- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 767249, 9 pages
Embedding Effect on the Mechanical Stability of Pressurised Carbon Nanotubes
1Division of Engineering and Policy for Sustainable Environment, Faculty of Engineering, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-8628, Japan
2Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-0810, Japan
3Department of Environmental Sciences & Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi, 4-4-37 Takeda, Kofu, Yamanashi 400-8510, Japan
Received 6 March 2013; Revised 15 April 2013; Accepted 26 April 2013
Academic Editor: Teng Li
Copyright © 2013 Motohiro Sato et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Shima and M. Sato, Elastic and Plastic Buckling of Carbon Nanotubes, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore, 1st edition, 2013.
- H. Shima, “Buckling of carbon nanotubes: a state of the art review,” Materials, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 47–84, 2012.
- Z. Osváth, G. Vértesy, L. Tapasztó et al., “Atomically resolved STM images of carbon nanotube defects produced by Ar+ irradiation,” Physical Reviev B, vol. 72, no. 4, Article ID 045429, 6 pages, 2005.
- A. V. Krasheninnikov and K. Nordlund, “Ion and electron irradiation-induced effects in nanostructured materials,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 107, no. 7, Article ID 071301, 2010.
- P. M. Ajayan, V. Ravikumar, and J. C. Charlier, “Surface reconstructions and dimensional changes in single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 1437–1440, 1998.
- F. Ding, K. Jiao, Y. Lin, and B. I. Yakobson, “How evaporating carbon nanotubes retain their perfection?” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 681–684, 2007.
- F. Börrnert, S. Gorantla, A. Bachmatiuk, et al., “In situ observations of self-repairing single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review B, vol. 81, no. 20, Article ID 201401, 4 pages, 2010.
- L. Sun, F. Banhart, A. V. Krasheninnikov, J. A. Rodríguez-Manzo, M. Terrones, and P. M. Ajayan, “Carbon nanotubes as high-pressure cylinders and nanoextruders,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5777, pp. 1199–1202, 2006.
- Y. Guo and W. Guo, “Reassembly of single-walled carbon nanotubes into hybrid multilayered nanostructures inside nanotube extruders,” Physical Review B, vol. 76, no. 4, Article ID 045404, 2007.
- Z. Xu, L. Wang, and Q. Zheng, “Enhanced mechanical properties of prestressed multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Small, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 733–737, 2008.
- S. H. Yang, L. L. Feng, and F. Feng, “Torsional behaviour of carbon nanotubes with abnormal interlayer distances,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 42, no. 5, Article ID 055414, 5 pages, 2009.
- H. Shima, M. Sato, K. Iiboshi, S. Ghosh, and M. Arroyo, “Diverse corrugation pattern in radially shrinking carbon nanotubes,” Physical Review B, vol. 82, no. 8, Article ID 085401, 2010.
- H. Shima and M. Sato, “Multiple radial corrugations in multiwalled carbon nanotubes under pressure,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 49, Article ID 495705, 2008.
- H. Shima and M. Sato, “Pressure-induced structural transitions in multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Physica Status Solidi (A), vol. 206, no. 10, pp. 2228–2233, 2009.
- C. Ducati, K. Koziol, S. Friedrichs et al., “Crystallographic order in multi-walled carbon nanotubes synthesized in the presence of nitrogen,” Small, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 774–784, 2006.
- X. Huang, W. Liang, and S. Zhang, “Radial corrugations of multi-walled carbon nanotubes driven by inter-wall nonbonding interactions,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, no. 1, article 53, 6 pages, 2011.
- M. Majumder, N. Chopra, R. Andrews, and B. J. Hinds, “Nanoscale hydrodynamics: enhanced flow in carbon nanotubes,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7064, p. 44, 2005.
- A. Noy, H. G. Park, F. Fornasiero, J. K. Holt, C. P. Grigoropoulos, and O. Bakajin, “Nanofluidics in carbon nanotubes,” Nano Today, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 22–29, 2007.
- M. Whitby and N. Quirke, “Fluid flow in carbon nanotubes and nanopipes,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 87–94, 2007.
- E. Frackowiak and F. Béguin, “Electrochemical storage of energy in carbon nanotubes and nanostructured carbons,” Carbon, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1775–1787, 2002.
- C.-K. Yang, J. Zhao, and J. P. Lu, “Magnetism of transition-metal/carbon-nanotube hybrid structures,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 90, no. 25, Article ID 257203, 4 pages, 2003.
- Y. Maniwa, K. Matsuda, H. Kyakuno et al., “Water-filled single-wall carbon nanotubes as molecular nanovalves,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 2007.
- H. Shima and H. Yoshioka, “Electronic spectral shift of oxygen-filled (6,6) carbon nanotubes,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 513, no. 4–6, pp. 224–228, 2011.
- S. S. Gupta, F. G. Bosco, and R. C. Batra, “Wall thickness and elastic moduli of single-walled carbon nanotubes from frequencies of axial, torsional and inextensional modes of vibration,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1049–1059, 2010.
- K. N. Kudin, G. E. Scuseria, and B. I. Yakobson, “C2F, BN, and C nanoshell elasticity from ab initio computations,” Physical Review B, vol. 64, no. 23, Article ID 235406, 10 pages, 2001.
- X. Q. He, S. Kitipornchai, and K. M. Liew, “Buckling analysis of multi-walled carbon nanotubes: a continuum model accounting for van der Waals interaction,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 303–326, 2005.
- W. B. Lu, B. Liu, J. Wu et al., “Continuum modeling of van der Waals interactions between carbon nanotube walls,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, no. 10, Article ID 101917, 3 pages, 2009.
- H. Shima, S. Ghosh, M. Arroyo, K. Iiboshi, and M. Sato, “Thin-shell theory based analysis of radially pressurized multiwall carbon nanotubes,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 90–94, 2012.
- L. A. Girifalco, M. Hodak, and R. S. Lee, “Carbon nanotubes, buckyballs, ropes, and a universal graphitic potential,” Physical Review B, vol. 62, no. 19, pp. 13104–13110, 2000.
- M. Sammalkorpi, A. Krasheninnikov, A. Kuronen, K. Nordlund, and K. Kaski, “Mechanical properties of carbon nanotubes with vacancies and related defects,” Physical Review B, vol. 70, no. 24, Article ID 245416, 8 pages, 2005.
- N. M. Pugno, “Young’s modulus reduction of defective nanotubes,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 4, Article ID 043106, 3 pages, 2007.
- A. V. Krasheninnikov and F. Banhart, “Engineering of nanostructured carbon materials with electron or ion beams,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 723–733, 2007.
- S. Okada, T. Mukawa, R. Kobayashi et al., “Comparison of Young's modulus dependency on beam accelerating voltage between electron-beam- and focused ion-beam-induced chemical vapor deposition pillars,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics Part 1, vol. 45, no. 6 B, pp. 5556–5559, 2006.
- A. Champi, A. S. Ferlauto, F. Alvarez, S. R. P. Silva, and F. C. Marques, “On the elastic constants of amorphous carbon nitride,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1850–1852, 2008.
- S. R. Timoshenko and J. N. Goodier, Theory of Elasticity, McGraw-Hill, 3rd edition, 1970.
- J. G. A. Croll, “Buckling of cylindrical tunnel liners,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 333–341, 2001.
- M. Sato and M. H. Patel, “Exact and simplified estimations for elastic buckling pressures of structural pipe-in-pipe cross sections under external hydrostatic pressure,” Journal of Marine Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 251–262, 2007.
- M. Sato, M. H. Patel, and F. Trarieux, “Static displacement and elastic buckling characteristics of structural pipe-in-pipe cross-sections,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 263–278, 2008.