- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 763937, 8 pages
Osteogenesis Capability and Degradation Property Evaluation of Injectable Biomaterials: Comparison of Computed Tomography and Ultrasound
1Department of Ultrasonic Diagnosis, Zhujiang Hospital of Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
2The Second Clinical Medical College of Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
3Key Laboratory for Biomechanics and Mechanobiology of Ministry of Education, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing 100191, China
4Department of Radiology, Zhujiang Hospital of Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
5Department of Orthopedics, Zhujiang Hospital of Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
Received 19 May 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Shuming Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Yan Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Jeong, Y. H. Bae, D. S. Lee, and S. W. Kim, “Biodegradable block copolymers as injectable drug-delivery systems,” Nature, vol. 388, no. 6645, pp. 860–862, 1997.
- M. K. Nguyen and D. S. Lee, “Injectable biodegradable hydrogels,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 563–579, 2010.
- A. A. Amini and L. S. Nair, “Injectable hydrogels for bone and cartilage repair,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 7, no. 2, Article ID 024105, 2012.
- X. Li, L. Wang, Y. Fan, Q. Feng, F. Cui, and F. Watari, “Nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2424–2435, 2013.
- X. Li, Y. Yang, Y. Fan, Q. Feng, F. Cui, and F. Watari, “Biocomposites reinforced by fibers or tubes, as scaffolds for tissue engineering or regenerative medicine,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 2013.
- G. Hulsart-Billstrom, K. Bergman, B. Andersson, J. Hilborn, S. Larsson, and K. B. Jonsson, “A uni-cortical femoral defect model in the rat: evaluation using injectable hyaluronan hydrogel as a carrier for bone morphogenetic protein-2,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 2012.
- X. Li, C. A. van Blitterswijk, Q. Feng, F. Cui, and F. Watari, “The effect of calcium phosphate microstructure on bone-related cells in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 23, pp. 3306–3316, 2008.
- X. Li, H. Liu, X. Niu et al., “The use of carbon nanotubes to induce osteogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived MSCs in vitro and ectopic bone formation in vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 4818–4827, 2012.
- H.-T. Liao, C.-T. Chen, and J.-P. Chen, “Osteogenic differentiation and ectopic bone formation of canine bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in injectable thermo-responsive polymer hydrogel,” Tissue Engineering C: Methods, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1139–1149, 2011.
- H. Zhou and H. H. K. Xu, “The fast release of stem cells from alginate-fibrin microbeads in injectable scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 30, pp. 7503–7513, 2011.
- S. Jo, S. Kim, T. H. Cho, E. Shin, S. J. Hwang, and I. Noh, “Effects of recombinant human bone morphogenic protein-2 and human bone marrow-derived stromal cells on in vivo bone regeneration of chitosan-poly(ethylene oxide) hydrogel,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 892–901, 2013.
- Y. Chen, Z. Huang, X. Li et al., “In vitro biocompatibility and osteoblast differentiation of an injectable chitosan/nano-hydroxyapatite/collagen biomaterial,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 401084, 6 pages, 2012.
- Y. Chen, S. Li, X. Li et al., “Noninvasive evaluation of injectable chitosan/nano-hydroxyapatite/collagen biomaterial via ultrasound,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 939821, 7 pages, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, W. Fan, L. Nothdurft et al., “In vitro and in vivo evaluation of adenovirus combined silk fibroin scaffolds for bone morphogenetic protein-7 gene delivery,” Tissue Engineering C: Methods, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 789–797, 2011.
- N. M. Mueske, L. S. Chan, and T. A. Wren, “Reliability of lateral distal femur dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry measures,” Journal of Clinical Densitometry, pp. S1094–S6950, 2013.
- T. Whitmarsh, K. D. Fritscher, L. Humbert et al., “Hip fracture discrimination from dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry by statistical model registration,” Bone, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 896–901, 2012.
- J. Bacchetta, K. Wesseling-Perry, V. Gilsanz, B. Gales, R. C. Pereira, and I. B. Salusky, “Idiopathic juvenile osteoporosis: a cross-sectional single-centre experience with bone histomorphometry and quantitative computed tomography,” Pediatric Rheumatology Online Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, article 6, 2013.
- K.-T. Khaw, J. Reeve, R. Luben et al., “Prediction of total and hip fracture risk in men and women by quantitative ultrasound of the calcaneus: EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9404, pp. 197–202, 2004.
- W. P. Olszynski, J. P. Brown, J. D. Adachi, D. A. Hanley, G. Ioannidis, and K. S. Davison, “Multisite quantitative ultrasound for the prediction of fractures over five years of follow-up: the canadian multicentre osteoporosis study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 2013.
- K. Kim, C. G. Jeong, and S. J. Hollister, “Non-invasive monitoring of tissue scaffold degradation using ultrasound elasticity imaging,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 783–790, 2008.
- C. M. Langton, S. B. Palmer, and R. W. Porter, “The measurement of broadband ultrasound attenuation in cencellous bone,” Engineering in Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 89–91, 1984.
- S. Nayak, I. Olkin, H. Liu et al., “Meta-analysis: accuracy of quantitative ultrasound for identifying patients with osteoporosis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 11, pp. 832–841, 2006.
- M. H. Lu, R. Mao, Y. Lu, Z. Liu, T. F. Wang, and S. P. Chen, “Quantitative imaging of young's modulus of soft tissues from ultrasound water jet indentation: a finite element study,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 979847, 6 pages, 2012.
- S. Kreitz, G. Dohmen, S. Hasken, T. Schmitz-Rode, P. Mela, and S. Jockenhoevel, “Nondestructive method to evaluate the collagen content of fibrin-based tissue engineered structures via ultrasound,” Tissue Engineering C: Methods, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1021–1026, 2011.
- W. R. Taylor, E. Roland, H. Ploeg et al., “Determination of orthotropic bone elastic constants using FEA and modal analysis,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 767–773, 2002.
- B. Kundu, R. Rajkhowa, S. C. Kundu, and X. Wang, “Silk fibroin biomaterials for tissue regenerations,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 457–470, 2012.
- N. S. Binulal, A. Natarajan, D. Menon, V. K. Bhaskaran, U. Mony, and S. V. Nair, “Gelatin nanoparticles loaded poly(epsilon-caprolactone) nanofibrous semi-synthetic biomaterials for bone tissue engineering,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 7, no. 6, article 65001, 2012.
- H. Wang, Q. Zou, O. C. Boerman et al., “Combined delivery of bmp-2 and bfgf from nanostructured colloidal gelatin gels and its effect on bone regeneration in vivo,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 172–181, 2013.
- K. Rezwan, Q. Z. Chen, J. J. Blaker, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Biodegradable and bioactive porous polymer/inorganic composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 18, pp. 3413–3431, 2006.