- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 781212, 11 pages
Bacterial Filtration Using Carbon Nanotube/Antibiotic Buckypaper Membranes
1Soft Materials Group, School of Chemistry, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
2Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
3Intelligent Polymer Research Institute, ARC Centre for Excellence for Electromaterials Science, AIIM Facility, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
4Institute of Materials Engineering, Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, Lucas Heights, NSW 2234, Australia
Received 7 November 2012; Revised 28 January 2013; Accepted 8 February 2013
Academic Editor: Yanbao Zhao
Copyright © 2013 Luke J. Sweetman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. S. Cabral, “Water microbiology. Bacterial pathogens and water,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 3657–3703, 2010.
- A. Fenwick, “Waterborne infectious diseases—could they be consigned to history?” Science, vol. 313, no. 5790, pp. 1077–1081, 2006.
- G. D. Kang and Y. M. Cao, “Development of antifouling reverse osmosis membranes for water treatment: a review,” Water Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 584–600, 2012.
- B. van der Bruggen, M. Mänttäri, and M. Nyström, “Drawbacks of applying nanofiltration and how to avoid them: a review,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 251–263, 2008.
- M. Ulbricht, “Advanced functional polymer membranes,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 2217–2262, 2006.
- M. A. Shannon, P. W. Bohn, M. Elimelech, J. G. Georgiadis, B. J. Marĩas, and A. M. Mayes, “Science and technology for water purification in the coming decades,” Nature, vol. 452, no. 7185, pp. 301–310, 2008.
- J. K. Holt, H. G. Park, Y. Wang et al., “Fast mass transport through sub-2-nanometer carbon nanotubes,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5776, pp. 1034–1037, 2006.
- M. Majumder, N. Chopra, R. Andrews, and B. J. Hinds, “Nanoscale hydrodynamics: enhanced flow in carbon nanotubes,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7064, pp. 44–46, 2005.
- A. Srivastava, O. N. Srivastava, S. Talapatra, R. Vajtai, and P. M. Ajayan, “Carbon nanotube filters,” Nature Materials, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 610–614, 2004.
- S. Kang, M. Pinault, L. D. Pfefferle, and M. Elimelech, “Single-walled carbon nanotubes exhibit strong antimicrobial activity,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 17, pp. 8670–8673, 2007.
- S. Kang, M. Herzberg, D. F. Rodrigues, and M. Elimelech, “Antibacterial effects of carbon nanotubes: size does matter!,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 6409–6413, 2008.
- A. S. Brady-Estévez, S. Kang, and M. Elimelech, “A single-walled-carbon-nanotube filter for removal of viral and bacterial pathogens,” Small, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 481–484, 2008.
- A. S. Brady-Estévez, M. H. Schnoor, S. Kang, and M. Elimelech, “SWNT-MWNT hybrid filter attains high viral removal and bacterial inactivation,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 24, pp. 19153–19158, 2010.
- L. J. Sweetman, L. Nghiem, I. Chironi, G. Triani, M. in het Panhuis, and S. F. Ralph, “Synthesis, properties and water permeability of SWNT buckypapers,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 27, pp. 13800–13810, 2012.
- L. Ji, W. Chen, S. Zheng, Z. Xu, and D. Zhu, “Adsorption of sulfonamide antibiotics to multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 11608–11613, 2009.
- L. Ji, W. Chen, L. Duan, and D. Zhu, “Mechanisms for strong adsorption of tetracycline to carbon nanotubes: a comparative study using activated carbon and graphite as adsorbents,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2322–2327, 2009.
- S. A. Kumar, S. F. Wang, C. T. Yeh, H. C. Lu, J. C. Yang, and Y. T. Chang, “Direct electron transfer of cytochrome C and its electrocatalytic properties on multiwalled carbon nanotubes/ciprofloxacin films,” Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2129–2135, 2010.
- S. A. Kumar and S. F. Wang, “Adsorption of ciprofloxacin and its role for stabilizing multi-walled carbon nanotubes and characterization,” Materials Letters, vol. 63, no. 21, pp. 1830–1833, 2009.
- S. A. Kumar, S. F. Wang, Y. T. Chang, H. C. Lu, and C. T. Yeh, “Electrochemical properties of myoglobin deposited on multi-walled carbon nanotube/ciprofloxacin film,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 526–531, 2011.
- S. Brunauer, P. H. Emmett, and E. Teller, “Adsorption of gases in multimolecular layers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 309–319, 1938.
- G. Horvath and K. Kawazoe, “Method for the calculation of effective pore size distribution in molecular sieve carbon,” Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 470–475, 1983.
- E. P. Barrett, L. G. Joyner, and P. P. Halenda, “The determination of pore volume and area distributions in porous substances. I. Computations from nitrogen isotherms,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 373–380, 1951.
- F. M. Blighe, Y. R. Hernandez, W. J. Blau, and J. N. Coleman, “Observation of percolation-like scaling—far from the percolation threshold—in high volume fraction, high conductivity polymer-nanotube composite films,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 24, pp. 4443–4447, 2007.
- H. Kataura, Y. Kumazawa, Y. Maniwa et al., “Optical properties of single-wall carbon nanotubes,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 103, no. 1–3, pp. 2555–2558, 1999.