchko and A. G. Kim, “Fly ash characterization by SEM-EDS,” Fuel, vol. 85, no. 17-18, pp. 2537–2544, 2006.
- M. Inagaki, S. Kobayashi, F. Kojin, N. Tanaka, T. Morishita, and B. Tryba, “Pore structure of carbons coated on ceramic particles,” Carbon, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 3153–3158, 2004.
- R. M. Prasad, G. Mera, K. Morita, et al., “Thermal decomposition of carbon-rich polymer-derived silicon carbonitrides leading to ceramics with high specific surface area and tunable micro- and mesoporosity,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 477–484, 2012.
- R. Tailor, B. Shah, and A. Shah, “Sorptive removal of phenol by zeolitic bagasse fly ash: equilibrium, kinetics, and column studies,” Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1437–1448, 2012.
- R. L. Tseng, K. T. Wu, F. C. Wu, and R. S. Juang, “Kinetic studies on the adsorption of phenol, 4-chlorophenol, and 2,4-dichlorophenol from water using activated carbons,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 2208–2214, 2010.
- A. Bhatnagar and M. Sillanpää, “Utilization of agro-industrial and municipal waste materials as potential adsorbents for water treatment-A review,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 157, no. 2-3, pp. 277–296, 2010.
- S. Wang and H. Wu, “Environmental-benign utilisation of fly ash as low-cost adsorbents,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 482–501, 2006.
- H. L. Wang and W. F. Jiang, “Adsorption of Dinitro Butyl Phenol (DNBP) from aqueous solutions by fly ash,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 46, no. 16, pp. 5405–5411, 2007.
- M. A. Hararah, K. A. Ibrahim, A. H. Al-Muhtaseb, R. I. Yousef, A. Abu-Surrah, and A. Qatatsheh, “Removal of phenol from aqueous solutions by adsorption onto polymeric adsorbents,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 1908–1913, 2010.
- F. Banat, S. Al-Asheh, and L. Al-Makhadmeh, “Utilization of raw and activated date pits for the removal of phenol from aqueous solutions,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 80–86, 2004.
- A. A. Khan and R. P. Singh, “Adsorption thermodynamics of carbofuran on Sn (IV) arsenosilicate in H+, Na+ and Ca2+ forms,” Colloids and Surfaces, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 33–42, 1987.
- H. B. Senturk, D. Ozdes, A. Gundogdu, C. Duran, and M. Soylak, “Removal of phenol from aqueous solutions by adsorption onto organomodified Tirebolu bentonite: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic study,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 353–362, 2009.
- V. Gökmen and A. Serpen, “Equilibrium and kinetic studies on the adsorption of dark colored compounds from apple juice using adsorbent resin,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 221–227, 2002.
- K. M. Parida and A. C. Pradhan, “Removal of phenolic compounds from aqueous solutions by adsorption onto manganese nodule leached residue,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 173, no. 1–3, pp. 758–764, 2010.
- Y. H. Shen, “Removal of phenol from water by adsorption-flocculation using organobentonite,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1107–1114, 2002.
- M. Tomaszewska, S. Mozia, and A. W. Morawski, “Removal of organic matter by coagulation enhanced with adsorption on PAC,” Desalination, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 79–87, 2004.
- A. S. Alzaydien and W. Manasreh, “Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies on the adsorption of phenol onto activated phosphate rock,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 172–181, 2009.
- B. Shah, R. Tailor, and A. Shah, “Adaptation of bagasse fly ash, a sugar industry solid waste into zeolitic material for the uptake of phenol,” Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 358–367, 2011.