- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 702157, 9 pages
Grafting of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes with Chicken Feather Keratin
1Facultad de Ingeniería Eléctrica, Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas, Avenida Ramón López Velarde No. 801, 98000 Zacatecas, ZAC, Mexico
2Departamento de Ingenieria Molecular de Materiales, Centro de Fisica Aplicada y Tecnologia Avanzada, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Boulevard Juriquilla 3001, 76230, QRO, Mexico
3Centro Conjunto de Investigaciõn en Química Sustentable, UAEM-UNAM, Carretera Toluca-Atlacomulco Km.14.5, 52000 Toluca, MEX, Mexico
4División de Estudios de Posgrado e Investigación, Instituto Tecnológico de Querétaro, Avenida Tecnológico Esquina Mariano Escobedo, Centro Histórico, 76000, QRO, Mexico
5Instituto de Neurobiología, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus UNAM-Juriquilla, 76230, QRO, Mexico
Received 10 January 2013; Revised 4 March 2013; Accepted 31 March 2013
Academic Editor: Tianxi Liu
Copyright © 2013 Yoxkin Estévez-Martínez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Dervishi, Z. Li, Y. Xu et al., “Carbon nanotubes: Synthesis, properties, and applications,” Particulate Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 107–125, 2009.
- J. P. Salvetat, J. M. Bonard, N. B. Thomson et al., “Mechanical properties of carbon nanotubes,” Applied Physics A, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 255–260, 1999.
- V. N. Popov, “Carbon nanotubes: properties and application,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 61–102, 2004.
- S. B. Sinnott and R. Andrews, “Carbon nanotubes: synthesis, properties, and applications,” Critical Reviews in Solid State and Materials Sciences, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1–105, 2001.
- N. G. Sahoo, S. Rana, J. W. Cho, L. Li, and S. H. Chan, “Polymer nanocomposites based on functionalized carbon nanotubes,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 837–867, 2010.
- K. E. Geckeler and H. Nishide, Advanced Nanomaterials, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2010.
- M. Wladyka-Przybylak, D. Wesolek, W. Gieparda, A. Boczkowska, and E. Ciecierska, “The effect of the surface modification of carbon nanotubes on their dispersion in the epoxy matrix,” Polish Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 62–69, 2011.
- J. Venkatesan, Z. J. Qian, B. Ryu, N. Ashok Kumar, and S. K. Kim, “Preparation and characterization of carbon nanotube-grafted-chitosan—natural hydroxyapatite composite for bone tissue engineering,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 569–577, 2011.
- Z. Spitalsky, D. Tasis, K. Papagelis, and C. Galiotis, “Carbon nanotube-polymer composites: chemistry, processing, mechanical and electrical properties,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 357–401, 2010.
- M. T. Byrne and Y. K. Guin'Ko, “Recent advances in research on carbon nanotube—polymer composites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 15, pp. 1672–1688, 2010.
- P. M. M. Schrooyen, P. J. Dijkstra, R. G. Oberthü, A. Bantjes, and J. Feijen, “Partially carboxymethylated feather keratins. 1. Properties in aqueous systems,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 4326–4334, 2000.
- L. Rintoul, E. A. Carter, S. D. Stewart, and P. M. Fredericks, “Keratin orientation in wool and feathers by polarized Raman spectroscopy,” Biopolymers, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 2000.
- S. Osswald, M. Havel, and Y. Gogotsi, “Monitoring oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes by Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 728–736, 2007.
- C. Velasco-Santos, A. L. Martínez-Hernández, and V. M. Castano, “Chemical functionalization on carbon nanotubes: principles and application,” in Trends in Nanotechnology Research., E. V. de Dirote, Ed., pp. 51–78, Nova Science, 2004.
- C. E. Hong, J. H. Lee, P. Kalappa, and S. G. Advani, “Effects of oxidative conditions on properties of multi-walled carbon nanotubes in polymer nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 1027–1034, 2007.
- H. Yu, Y. Jin, F. Peng, H. Wang, and J. Yang, “Kinetically controlled side-wall functionalization of carbon nanotubes by nitric acid oxidation,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 17, pp. 6758–6763, 2008.
- J. Zhang, H. Zou, Q. Qing et al., “Effect of chemical oxidation on the structure of single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 16, pp. 3712–3718, 2003.
- T. C. Hung, C. F. Chen, M. Chen, and C. C. Chen, “Quantitative limitation of active site and characteristics of chemical oxidized well-aligned carbon nanotubes,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 516, no. 16, pp. 5236–5240, 2008.
- A. L. Martinez-Hernandez, C. Velasco-Santos, V. M. Castano-Meneses, and M. De Icaza, “Grafting of methyl methacrylate onto natural keratina,” e-polymers, http://www.e-polymers.org/, 2003.
- A. L. Martínez-Hernández, A. L. Santiago-Valtierra, and M. J. Alvarez-Ponce, “Chemical modification of keratin biofibres by graft polymerisation of methyl methacrylate using redox initiation,” Materials Research Innovations, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 184–191, 2008.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- G. E. P. Box, W. G. Hunter, and J. S. Hunter, Estadistica Para Investigadores: Introduccion al Diseño de Experimentos, Analisis de Datos y Construccion de Modelos, Reverte, 1999.
- R. Y. Sato-Berrú, E. V. Basiuk, and J. M. Saniger, “Application of principal component analysis to discriminate the Raman spectra of functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1302–1306, 2006.
- C. Thomsen and S. Reich, “Raman scattering in carbon nanotubes,” Topics in Applied Physics, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 115–234, 2006.
- H. Athalin and S. Lefrant, “A correlated method for quantifying mixed and dispersed carbon nanotubes: analysis of the Raman band intensities and evidence of wavenumber shift,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 400–408, 2005.
- H. Kataura, Y. Achiba, X. Zhao, and Y. Ando, “Resonance Raman scattering of multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” in Proceedings of the Symposium-Amorphous and Nanoestructured Carbon, vol. 593, no. 1, pp. 113–118, December 1999.
- M. S. Dresselhaus, G. Dresselhaus, R. Saito, and A. Jorio, “Raman spectroscopy of carbon nanotubes,” Physics Reports, vol. 409, no. 2, pp. 47–99, 2005.
- S. Gupta and R. J. Patel, “Changes in the vibrational modes of carbon nanotubes induced by electron-beam irradiation: resonance raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 188–199, 2007.
- A. Jorio, R. Saito, G. Dresselhaus, and M. S. Dresselhaus, “Determination of nanotubes properties by Raman spectroscopy,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 362, no. 1824, pp. 2311–2336, 2004.
- P. Delhaes, M. Couzi, M. Trinquecoste, J. Dentzer, H. Hamidou, and C. Vix-Guterl, “A comparison between Raman spectroscopy and surface characterizations of multiwall carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 44, no. 14, pp. 3005–3013, 2006.
- H. M. Heise, R. Kuckuk, A. K. Ojha, A. Srivastava, V. Srivastava, and B. P. Asthana, “Characterisation of carbonaceous materials using Raman spectroscopy: a comparison of carbon nanotube filters, single- and multi-walled nanotubes, graphitised porous carbon and graphite,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 344–353, 2009.
- M. Zdrojek, W. Gebicki, C. Jastrzebski, T. Melin, and A. Huczko, “Studies of multiwall carbon nanotubes using raman spectroscopy and atomic force microscopy,” Diffusion and Defect Data B, vol. 99-100, pp. 265–268, 2004.
- J. H. Lehman, M. Terrones, E. Mansfield, K. E. Hurst, and V. Meunier, “Evaluating the characteristics of multiwall carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 2581–2602, 2011.
- M. S. Dresselhaus and P. C. Eklund, “Phonons in carbon nanotubes,” Advances in Physics, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 705–814, 2000.
- R. A. DiLeo, B. J. Landi, and R. P. Raffaelle, “Purity assessment of multiwalled carbon nanotubes by Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 101, no. 6, Article ID 064307, 2007.
- T. Belin and F. Epron, “Characterization methods of carbon nanotubes: a review,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 105–118, 2005.
- U. Kuhlmann, H. Jantoljak, N. Pfänder, P. Bernier, C. Journet, and C. Thomsen, “Infrared active phonons in single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 294, no. 1–3, pp. 237–240, 1998.
- C. Velasco-Santos, [Ph.D. thesis], Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro, Queretaro, Mexico, 2003.
- L. Stobinski, B. Lesiak, L. Kövér et al., “Multiwall carbon nanotubes purification and oxidation by nitric acid studied by the FTIR and electron spectroscopy methods,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 501, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2010.
- M. Jackson and H. H. Mantsch, “The use and misuse of FTIR spectroscopy in the determination of protein structure,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 95–120, 1995.
- A. Barth, “Infrared spectroscopy of proteins,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1767, no. 9, pp. 1073–1101, 2007.
- J. Bandekar, “Amide modes and protein conformation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1120, no. 2, pp. 123–143, 1992.
- A. Barth and C. Zscherp, “What vibrations tell us about proteins,” Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 369–430, 2002.
- A. Barth, “The infrared absorption of amino acid side chains,” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 74, no. 3–5, pp. 141–173, 2000.
- B. Stuart, Infrared Spectroscopy: Fundamentals and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 2004.
- R. Schor and S. Krimm, “Studies on the structure of feather keratin I. X-ray diffraction studies and other experimental data,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 467–487, 1961.
- H. Panayiotou, Vibrational spectroscopy of keratin fibres: a forensic approach [Ph.D. thesis], Queensland University of Technology, 2004.
- S. Krimm, “Infrared spectra and chain conformation of proteins,” Journal of molecular biology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 528–540, 1962.
- E. Jin, N. Reddy, Z. Zhu, and Y. Yang, “Graft polymerization of native chicken feathers for thermoplastic applications,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1729–1738, 2011.
- H. G. M. Edwards, D. E. Hunt, and M. G. Sibley, “FT-Raman spectroscopic study of keratotic materials: Horn, hoof and tortoiseshell,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 745–757, 1998.
- J. T. Pelton and L. R. McLean, “Spectroscopic methods for analysis of protein secondary structure,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 277, no. 2, pp. 167–176, 2000.
- J. S. Church and K. R. Millington, “Photodegradation of wool keratin: part I. Vibrational spectroscopic studies,” Biospectroscopy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 249–258, 1996.
- K. R. Millington and J. S. Church, “The photodegradation of wool keratin. II. Proposed mechanisms involving cystine,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 204–212, 1997.
- J. R. Barone and W. F. Schmidt, “Polyethylene reinforced with keratin fibers obtained from chicken feathers,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 173–181, 2005.
- P. Ayala, R. Arenal, M. Rümmeli, A. Rubio, and T. Pichler, “The doping of carbon nanotubes with nitrogen and their potential applications,” Carbon, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 575–586, 2010.
- R. D. B. Fraser and T. P. MacRae, “Surface lattice in α-keratin filaments,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 178–184, 1988.
- R. Droppa Jr., P. Hammer, A. C. M. Carvalho, M. C. Dos Santos, and F. Alvarez, “Incorporation of nitrogen in carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 299–302, part 2, pp. 874–879, 2002.