- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 789289, 22 pages
A Review of the Effect of Processing Variables on the Fabrication of Electrospun Nanofibers for Drug Delivery Applications
1Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa
2School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, St. John’s University of Tanzania, Dodoma, Tanzania
Received 21 November 2012; Accepted 20 December 2012
Academic Editor: Lianjun Wang
Copyright © 2013 Viness Pillay et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [24 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- H Maleki, A A Gharehaghaji, L Moroni, and P J Dijkstra, “Influence of the solvent type on the morphology and mechanical properties of electrospun PLLA yarns,” Biofabrication, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 035014, 2013.
- Leonard D. Tijing, June-Seok Choi, Sangho Lee, Seung-Hyun Kim, and Ho Kyong Shon, “Recent progress of membrane distillation using electrospun nanofibrous membrane,” Journal of Membrane Science, 2013.
- Marie Richard-Lacroix, and Christian Pellerin, “Molecular Orientation in Electrospun Fibers: From Mats to Single Fibers,” Macromolecules, pp. 131108153720009, 2013.
- Ioanna Savva, Demetris Constantinou, Oana Marinica, Eugeniu Vasile, Ladislau Vekas, and Theodora Krasia-Christoforou, “Fabrication and Characterization of Superparamagnetic Poly(vinyl pyrrolidone)/Poly(L-lactide)/Fe3O4 Electrospun Membranes,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2013.
- Sujith Kalluri, Kuok Hau Seng, Zaiping Guo, Hua Kun Liu, and Shi Xue Dou, “Electrospun lithium metal oxide cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries,” RSC Advances, vol. 3, no. 48, pp. 25576, 2013.
- Kwan-Ha Shin, Young-Hag Koh, and Hyoun-Ee Kim, “Synthesis and Characterization of Drug-Loaded Poly(-caprolactone)/Silica Hybrid Nanofibrous Scaffolds,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2013, pp. 1–12, 2013.
- Nowsheen Goonoo, Archana Bhaw-Luximon, and Dhanjay Jhurry, “Drug Loading and Release from Electrospun Biodegradable Nanofibers,” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 2173–2199, 2014.
- Naeema Mayet, Yahya E. Choonara, Pradeep Kumar, Lomas K. Tomar, Charu Tyagi, Lisa C. Du Toit, and Viness Pillay, “A Comprehensive Review of Advanced Biopolymeric Wound Healing Systems,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014.
- Thitikan Khampieng, Gary E. Wnek, and Pitt Supaphol, “ Electrospun DOXY-h loaded-poly(acrylic acid) nanofiber mats: in vitro drug release and antibacterial properties investigation ,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Mariam A. Badawi, and Labiba K. El-Khordagui, “A Quality by Design Approach to Optimization of Emulsions for Electrospinning using Factorial and D-optimal Designs,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014.
- Xiuli Hu, Shi Liu, Guangyuan Zhou, Yubin Huang, Zhigang Xie, and Xiabin Jing, “Electrospinning of polymeric nanofibers for drug delivery applications,” Journal of Controlled Release, 2014.
- A.G. Guex, D. Hegemann, M.N. Giraud, H.T. Tevaearai, A.M. Popa, R.M. Rossi, and G. Fortunato, “Covalent immobilisation of VEGF on plasma-coated electrospun scaffolds for tissue engineering applications,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2014.
- P. Arribas, M. Khayet, M.C. García-Payo, and L. Gil, “Self-sustained electro-spun polysulfone nano-fibrous membranes and their surface modification by interfacial polymerization for micro- and ultra-filtration,” Separation and Purification Technology, 2014.
- Caitlin E. Pegg, Gregory H. Jones, Thushara J. Athauda, Ruya R. Ozer, and Justin M. Chalker, “Facile preparation of ammonium alginate-derived nanofibers carrying diverse therapeutic cargo,” Chemical Communications, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 156–158, 2014.
- Hao Dou, and Baoqi Zuo, “Effect of Sodium Carbonate Concentrations on the Formation and Mechanism of Regenerated Silk Fibroin Nanofibers by Electrospinning,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Jian-Yi Zheng, Ming-Feng Zhuang, Zhao-Jie Yu, Gao-Feng Zheng, Yang Zhao, Han Wang, and Dao-Heng Sun, “The Effect of Surfactants on the Diameter and Morphology of Electrospun Ultrafine Nanofiber,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Poornima Dubey, Bharat Bhushan, Abhay Sachdev, Ishita Matai, S. Uday Kumar, and P. Gopinath, “Silver-nanoparticle-incorporated composite nanofibers for potential wound-dressing applications,” Journal Of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 132, no. 35, 2015.
- Vincenzo Guarino, Rosaria Altobelli, Valentina Cirillo, Annunziata Cummaro, and Luigi Ambrosio, “Additive electrospraying: a route to process electrospun scaffolds for controlled molecular release,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 2015.
- Jinchao Zhao, Nazila Dehbari, Wei Han, Leping Huang, and Youhong Tang, “Electrospun multi-scale hybrid nanofiber/net with enhanced water swelling ability in rubber composites,” Materials & Design, 2015.
- Xin Zhao, Jingwen Zhao, Zhi Yuan (William) Lin, Guoqing Pan, Yueqi Zhu, Yingsheng Cheng, and Wenguo Cui, “Self-coated interfacial layer at organic/inorganic phase for temporally controlling dual-drug delivery from electrospun fibers,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2015.
- Maja Simonoska Crcarevska, Aneta Dimitrovska, Nadica Sibinovska, Kristina Mladenovska, Renata Slavevska Raicki, and Marija Glavas Dodov, “Implementation of quality by design principles in the development of microsponges as drug delivery carriers: Identification and optimization of critical factors using multivariate statistical analyses and design of experiments studies,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2015.
- Hossein Mohammad Khanlou, Bee Chin Ang, Sepehr Talebian, Mohsen Marani Barzani, Mahyar Silakhori, and Hadi Fauzi, “Multi-response analysis in the processing of poly (methyl methacrylate) nano-fibres membrane by electrospinning based on response surface methodology: fibre diameter and bead formation,” Measurement, 2015.
- A. Balaji, M. V. Vellayappan, A. A. John, A. P. Subramanian, S. K. Jaganathan, Eko Supriyanto, and S. I. A. Razak, “An insight on electrospun-nanofibers-inspired modern drug delivery system in the treatment of deadly cancers,” RSC Adv., vol. 5, no. 71, pp. 57984–58004, 2015.
- Adnan Haider, Sanghwa Kwak, Kailash Chandra Gupta, and Inn-Kyu Kang, “Antibacterial Activity and Cytocompatibility of PLGA/CuO Hybrid Nanofiber Scaffolds Prepared by Electrospinning,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.