- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 747963, 10 pages
Preparation, Characterization, Thermal, and Flame-Retardant Properties of Green Silicon-Containing Epoxy/Functionalized Graphene Nanosheets Composites
1Department of Power Mechanical Engineering, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan
2Plastic Industry Development Center, Taichung 407, Taiwan
3Department of Computer Application Engineering, Far East University, Tainan 744, Taiwan
4Department of Material Science and Engineering, Far East University, Tainan 744, Taiwan
5Green Flame Retardant Material Research Laboratory, Department of Safety, Health and Environmental Engineering, Hung-Kuang University, Taichung 433, Taiwan
Received 4 January 2013; Revised 15 March 2013; Accepted 15 March 2013
Academic Editor: Christian Brosseau
Copyright © 2013 Ming-Yuan Shen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Barontini and V. Cozzani, “Formation of hydrogen bromide and organobrominated compounds in the thermal degradation of electronic boards,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 41–55, 2006.
- A. K. Sen, B. Mukherjee, A. S. Bhattacharya, L. K. Sanghi, P. P. De, and A. K. Bhowmick, “Preparation and characterization of low-halogen and nonhalogen fire-resistant low-smoke (FRLS) cable sheathing compound from blends of functionalized polyolefins and PVC,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1673–1684, 1991.
- M. J. Chen, Z. B. Shao, X. L. Wang, L. Chen, and Y. Z. Wang, “Halogen-free flame-retardant flexible polyurethane foam with a novel nitrogen-phosphorus flame retardant,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 51, no. 29, pp. 9769–9776, 2012.
- L. Du, G. Xu, Y. Zhang, J. Qian, and J. Chen, “Synthesis and properties of a novel intumescent flame retardant (IFR) and its application in halogen-free flame retardant ethylene propylene diene terpolymer (EPDM),” Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 372–378, 2011.
- K. C. Tsai, C. F. Kuan, C. H. Chen et al., “Study on thermal degradation and flame retardant property of halogen-free polypropylene composites using XPS and cone calorimeter,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 1084–1091, 2013.
- T. M. D. Nguyen, S. Chang, B. Condon, M. Uchimiya, and C. Fortier, “Development of an environmentally friendly halogen-free phosphorus-nitrogen bond flame retardant for cotton fabrics,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1555–1563, 2012.
- Y. Bai, X. Wang, and D. Wu, “Novel cyclolinear cyclotriphosphazene-linked epoxy resin for halogen-free fire resistance: synthesis, characterization, and flammability characteristics,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 51, no. 46, pp. 15064–15074, 2012.
- Z. Wang, E. Han, and W. Ke, “Influence of expandable graphite on fire resistance and water resistance of flame-retardant coatings,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 2237–2253, 2007.
- J. C. Slonczewski and P. R. Weiss, “Band structure of graphite,” Physical Review, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 272–279, 1958.
- S. Stankovich, D. A. Dikin, G. H. B. Dommett et al., “Graphene-based composite materials,” Nature, vol. 442, no. 7100, pp. 282–286, 2006.
- A. Yu, P. Ramesh, M. E. Itkis, E. Bekyarova, and R. C. Haddon, “Graphite nanoplatelet-epoxy composite thermal interface materials,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 21, pp. 7565–7569, 2007.
- M. C. Hsiao, S. H. Liao, M. Y. Yen et al., “Preparation of covalently functionalized graphene using residual oxygen-containing functional groups,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 3092–3099, 2010.
- W. Wei, H. Zhang, S. Guan, Z. Jiang, and X. Yue, “Preparation and characterization of transparent polyarylethers-silica hybrid membranes with covalently connected phases,” Polymer, vol. 53, pp. 5002–5009, 2012.
- S. Ganguli, A. K. Roy, and D. P. Anderson, “Improved thermal conductivity for chemically functionalized exfoliated graphite/epoxy composites,” Carbon, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 806–817, 2008.
- C. Perruchot, M. A. Khan, A. Kamitsi et al., “XPS characterisation of core-shell silica-polymer composite particles synthesised by atom transfer radical polymerisation in aqueous media,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 2129–2141, 2004.
- T. I. T. Okpalugo, P. Papakonstantiou, H. Murphy, J. Mclaughin, and N. M. D. Brown, “High resolution XPS characterization of chemical functionalized MECNT and SWCNT,” Carbon, vol. 43, pp. 153–161, 2005.
- Z. X. Zhang, Y. D. Huang, T. Y. Wang, and L. Liu, “Influence of fibre surface oxidation-reduction followed by silsesquioxane coating treatment on interfacial mechanical properties of carbon fibre/polyarylacetylene composites,” Composites A, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 936–944, 2007.
- S. Sharma, A. Ganguly, P. Papakonstantinou et al., “Rapid microwave synthesis of CO tolerant reduced graphene oxide-supported platinum electrocatalysts for oxidation of methanol,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 114, no. 45, pp. 19459–19466, 2010.
- G. Wang, X. Shen, B. Wang, J. Yao, and J. Park, “Synthesis and characterisation of hydrophilic and organophilic graphene nanosheets,” Carbon, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1359–1364, 2009.
- T. A. Phama, J. S. Kimb, J. S. Kima, and Y. T. Jeonga, “One-step reduction of graphene oxide with L-glutathione,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 384, no. 1–3, pp. 543–548, 2011.
- T. M. Lee, C. C. M. Ma, C. W. Hsu, and H. L. Wu, “Effect of molecular structures and mobility on the thermal and dynamical mechanical properties of thermally cured epoxy-bridged polyorganosiloxanes,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 19, pp. 8286–8296, 2005.
- S. Hamdani, C. Longuet, D. Perrin, J. M. Lopez-cuesta, and F. Ganachaud, “Flame retardancy of silicone-based materials,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 465–495, 2009.
- Y. Y. Yu, C. Y. Chen, and W. C. Chen, “Synthesis and characterization of organic-inorganic hybrid thin films from poly(acrylic) and monodispersed colloidal silica,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 593–601, 2003.
- J. Xu, W. Shi, M. Gong, F. Yu, and L. Yan, “Preparation of poly(methyl methacrylate-co-maleic anhydride)/SiO2-TiO2 hybrid materials and their thermo- And photodegradation behaviors,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1714–1724, 2005.
- J. Macan, I. Brnardić, S. Orlić, H. Ivanković, and M. Ivanković, “Thermal degradation of epoxy—Silica organic—inorganic hybrid materials,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 122–127, 2006.
- C. D. Doyle, “Estimating thermal stability of experimental polymers by empirical thermogravimetric analysis,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 77–79, 1961.
- G. Huang, H. Liang, Y. Wang, X. Wang, J. Gao, and Z. Fei, “Combination effect of melamine polyphosphate and graphene on flame retardant properties of poly(vinyl alcohol),” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 132, pp. 520–528, 2012.