- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 650725, 12 pages
Polystyrene/Montmorillonite Nanocomposites: Study of the Morphology and Effects of Sonication Time on Thermal Stability
1Department of Chemistry, Science College, Princess Nora Bint Abdu Rahman University, Riyadh 1167, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Chemistry, Science College, King Saud University, Riyadh 1145, Saudi Arabia
Received 4 November 2012; Revised 4 January 2013; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Fathallah Karimzadeh
Copyright © 2013 Mashael Alshabanat et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. A. Elbokl and C. Detellier, “Aluminosilicate nanohybrid materials. Intercalation of polystyrene in kaolinite,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 67, no. 5-6, pp. 950–955, 2006.
- M. Alexandre and P. Dubois, “Polymer-layered silicate nanocomposites: preparation, properties and uses of a new class of materials,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–63, 2000.
- B. K. G. Theng, The Chemistry of Clay-Organic Reactions, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- X. Zheng, D. D. Jiang, and C. A. Wilkie, “Polystyrene nanocomposites based on an oligomerically-modified clay containing maleic anhydride,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2006.
- A. S. Moet and A. Akelah, “Polymer-clay nanocomposites: polystyrene grafted onto montmorillonite interlayers,” Materials Letters, vol. 18, no. 1-2, pp. 97–102, 1993.
- P. B. Messersmith and E. P. Giannelis, “Synthesis and characterization of layered silicate-epoxy nanocomposites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1719–1725, 1994.
- D. C. Lee and L. W. Jang, “Preparation and characterization of PMMA-Clay hybrid composite by emulsion polymerization,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 1117–1122, 1996.
- T. Lan, P. D. Kaviratna, and T. J. Pinnavaia, “Epoxy self-polymerization in smectite clays,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 57, no. 6–8, pp. 1005–1010, 1996.
- D. J. Greenland, “Adsorption of polyvinyl alcohols by montmorillonite,” Journal of Colloid Science, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 647–664, 1963.
- E. Ruiz-Hitzky, “Conducting polymers intercalated in layered solids,” Advanced Materials, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 334–340, 1993.
- H. G. Jeon, H. T. Jung, S. W. Lee, and S. D. Hudson, “Morphology of polymer/silicate nanocomposites: high density polyethylene and a nitrile copolymer,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 107–113, 1998.
- S. Wang, C. Long, X. Wang, Q. Li, and Z. Qi, “Synthesis and properties of silicone rubber/organomontmorillonite hybrid nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 1557–1561, 1998.
- Y. Li and H. Ishida, “Solution intercalation of polystyrene and the comparison with poly(ethyl methacrylate),” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 6571–6577, 2003.
- H. Li, Y. Yu, and Y. Yang, “Synthesis of exfoliated polystyrene/montmorillonite nanocomposite by emulsion polymerization using a zwitterion as the clay modifier,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 2016–2022, 2005.
- J. Russell and A. Fraser, “Infrared methods in clay mineralogy,” in Spectroscopic and Chemical Determinative Methods, pp. 11–67, 1994.
- J. Madejová and P. Komadel, “Baseline studies of the clay minerals society source clays: infrared methods,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 410–432, 2001.
- J. Madejová, M. Janek, P. Komadel, H. J. Herbert, and H. C. Moog, “FTIR analyses of water in MX-80 bentonite compacted from high salinary salt solution systems,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 255–271, 2002.
- J. M. Cervantes-Uc, J. V. Cauich-Rodríguez, H. Vázquez-Torres, L. F. Garfias-Mesías, and D. R. Paul, “Thermal degradation of commercially available organoclays studied by TGA-FTIR,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 457, pp. 92–102, 2007.
- M. Önal and Y. Sarikaya, “Some physicochemical properties of methylammonium and ethylenediammonium smectites,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 312, no. 1, pp. 56–61, 2008.
- S. Tzavalas and V. G. Gregoriou, “Infrared spectroscopy as a tool to monitor the extent of intercalation and exfoliation in polymer clay nanocomposites,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2009.
- Y. Ma, J. Zhu, H. He, P. Yuan, W. Shen, and D. Liu, “Infrared investigation of organo-montmorillonites prepared from different surfactants,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 122–129, 2010.
- S. Akyuz and T. Akyuz, “FT-IR spectroscopic investigations of adsorption of 2-, 3- and 4-pyridinecarboxamide on montmorillonite and saponite from Anatolia,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 387–391, 2006.
- W. Xue, H. He, J. Zhu, and P. Yuan, “FTIR investigation of CTAB-Al-montmorillonite complexes,” Spectrochim Acta A, vol. 67, no. 3-4, pp. 1030–1036, 2007.
- K. C. Cole, “Use of infrared spectroscopy to characterize clay intercalation and exfoliation in polymer nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 834–843, 2008.
- M. Önal and Y. Sarikaya, “The effect of organic cation content on the interlayer spacing, surface area and porosity of methyltributylammonium-smectite,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 317, no. 1–3, pp. 323–327, 2008.
- Z. Li, W. T. Jiang, and H. Hong, “An FTIR investigation of hexadecyltrimethylammonium intercalation into rectorite,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 1525–1534, 2008.
- S. Y. Lee and S. J. Kim, “Expansion of smectite by hexadecyltrimethylammonium,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 435–445, 2002.
- G. Edwards, P. Halley, G. Kerven, and D. Martin, “Thermal stability analysis of organo-silicates, using solid phase microextraction techniques,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 429, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2005.
- Y. Xi, Z. Ding, H. He, and R. L. Frost, “Structure of organoclays—an X-ray diffraction and thermogravimetric analysis study,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 277, no. 1, pp. 116–120, 2004.
- W. Xie, Z. Gao, K. Liu et al., “Thermal characterization of organically modified montmorillonite,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 367-368, pp. 339–350, 2001.
- F. Wolters and K. Emmerich, “Thermal reactions of smectites-Relation of dehydroxylation temperature to octahedral structure,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 462, no. 1-2, pp. 80–88, 2007.
- W. A. Zhang, D. Z. Chen, H. Y. Xu, X. F. Shen, and Y. E. Fang, “Influence of four different types of organophilic clay on the morphology and thermal properties of polystyrene/clay nanocomposites prepared by using the γ-ray irradiation technique,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2323–2328, 2003.
- J. Wang, J. Du, J. Zhu, and C. A. Wilkie, “An XPS study of the thermal degradation and flame retardant mechanism of polystyrene-clay nanocomposites,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 249–252, 2002.
- A. Blumstein, “Polymerization of adsorbed monolayers. I. Preparation of the clay-polymer complex,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 3, pp. 2665–2672, 1965.