- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 731860, 12 pages
Effect of Modified and Nonmodified Carbon Nanotubes on the Rheological Behavior of High Density Polyethylene Nanocomposite
1Department of Chemical Engineering, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) P.O. Box 5050, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
2Chemical Engineering Technology Department & Yanbu Research Center, Yanbu Industrial College, P.O. Box 30436, Yanbu Industrial City 21477, Saudi Arabia
Received 31 March 2013; Revised 2 September 2013; Accepted 8 September 2013
Academic Editor: Sulin Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Adewunmi A. Ahmad et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Chrissafis, K. M. Paraskevopoulos, I. Tsiaoussis, and D. Bikiaris, “Comparative study of the effect of different nanoparticles on the mechanical properties, permeability, and thermal degradation mechanism of HDPE,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 1606–1618, 2009.
- G. Sui, W. H. Zhong, X. Ren, X. Q. Wang, and X. P. Yang, “Structure, mechanical properties and friction behavior of UHMWPE/HDPE/carbon nanofibers,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 404–412, 2009.
- Q. Dong, Q. Zheng, M. Du, and M. Zhang, “Temperature-dependence of dynamic rheological properties for high-density polyethylene filled with graphite,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 13, pp. 3539–3541, 2005.
- W. Zheng, X. Lu, and S.-C. Wong, “Electrical and mechanical properties of expanded graphite-reinforced high-density polyethylene,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 2781–2788, 2004.
- M. A. Osman and A. Atallah, “Effect of the particle size on the viscoelastic properties of filled polyethylene,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 2357–2368, 2006.
- Y. Tang, C. Yang, P. Gao, L. Ye, C. Zhao, and W. Lin, “Rheological study on high-density polyethylene/organoclaycomposites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 133–142, 2011.
- J. F. Vega, J. Martínez-Salazar, M. Trujillo et al., “Rheology, processing, tensile properties, and crystallization of polyethylene/carbon nanotube nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 4719–4727, 2009.
- J. Sandler, M. S. P. Shaffer, T. Prasse, W. Bauhofer, K. Schulte, and A. H. Windle, “Development of a dispersion process for carbon nanotubes in an epoxy matrix and the resulting electrical properties,” Polymer, vol. 40, no. 21, pp. 5967–5971, 1999.
- M. S. P. Shaffer and A. H. Windle, “Fabrication and characterization of carbon nanotube/poly (vinyl alcohol) composites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 937–941, 1999.
- M. Bratcher, B. Gersten, H. Ji, and J. Mays, “Study in the dispersion of carbon nanotubes,” MRS Proceedings, vol. 706, 2001.
- X. Gong, J. Liu, S. Baskaran, R. D. Voise, and J. S. Young, “Surfactant-assisted processing of carbon nanotube/polymer composites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1049–1052, 2000.
- Y. Zou, Y. Feng, L. Wang, and X. Liu, “Processing and properties of MWNT/HDPE composites,” Carbon, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 271–277, 2004.
- H. Ha, S. C. Kim, and K. Ha, “Morphology and properties of polyamide/multi-walled carbon nanotube composites,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 660–667, 2010.
- M. A. Osman and A. Atallah, “Interparticle and particle-matrix interactions in polyethylene reinforcement and viscoelasticity,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 22, pp. 9476–9488, 2005.
- T. McNally, P. Pötschke, P. Halley et al., “Polyethylene multiwalled carbon nanotube composites,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 19, pp. 8222–8232, 2005.
- O. Valentino, M. Sarno, N. G. Rainone et al., “Influence of the polymer structure and nanotube concentration on the conductivity and rheological properties of polyethylene/CNT composites,” Physica E, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 2440–2445, 2008.
- M. E. Mackay, T. T. Dao, A. Tuteja et al., “Nanoscale effects leading to non-einstein-like decrease in viscosity,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 762–766, 2003.
- A. Tuteja, M. E. Mackay, C. J. Hawker, and B. Van Horn, “Effect of ideal, organic nanoparticles on the flow properties of linear polymers: non-einstein-like behavior,” Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 19, pp. 8000–8011, 2005.
- M. E. Mackay, A. Tuteja, P. M. Duxbury et al., “General strategies for nanoparticle dispersion,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5768, pp. 1740–1743, 2006.
- T. C. Merkel, B. D. Freeman, R. J. Spontak et al., “Ultrapermeable, reverse-selective nanocomposite membranes,” Science, vol. 296, no. 5567, pp. 519–522, 2002.
- S. B. Kharchenko, J. F. Douglas, J. Obrzut, E. A. Grulke, and K. B. Migler, “Flow-induced properties of nanotube-filled polymer materials,” Nature Materials, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 564–568, 2004.
- J. Ren and R. Krishnamoorti, “Nonlinear viscoelastic properties of layered-silicate-based intercalated nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 4443–4451, 2003.
- S. P. Thomas, A. A. Abdullateef, M. A. Al-Harthi et al., “Electrical properties of natural rubber nanocomposites: effect of 1-octadecanol functionalization of carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 3344–3349, 2012.
- S. P. Thomas, A. A. Abdullateef, M. A. Al-Harthi et al., “Effect of phenol functionalization of carbon nanotubes on properties of natural rubber nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 2370–2376, 2012.
- J. S. Oh, K. H. Ahn, and J. S. Hong, “Dispersion of entangled carbon nanotube by melt extrusion,” Korea Australia Rheology Journal, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 89–94, 2010.
- J. Li, P. C. Ma, W. S. Chow, C. K. To, B. Z. Tang, and J.-K. Kim, “Correlations between percolation threshold, dispersion state, and aspect ratio of carbon nanotubes,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, no. 16, pp. 3207–3215, 2007.
- P.-C. Ma and J.-K. Kim, Carbon Nanotubes for Polymer Reinforcement, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2011.
- G. K. Batchelor and J. T. Green, “hydrodynamic interaction of two small freely-moving spheres in a linear flow field,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 375–400, 1972.
- G. K. Batchelor and J. T. Green, “The determination of the bulk stress in a suspension of spherical particles to order c2,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 401–427, 1972.
- S. P. Thomas, S. A. Girei, A. A. Al-Juhani, K. Mezghani, S. K. De, and M. A. Atieh, “Effect of phenol functionalized carbon nanotube on mechanical, dynamic mechanical, and thermal properties of isotactic polypropylene nanocomposites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 525–531, 2012.
- A. A. Adesina, A. A. Al-Juhani, N. Tabet, A. Ul-Hamid, and I. A. Hussein, “Rheology and enhancement of extrusion of linear and branched polyethylenes using low amount of organoclay,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 713–723, 2012.
- S. Jain, J. G. P. Goossens, G. W. M. Peters, M. Van Duin, and P. J. Lemstra, “Strong decrease in viscosity of nanoparticle-filled polymer melts through selective adsorption,” Soft Matter, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1848–1854, 2008.
- W. K. A. Ma, F. Chinesta, A. Ammar, and M. R. MacKley, “Rheological modeling of carbon nanotube aggregate suspensions,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1311–1330, 2008.
- A. W. K. Ma, F. Chinesta, and M. R. MacKley, “The rheology and modeling of chemically treated carbon nanotubes suspensions,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 547–577, 2009.
- M. J. Solomon, A. S. Almusallam, K. F. Seefeldt, A. Somwangthanaroj, and P. Varadan, “Rheology of polypropylene/clay hybrid materials,” Macromolecules, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1864–1872, 2001.
- M.-K. Seo and S.-J. Park, “Electrical resistivity and rheological behaviors of carbon nanotubes-filled polypropylene composites,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 395, no. 1–3, pp. 44–48, 2004.
- S. H. Lee, M. W. Kim, S. H. Kim, and J. R. Youn, “Rheological and electrical properties of polypropylene/MWCNT composites prepared with MWCNT masterbatch chips,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1620–1630, 2008.
- Q. Zhang, D. R. Lippits, and S. Rastogi, “Dispersion and rheological aspects of SWNTs in ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene,” Macromolecules, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 658–666, 2006.
- P. Pötschke, T. D. Fornes, and D. R. Paul, “Rheological behavior of multiwalled carbon nanotube/polycarbonate composites,” Polymer, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 3247–3255, 2002.
- K. Prashantha, J. Soulestin, M. F. Lacrampe, M. Claes, G. Dupin, and P. Krawczak, “Multi-walled carbon nanotube filled polypropylene nanocomposites based on masterbatch route: improvement of dispersion and mechanical properties through PP-g-MA addition,” Express Polymer Letters, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 735–745, 2008.