- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 627385, 11 pages
Solvothermal Synthesis of TiO2 Photocatalysts in Ketone Solvents with Low Boiling Points
1Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences, 415 Chien-Kung Road, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
2Department of Chemical and Biotechnology Engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
3Department of Chemical Engineering, Da Nang University of Technology, Da Nang, Vietnam
Received 4 February 2013; Revised 13 April 2013; Accepted 18 April 2013
Academic Editor: Yanbao Zhao
Copyright © 2013 Chau Thanh Nam et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Fujishima, T. N. Rao, and D. A. Tryk, “Titanium dioxide photocatalysis,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2000.
- M. Kitano, M. Matsuoka, M. Ueshima, and M. Anpo, “Recent developments in titanium oxide-based photocatalysts,” Applied Catalysis A, vol. 325, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2007.
- T. Kasuga, M. Hiramatsu, A. Hoson, T. Sekino, and K. Niihara, “Titania nanotubes prepared by chemical processing,” Advanced Materials, vol. 11, no. 15, pp. 1307–1311, 1999.
- C. C. Wang and J. Y. Ying, “Sol-gel synthesis and hydrothermal processing of anatase and rutile titania nanocrystals,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 3113–3120, 1999.
- T. L. R. Hewer, E. C. C. Souza, T. S. Martins, E. N. S. Muccillo, and R. S. Freire, “Influence of neodymium ions on photocatalytic activity of TiO2 synthesized by sol-gel and precipitation methods,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 336, no. 1-2, pp. 58–63, 2011.
- X. Chen and S. S. Mao, “Titanium dioxide nanomaterials: synthesis, properties, modifications and applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 2891–2959, 2007.
- S. Sreekantan and L. C. Wei, “Study on the formation and photocatalytic activity of titanate nanotubes synthesized via hydrothermal method,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 490, no. 1-2, pp. 436–442, 2010.
- S. Mozia, E. Borowiak-Paleń, J. Przepiórski et al., “Physico-chemical properties and possible photocatalytic applications of titanate nanotubes synthesized via hydrothermal method,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 263–272, 2010.
- T. Kasuga, M. Hiramatsu, A. Hoson, T. Sekino, and K. Niihara, “Formation of titanium oxide nanotube,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3160–3163, 1998.
- G. H. Du, Q. Chen, R. C. Che, Z. Y. Yuan, and L. M. Peng, “Preparation and structure analysis of titanium oxide nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 79, no. 22, pp. 3702–3705, 2001.
- B. D. Yao, Y. F. Chan, X. Y. Zhang, W. F. Zhang, Z. Y. Yang, and N. Wang, “Formation mechanism of TiO2 nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 281–283, 2003.
- B. Poudel, W. Z. Wang, C. Dames et al., “Formation of crystallized titania nanotubes and their transformation into nanowires,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1935–1940, 2005.
- M. A. Khan, H. T. Jung, and O. B. Yang, “Synthesis and characterization of ultrahigh crystalline TiO2 nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 13, pp. 6626–6630, 2006.
- R. Menzel, A. M. Peiró, J. R. Durrant, and M. S. P. Shaffer, “Impact of hydrothermal processing conditions on high aspect ratio titanate nanostructures,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 25, pp. 6059–6068, 2006.
- J. Huang, Y. Cao, Q. Huang et al., “High-temperature formation of titanate nanotubes and the transformation mechanism of nanotubes into nanowires,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 3632–3637, 2009.
- D. V. Bavykin and F. C. Walsh, “Elongated titanate nanostructures and their applications,” European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, no. 8, pp. 977–997, 2009.
- M. Kang, S. Y. Lee, C. H. Chung et al., “Characterization of a TiO2 photocatalyst synthesized by the solvothermal method and its catalytic performance for CHCl3 decomposition,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 144, no. 2-3, pp. 185–191, 2001.
- S. Yin, Y. Fujishiro, J. Wu, M. Aki, and T. Sato, “Synthesis and photocatalytic properties of fibrous titania by solvothermal reactions,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 137, no. 1–3, pp. 45–48, 2003.
- H. Kominami, J. I. Kato, S. Y. Murakami et al., “Solvothermal syntheses of semiconductor photocatalysts of ultra-high activities,” Catalysis Today, vol. 84, no. 3-4, pp. 181–189, 2003.
- R. K. Wahi, Y. Liu, J. C. Falkner, and V. L. Colvin, “Solvothermal synthesis and characterization of anatase TiO2 nanocrystals with ultrahigh surface area,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 302, no. 2, pp. 530–536, 2006.
- R. C. Xie and J. K. Shang, “Morphological control in solvothermal synthesis of titanium oxide,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 16, pp. 6583–6589, 2007.
- K. Das, S. K. Panda, and S. Chaudhuri, “Solvent-controlled synthesis of TiO2 1D nanostructures: growth mechanism and characterization,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 310, no. 16, pp. 3792–3799, 2008.
- J. Yan, S. Feng, H. Lu et al., “Alcohol induced liquid-phase synthesis of rutile titania nanotubes,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 2010.
- B. Santara and P. K. Giri, “Impact of reaction temperature, stirring and cosolvent on the solvothermal synthesis of anatase TiO2 and TiO2/titanate hybrid nanostructures: elucidating the growth mechanism,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 928–936, 2013.
- G. Demazeau, “Solvothermal reactions: an original route for the synthesis of novel materials,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2104–2114, 2008.
- Q. R. Hu, S. L. Wang, P. Jiang, H. Xu, Y. Zhang, and W. H. Tang, “Synthesis of ZnO nanostructures in organic solvents and their photoluminescence properties,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 496, no. 1-2, pp. 494–499, 2010.
- K. Byrappa and T. Adschiri, “Hydrothermal technology for nanotechnology,” Progress in Crystal Growth and Characterization of Materials, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 117–166, 2007.
- S. Yin, Y. Aita, M. Komatsu, J. Wang, Q. Tang, and T. Sato, “Synthesis of excellent visible-light responsive TiO2-XNy photocatalyst by a homogeneous precipitation- solvothermal process,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 674–682, 2005.
- U. Sulaeman, S. Yin, and T. Sato, “Solvothermal synthesis and photocatalytic properties of nitrogen-doped SrTiO3 nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2010, Article ID 629727, 6 pages, 2010.
- M. Kang, “Synthesis of Fe/TiO2 photocatalyst with nanometer size by solvothermal method and the effect of H2O addition on structural stability and photodecomposition of methanol,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 197, no. 1-2, pp. 173–183, 2003.
- A. Sclafani, L. Palmisano, and M. Schiavello, “Influence of the preparation methods of TiO2 on the photocatalytic degradation of phenol in aqueous dispersion,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 829–832, 1990.
- R. Ma, K. Fukuda, T. Sasaki, M. Osada, and Y. Bando, “Structural features of titanate nanotubes/nanobelts revealed by raman, X-ray absorption fine structure and electron diffraction characterizations,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 13, pp. 6210–6214, 2005.
- A. Elsanousi, E. M. Elssfah, J. Zhang, J. Lin, H. S. Song, and C. Tang, “Hydrothermal treatment duration effect on the transformation of titanate nanotubes into nanoribbons,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 39, pp. 14353–14357, 2007.
- D. L. Morgan, G. Triani, M. G. Blackford, N. A. Raftery, R. L. Frost, and E. R. Waclawik, “Alkaline hydrothermal kinetics in titanate nanostructure formation,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 548–557, 2011.
- R. A. Zárate, S. Fuentes, J. P. Wiff, V. M. Fuenzalida, and A. L. Cabrera, “Chemical composition and phase identification of sodium titanate nanostructures grown from titania by hydrothermal processing,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 628–637, 2007.
- R. A. Spurr and H. A. Myers, “Quantitative analysis of anatase-rutile mixtures with an X-ray diffractometer,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 760–762, 1957.
- T. Ohsaka, F. Izumi, and Y. Fujiki, “Raman spectrum of anatase, TiO2,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 321–324, 1978.
- T. Ohsaka, “Temperature dependence of the Raman spectrum in anatase TiO2,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1661–1668, 1980.
- G. A. Tompsett, G. A. Bowmaker, R. P. Cooney, J. B. Metson, K. A. Rogers, and J. M. Seakins, “The Raman spectrum of brookite, TiO2 (Pbca, Z = 8),” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 1995.
- B. L. Tian, Z. L. Du, Y. M. Ma et al., “Raman investigation of sodium titanate nanotubes under hydrostatic pressures up to 26.9 GPa,” Chinese Physics Letters, vol. 27, no. 2, Article ID 026103, 2010.
- M. Nicol and M. Y. Fong, “Raman spectrum and polymorphism of titanium dioxide at high pressures,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 3167–3170, 1971.
- F. Rojas, I. Kornhauser, C. Felipe et al., “Capillary condensation in heterogeneous mesoporous networks consisting of variable connectivity and pore-size correlation,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 2346–2355, 2002.
- A. J. Maira, J. M. Coronado, V. Augugliaro, K. L. Yeung, J. C. Conesa, and J. Soria, “Fourier transform infrared study of the performance of nanostructured TiO2 particles for the photocatalytic oxidation of gaseous toluene,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. 413–420, 2001.
- G. S. Guo, C. N. He, Z. H. Wang, F. B. Gu, and D. M. Han, “Synthesis of titania and titanate nanomaterials and their application in environmental analytical chemistry,” Talanta, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 1687–1692, 2007.
- H. Jia, Y. Hu, Y. Tang, and L. Zhang, “Synthesis and photoelectrochemical behavior of nanocrystalline CdS film electrodes,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1381–1385, 2006.
- X. Sun and Y. Li, “Synthesis and characterization of ion-exchangeable titanate nanotubes,” Chemistry-A European Journal, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 2229–2238, 2003.
- H. Yu, J. Yu, B. Cheng, and M. Zhou, “Effects of hydrothermal post-treatment on microstructures and morphology of titanate nanoribbons,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 349–354, 2006.
- R. Carrera-Lospez and S. Castillo-Cervantes, “Effect of the phase composition and crystallite size of sol-gel TiO2 nanoparticles on the acetaldehyde photodecomposition,” Superficies y Vacio, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 82–87, 2012.
- G. Demazeau, “Solvothermal and hydrothermal processes: the main physico-chemical factors involved and new trends,” Research on Chemical Intermediates, vol. 37, no. 2–5, pp. 107–123, 2011.