- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 693486, 7 pages
Preparation of Size-Controlled Silver Nanoparticles and Chitin-Based Composites and Their Antimicrobial Activities
1Faculty of System Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
2Research Institute, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359-1324, Japan
3Aeromedical Laboratory, Japan Air Self-Defense Force, Saitama 350-1394, Japan
4Department of Surgery, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359-8513, Japan
5Institute of Medical Science, Dokkyo Medical University, Tochigi 321-0293, Japan
6Department of Health Crisis Management, National Institute of Public Health, Wako, Saitama 351-0197, Japan
7Department of Global Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359-8513, Japan
Received 16 January 2013; Accepted 13 February 2013
Academic Editor: Zhenhui Kang
Copyright © 2013 Vinh Quang Nguyen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Panacek, L. Kvitek, R. Prucek et al., “Silver colloid nanoparticles: synthesis, characterization, and their antibacterial activity,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 33, pp. 16248–16253, 2006.
- A. Kumar, P. K. Vemula, P. M. Ajayan, and G. John, “Silver-nanoparticle-embedded antimicrobial paints based on vegetable oil,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 236–241, 2008.
- S. Sharma, N. Ahmad, A. Prakash, V. N. Singh, A. K. Ghoash, and B. R. Mehta, “Synthesis of crystalline AG nanoparticles, (Ag NPs) from microorganisms,” Materials Sciences and Applications, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2010.
- D. Li and S. Komarneni, “Microwave-assisted synthesis of Ag nanophases and their optical properties,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 8035–8042, 2010.
- S. Navaladian, B. Viswanathan, T. K. Varadarajan, and R. P. Viswanath, “Microwave-assisted rapid synthesis of anisotropic Ag nanoparticles by solid state transformation,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 4, Article ID 045603, 2008.
- S. Navaladian, B. Viswanathan, R. P. Viswanath, and T. K. Varadarajan, “Thermal decomposition as route for silver nanoparticles,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 2006.
- N. Vigneshwaran, N. M. Ashtaputre, P. V. Varadarajan, R. P. Nachane, K. M. Paralikar, and R. H. Balasubramanya, “Biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles using the fungus Aspergillus flavus,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1413–1418, 2007.
- M. Z. Kassaee, A. Akhavan, N. Sheikh, and R. Beteshobabrud, “γ-ray synthesis of starch-stabilized silver nanoparticles with antibacterial activities,” Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 1074–1078, 2008.
- G. N. Xu, X. L. Qiao, X. L. Qiu, and J. G. Chen, “Preparation and characterization of stable monodisperse silver nanoparticles via photoreduction,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 320, no. 1–3, pp. 222–226, 2008.
- P. Raveendran, J. Fu, and S. L. Wallen, “Completely “green” synthesis and stabilization of metal nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 46, pp. 13940–13941, 2003.
- N. Vigneshwaran, R. P. Nachane, R. H. Balasubramanya, and P. V. Varadarajan, “A novel one-pot “green” synthesis of stable silver nanoparticles using soluble starch,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 341, no. 12, pp. 2012–2018, 2006.
- I. O. Sosa, C. Noguez, and R. G. Barrera, “Optical properties of metal nanoparticles with arbitrary shapes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 26, pp. 6269–6275, 2003.
- I. Sondi and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- X. L. Cao, C. Cheng, Y. L. Ma, and C. S. Zhao, “Preparation of silver nanoparticles with antimicrobial activities and the researches of their biocompatibilities,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 2861–2868, 2010.
- P. Pallavicini, A. Taglietti, G. Dacarro et al., “Self-assembled monolayers of silver nanoparticles firmly grafted on glass surfaces: low Ag+ release for an efficient antibacterial activity,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 350, no. 1, pp. 110–116, 2010.
- P. Dallas, V. K. Sharma, and R. Zboril, “Silver polymeric nanocomposites as advanced antimicrobial agents: classification, synthetic paths, applications, and perspectives,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 166, no. 1-2, pp. 119–135, 2011.
- J. L. Elechiguerra, J. L. Burt, J. R. Morones et al., “Interaction of silver nanoparticles with HIV-1,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 3, article 6, 2005.
- H. H. Lara, N. V. Ayala-Nuñez, L. Ixtepan-Turrent, and C. Rodriguez-Padilla, “Mode of antiviral action of silver nanoparticles against HIV-1,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 8, article 1, 2010.
- K. J. Kim, W. S. Sung, B. K. Suh et al., “Antifungal activity and mode of action of silver nano-particles on Candida albicans,” BioMetals, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 235–242, 2009.
- J. P. Wise Sr., B. C. Goodale, S. S. Wise et al., “Silver nanospheres are cytotoxic and genotoxic to fish cells,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 34–41, 2010.
- E. Navarro, F. Piccapietra, B. Wagner et al., “Toxicity of silver nanoparticles to Chlamydomonas reinhardtii,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 23, pp. 8959–8964, 2008.
- L. K. Braydich-Stolle, B. Lucas, A. Schrand et al., “Silver nanoparticles disrupt GDNF/Fyn kinase signaling in spermatogonial stem cells,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 577–589, 2010.
- Y. Mori, T. Tagawa, M. Fujita et al., “Simple and environmentally friendly preparation and size control of silver nanoparticles using an inhomogeneous system with silver-containing glass powder,” Journal Nanoparticles Research, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 2799–2806, 2011.
- C. Shi, Y. Zhu, X. Ran, M. Wang, Y. Su, and T. Cheng, “Therapeutic potential of chitosan and its derivatives in regenerative medicine,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 2006.
- J. Dutta, S. Tripathi, and P. K. Dutta, “Progress in antimicrobial activities of chitin, chitosan and its oligosaccharides: a systematic study needs for food application,” Food Science and Technology International, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 20–31, 2012.
- M. D. Abramoff, P. J. Magelhaes, and S. J. Ram, “Image processing with ImageJ,” Biophotonics International, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 36–42, 2004.
- R. Araujo, A. G. Rodrigues, and C. Pina-Vaz, “A fast, practical and reproducible procedure for the standardization of the cell density of an Aspergillus suspension,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 783–786, 2004.