- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 654716, 6 pages
Durability of LDPE Nanocomposites with Clay, Silica, and Zinc Oxide—Part I: Mechanical Properties of the Nanocomposite Materials
1Chemical Engineering Department, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
2Chemistry Department and Center of Excellence in Nanotechnology (CENT), King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
3Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27607, USA
4Dhahran Techno-Valley, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
Received 12 January 2013; Revised 26 February 2013; Accepted 28 February 2013
Academic Editor: Jinquan Wei
Copyright © 2013 Halim Hamid Redhwi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Zao and R. K. Y. Li, “A study on the photo-degradation of zinc oxide (ZnO) filled polypropylene nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 3207–3217, 2006.
- D. Peng and B. Qu, “Synthesis of exfoliated PP/LDH nanocomposites via melt-intercalation: structure, thermal properties, and photo-oxidative behavior in comparison with PP/MMT nanocomposites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1153–1159, 2006.
- X. D. Chen, Z. Wang, Z. F. Liao, Y. L. Mai, and M. Q. Zhang, “Roles of anatase and rutile TiO2 nanoparticles in photooxidation of polyurethane,” Polymer Testing, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 202–208, 2007.
- L. Zan, Z. Liu, W. Fa, and T. Peng, “Novel polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) TiO2 nanocomposite and its thermal and photic stability,” Wuhan University Journal of Natural Sciences, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 415–418, 2006.
- F. Weichelt, R. Emmler, R. Flyunt, B. Beyer, M. R. Buchmeiser, and M. Beyer, “ZnO-based UV nanocomposites for wood coatings in outdoor applications,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 295, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 2009.
- S. Chmela, A. Kleinova, A. Fiedlerova, et al., “Photo-oxidation of sPP/organoclay nanocomposites,” Journal of Macromolecular Science A, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 821–829, 2005.
- H. Qin, S. Zhang, H. Liu, S. Xie, M. Yang, and D. Shen, “Photo-oxidative degradation of polypropylene/montmorillonite nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 3149–3156, 2005.
- A. P. Kumar, D. Depan, N. S. Tomer, and R. P. Singh, “Nanoscale particles for polymer degradation and stabilization-trends and future perspectives,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 479–515, 2009.
- M. Alexandre, P. Dubois, T. Sun, J. M. Garces, and R. Jérôme, “Polyethylene-layered silicate nanocomposites prepared by the polymerization-filling technique: synthesis and mechanical properties,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 2123–2132, 2002.
- S. Y. A. Shin, L. C. Simon, J. B. P. Soares, and G. Scholz, “Polyethylene-clay hybrid nanocomposites: in situ polymerization using bifunctional organic modifiers,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 18, pp. 5317–5321, 2003.
- W. Cheng, W. Miao, J. Peng, W. Zou, and L. Zhang, “Synthesis of silica/polyolefin nanocomposites via two-step method,” Iranian Polymer Journal, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 365–371, 2009.
- J. Zhang and C. A. Wilkie, “Preparation and flammability properties of polyethylene-clay nanocomposites,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 163–169, 2003.
- T. G. Gopakumar, J. A. Lee, M. Kontopoulou, and J. S. Parent, “Influence of clay exfoliation on the physical properties of montmorillonite/polyethylene composites,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 20, pp. 5483–5491, 2002.
- P. H. Nam, P. Maiti, M. Okamoto, T. Kotaka, N. Hasegawa, and A. Usuki, “A hierarchical structure and properties of intercalated polypropylene/clay nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 23, pp. 9633–9640, 2001.
- M. Kawasumi, N. Hasegawa, M. Kato, A. Usuki, and A. Okada, “Preparation and mechanical properties of polypropylene-clay hybrids,” Macromolecules, vol. 30, no. 20, pp. 6333–6338, 1997.
- K. H. Wang, M. H. Choi, C. M. Koo, M. Z. Xu, I. J. Chung, and M. C. Jang, “Morphology and physical properties of polyethylene/silicate nanocomposite prepared by melt intercalation,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 40, no. 14, pp. 1454–1463, 2002.
- K. H. Wang, I. J. Chung, M. C. Jang, J. K. Keum, and H. H. Song, “Deformation behavior of polyethylene/silicate nanocomposites as studied by real-time wide-angle X-ray scattering,” Macromolecules, vol. 35, no. 14, pp. 5529–5535, 2002.
- L. Wei, T. Tang, and B. Huang, “Synthesis and characterization of polyethylene/clay-silica nanocomposites: a montmorillonite/silica-hybrid-supported catalyst and in situ polymerization,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 941–949, 2004.
- M. Q. Zhang, M. Z. Rong, H. B. Zhang, and K. Friedrich, “Mechanical properties of low nano-silica filled high density polyethylene composites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 490–500, 2003.
- S. Sanchez-Valdes, M. L. Lopez-Quintanilla, E. Ramirez-Vargas, et al., “Effect of ionomeric compatibilizer on clay dispersion in polyethylene/clay nanocomposites,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. 128–136, 2006.
- T. V. González, C. G. Salazar, J. R. D. Rosa, and V. G. González, “Nylon 6/organoclay nanocomposites by extrusion,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 2923–2933, 2008.
- H. Abdullah, N. P. Ariyanto, S. Shaari, B. Yuliarto, and S. Junaidi, “TEC and scintillation study of equatorial ionosphere: a month campaign over Sipitang and Parit Raja Stations, Malaysia,” American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 236–240, 2009.
- R. Nowacki, B. Monasse, E. Piorkowska, A. Galeski, and J. M. Haudin, “Spherulite nucleation in isotactic polypropylene based nanocomposites with montmorillonite under shear,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 14, pp. 4877–4892, 2004.
- J. Morawiec, A. Pawlak, M. Slouf, A. Galeski, E. Piorkowska, and N. Krasnikowa, “Preparation and properties of compatibilized LDPE/organo-modified montmorillonite nanocomposites,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1115–1122, 2005.
- D. N. Bikiaris, G. Z. Papageorgiou, E. Pavlidou, N. Vouroutzis, P. Palatzoglou, and G. P. Karayannidis, “Preparation by melt mixing and characterization of isotactic polypropylene/SiO2 nanocomposites containing untreated and surface-treated nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 2684–2696, 2006.
- C. Carteret, “Mid- and near-infrared study of hydroxyl groups at a silica surface: H-bond effect,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 30, pp. 13300–13308, 2009.