- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 718365, 9 pages
High Temperature Magnetic Properties of Indirect Exchange Spring FePt/M(Cu,C)/Fe Trilayer Thin Films
1Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati 781039, India
2Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory, Hyderabad 500058, India
Received 29 March 2013; Accepted 15 July 2013
Academic Editor: Takeshi Seki
Copyright © 2013 Anabil Gayen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Sellmyer and R. Skomski, Advanced Magnetic Nanostructures,, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- J. P. Liu, E. Fullerton, and O. Gutfleish, Nanoscale Magnetic Materials and Applications, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- T. Shima and K. Takanashi, Hard Magnetic Films in Handbook of Magnetism and Advanced Magnetic Materials: Novel Materials, Part 6, Wiley-Interscience, 2007, Edited by, H. Kronmuller and S. S. P. Parkin.
- D. Weller, A. Moser, L. Folks et al., “High ku materials approach to 100 gbits/in2,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 10–15, 2000.
- T. Shima, K. Takanashi, Y. K. Takahashi, and K. Hono, “Coercivity exceeding 100 kOe in epltaxially grown FePt sputtered films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, no. 13, pp. 2571–2573, 2004.
- H. Shima, K. Oikawa, A. Fujita, K. Fukamichi, and K. Ishida, “Large magnetocrystalline anisotropy energy of L10-type Co100-xPtx bulk single crystals prepared under compressive stress,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 11, Article ID 112515, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- J. Sayama, T. Asahi, K. Mizutani, and T. Osaka, “Newly developed SmCo5 thin film with perpendicular magnetic anisotropy,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 37, no. 1, p. L1, 2004.
- L. K. E. B. Serrona, A. Sugimura, N. Adachi et al., “Structure and magnetic properties of high coercive NdFeB films with a perpendicular anisotropy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 1751–1753, 2003.
- A. Singh, V. Neu, S. Fähler, K. Nenkov, L. Schultz, and B. Holzapfel, “Mechanism of coercivity in epitaxial Sm Co5 thin films,” Physical Review B, vol. 77, no. 10, Article ID 104443, 2008.
- E. Stilp, J. Freudenberger, M. Seifert et al., “Probing the anisotropy constants of SmCo5 and PrCo5 by Hall resistance measurements in pulsed high magnetic fields up to 47 T,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 324, no. 9, pp. 1711–1714, 2012.
- K. Hono and H. Sepehri-Amin, “Strategy for high-coercivity Nd–Fe–B magnets,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 67, p. 503, 2012.
- P. Saravanan, M. Premkumar, A. K. Singh, R. Gopalan, and V. Chandrasekaran, “Study on morphology and magnetic behavior of SmCo5 and SmCo5/Fe nanoparticles synthesized by surfactant-assisted ball milling,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 480, no. 2, pp. 645–649, 2009.
- S. Sun, “Recent advances in chemical synthesis, self-assembly, and applications of FePt nanoparticles,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 393–403, 2006.
- M. Kim, S. Shin, and K. Kang, “Ordering of island-like FePt L10 thin films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 80, no. 20, pp. 3802–3804, 2002.
- Y. K. Takahashi, T. O. Seki, K. Hono, T. Shima, and K. Takanashi, “Microstructure and magnetic properties of FePt and Fe/FePt polycrystalline films with high coercivity,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 475–481, 2004.
- R. Coehoorn, D. B. de Mooij, and C. de Waard, “Meltspun permanent magnet materials containing Fe3B as the main phase,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 101–104, 1989.
- E. F. Kneller and R. Hawig, “The exchange-spring magnet: a new material principle for permanent magnets,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 3588–3600, 1991.
- J. P. Liu, C. P. Luo, Y. Liu, and D. J. Sellmyer, “High energy products in rapidly annealed nanoscale Fe/Pt multilayers,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 483–485, 1998.
- T. Schrefl, H. Forster, R. Dittrich, D. Suess, W. Scholz, and J. Fidler, “Reversible magnetization processes and energy density product in Sm-CoFe and Sm-Co/Co bilayers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 6489–6491, 2003.
- J. E. Davies, O. Hellwig, E. E. Fullerton et al., “Anisotropy dependence of irreversible switching in Fe/SmCo and FeNi/FePt exchange spring magnet films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 26, Article ID 262503, pp. 1–3, 2005.
- Y. Choi, J. S. Jiang, J. E. Pearson et al., “Controlled interface profile in Sm-CoFe exchange-spring magnets,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 7, Article ID 072509, 2007.
- F. Casoli, F. Albertini, L. Nasi et al., “Strong coercivity reduction in perpendicular FePtFe bilayers due to hard/soft coupling,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 14, Article ID 142506, 2008.
- A. Sun, F. Yuan, J. Hsu, Y. H. Lin, and P. C. Kuo, “Magnetic reversal behaviors of perpendicular exchange-coupled Fe/FePt bilayer films,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 2709–2715, 2009.
- J. Zhang, Y. X. Li, F. Wang, B. G. Shen, and J. R. Sun, “Coercivity mechanism of nanocomposite Sm-Co/Fe multilayer films,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 107, no. 4, Article ID 043911, 4 pages, 2010.
- C. Rong, Y. Zhang, N. Poudyal, X. Xiong, M. J. Kramer, and J. P. Liu, “Fabrication of bulk nanocomposite magnets via severe plastic deformation and warm compaction,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 96, no. 10, Article ID 102513, 2010.
- D. Kim and J. Hong, “Rare earth free exchange spring magnet FeCo/FePt(001): giant magnetic anisotropy and energy product,” Surface Science, vol. 606, p. 1960, 2012.
- P. Saravanan, J. H. Hsu, A. Gayen et al., “Effect of Fe layer thickness and Fe/Co intermixing on the magnetic properties of Sm–Co/Fe bilayer exchange-spring magnets,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 46, no. 15, Article ID 155002, 2013.
- R. Skomski and J. M. D. Coey, “Giant energy product in nanostructured two-phase magnets,” Physical Review B, vol. 48, no. 21, pp. 15812–15816, 1993.
- R. F. Sabiryanov and S. S. Jaswal, “Electronic structure and magnetic properties of hard/soft multilayers,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 177–181, no. 2, pp. 989–990, 1998.
- A. Perumal, Y. K. Takahashi, T. O. Seki, and K. Hono, “Particulate structure of L 10 ordered ultrathin FePt films for perpendicular recording,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 13, Article ID 132508, 2008.
- L. Zhang, Y. K. Takahashi, A. Perumal, and K. Hono, “L10-ordered high coercivity (FePt)AgC granular thin films for perpendicular recording,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 322, no. 18, pp. 2658–2664, 2010.
- T. Shima, K. Takanashi, Y. K. Takahashi, and K. Hono, “Preparation and magnetic properties of highly coercive FePt films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 1050–1052, 2002.
- J. Jiang, N. Tezuka, and K. Inomata, “Indirect exchange spring between FePt and Fe with a Ru interlayer,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 302, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2006.
- S. Okamoto, N. Kikuchi, O. Kitakami, T. Miyazaki, Y. Shimada, and K. Fukamichi, “Chemical-order-dependent magnetic anisotropy and exchange stiffness constant of FePt (001) epitaxial films,” Physical Review B, vol. 66, no. 2, Article ID 024413, pp. 244131–244139, 2002.
- A. Perumal, L. Zhang, Y. K. Takahashi, and K. Hono, “FePtAg-C nanogranular films fabricated on a heat resistant glass substrate for perpendicular magnetic recording,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 108, no. 8, Article ID 083907, 2010.
- S. Okamoto, O. Kitakami, N. Kikuchi, T. Miyazaki, Y. Shimada, and Y. K. Takahashi, “Size dependences of magnetic properties and switching behavior in FePt L10 nanoparticles,” Physical Review B, vol. 67, no. 9, Article ID 094422, pp. 944221–944227, 2003.
- Y. K. Takahashi, T. Ohkubo, M. Ohnuma, and K. Mono, “Size effect on the ordering of FePt granular films,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 7166–7168, 2003.
- C. Rong, D. Li, V. Nandwana et al., “Size-dependent chemical and magnetic ordering in L10-FePt nanoparticles,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 2984–2988, 2006.
- C. P. Luo and D. J. Sellmyer, “Structural and magnetic properties of FePt:SiO2 granular thin films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 75, no. 20, pp. 3162–3164, 1999.
- C. Brombacher, Rapid thermal annealing of FePt and FePt/Cu thin films [Ph.D. thesis], Chemnitz University of Technology, Chemnitz, Germany, 2011.
- J. D. Livingston, “A review of coercivity mechanisms (invited),” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 2544–2548, 1981.
- H. S. Ko, A. Perumal, and S. Shin, “Fine control of L 10 ordering and grain growth kinetics by C doping in FePt films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 14, pp. 2311–2313, 2003.
- N. Li and B. M. Lairson, “Magnetic recording on FePt and FePtB intermetallic compound media,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 1077–1082, 1999.
- M. P. Sharroack and J. T. McKinney, “Kinetic effects in coercivity measurementsIEEE Transactions on Magnetics,” vol. 17, p. 3020, 1981.
- R. H. Victora, “Predicted time dependence of the switching field for magnetic materials,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 457–460, 1989.
- M. El-Hilo, “Time-dependent coercivity in participate recording media,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 272-276, no. III, pp. 1700–1702, 2004.
- K. R. Coffey, J. Thiele, and T. Thomson, “Temperature dependence of the magnetization reversal of thin-film longitudinal magnetic recording media,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 2440–2442, 2004.
- C. W. Su, J. S. Tsay, and Y. D. Yao, “Finding stabilized coercivity in a study of thickness and temperature dependent Co/Ag/Ge(001) ultrathin films,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 516, no. 6, pp. 1164–1170, 2008.
- J. Zhou, R. Skomski, X. Li, W. Tang, G. C. Hadjipanayis, and D. J. Sellmyer, “Permanent-magnet properties of thermally processed FePt and FePt-Fe multilayer films,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 38, no. 5 I, pp. 2802–2804, 2002.
- F. Casoli, F. Albertini, L. Nasi et al., “Role of interface morphology in the exchange-spring behavior of FePt/Fe perpendicular bilayers,” Acta Materialia, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 3594–3601, 2010.
- A. J. A. De Oliveira, W. A. Ortiz, D. H. Mosca, N. Mattoso, I. Mazzaro, and W. H. Schreiner, “Magnetic irreversibility in Fe/Cu multilayers,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 1999.
- Y. Rheem, H. Saito, and S. Ishio, “Fabrication of FePt/FeCo/FePt exchange-spring trilayer with very thin FeCo layer for high-resolution MFM tips,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 3793–3795, 2005.
- N. B. Herndon, S. H. Oh, J. T. Abiade et al., “Effect of spacer layer thickness on magnetic interactions in self-assembled single domain iron nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 103, no. 7, Article ID 07D515, 2008.
- F. Almeida, Exchange Springs and Exchange bias studied with nuclear methods [Ph.D. thesis], Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Flanders, Belgium, 2011.