- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 789289, 22 pages
A Review of the Effect of Processing Variables on the Fabrication of Electrospun Nanofibers for Drug Delivery Applications
1Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa
2School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, St. John’s University of Tanzania, Dodoma, Tanzania
Received 21 November 2012; Accepted 20 December 2012
Academic Editor: Lianjun Wang
Copyright © 2013 Viness Pillay et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [45 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- H Maleki, A A Gharehaghaji, L Moroni, and P J Dijkstra, “Influence of the solvent type on the morphology and mechanical properties of electrospun PLLA yarns,” Biofabrication, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 035014, 2013.
- Leonard D. Tijing, June-Seok Choi, Sangho Lee, Seung-Hyun Kim, and Ho Kyong Shon, “Recent progress of membrane distillation using electrospun nanofibrous membrane,” Journal of Membrane Science, 2013.
- Marie Richard-Lacroix, and Christian Pellerin, “Molecular Orientation in Electrospun Fibers: From Mats to Single Fibers,” Macromolecules, pp. 131108153720009, 2013.
- Ioanna Savva, Demetris Constantinou, Oana Marinica, Eugeniu Vasile, Ladislau Vekas, and Theodora Krasia-Christoforou, “Fabrication and Characterization of Superparamagnetic Poly(vinyl pyrrolidone)/Poly(L-lactide)/Fe3O4 Electrospun Membranes,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2013.
- Sujith Kalluri, Kuok Hau Seng, Zaiping Guo, Hua Kun Liu, and Shi Xue Dou, “Electrospun lithium metal oxide cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries,” RSC Advances, vol. 3, no. 48, pp. 25576, 2013.
- Kwan-Ha Shin, Young-Hag Koh, and Hyoun-Ee Kim, “Synthesis and Characterization of Drug-Loaded Poly(-caprolactone)/Silica Hybrid Nanofibrous Scaffolds,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2013, pp. 1–12, 2013.
- Nowsheen Goonoo, Archana Bhaw-Luximon, and Dhanjay Jhurry, “Drug Loading and Release from Electrospun Biodegradable Nanofibers,” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 2173–2199, 2014.
- Naeema Mayet, Yahya E. Choonara, Pradeep Kumar, Lomas K. Tomar, Charu Tyagi, Lisa C. Du Toit, and Viness Pillay, “A Comprehensive Review of Advanced Biopolymeric Wound Healing Systems,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014.
- Thitikan Khampieng, Gary E. Wnek, and Pitt Supaphol, “ Electrospun DOXY-h loaded-poly(acrylic acid) nanofiber mats: in vitro drug release and antibacterial properties investigation ,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Xiuli Hu, Shi Liu, Guangyuan Zhou, Yubin Huang, Zhigang Xie, and Xiabin Jing, “Electrospinning of polymeric nanofibers for drug delivery applications,” Journal of Controlled Release, 2014.
- Mariam A. Badawi, and Labiba K. El-Khordagui, “A Quality by Design Approach to Optimization of Emulsions for Electrospinning using Factorial and D-optimal Designs,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014.
- A.G. Guex, D. Hegemann, M.N. Giraud, H.T. Tevaearai, A.M. Popa, R.M. Rossi, and G. Fortunato, “Covalent immobilisation of VEGF on plasma-coated electrospun scaffolds for tissue engineering applications,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2014.
- P. Arribas, M. Khayet, M.C. García-Payo, and L. Gil, “Self-sustained electro-spun polysulfone nano-fibrous membranes and their surface modification by interfacial polymerization for micro- and ultra-filtration,” Separation and Purification Technology, 2014.
- Caitlin E. Pegg, Gregory H. Jones, Thushara J. Athauda, Ruya R. Ozer, and Justin M. Chalker, “Facile preparation of ammonium alginate-derived nanofibers carrying diverse therapeutic cargo,” Chemical Communications, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 156–158, 2014.
- Hao Dou, and Baoqi Zuo, “Effect of Sodium Carbonate Concentrations on the Formation and Mechanism of Regenerated Silk Fibroin Nanofibers by Electrospinning,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Jian-Yi Zheng, Ming-Feng Zhuang, Zhao-Jie Yu, Gao-Feng Zheng, Yang Zhao, Han Wang, and Dao-Heng Sun, “The Effect of Surfactants on the Diameter and Morphology of Electrospun Ultrafine Nanofiber,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Poornima Dubey, Bharat Bhushan, Abhay Sachdev, Ishita Matai, S. Uday Kumar, and P. Gopinath, “Silver-nanoparticle-incorporated composite nanofibers for potential wound-dressing applications,” Journal Of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 132, no. 35, 2015.
- Panagiota Moutsatsou, Karen Coopman, Martin B. Smith, and Stella Georgiadou, “Conductive PANI Fibres and determining factors for the electrospinning window,” Polymer, 2015.
- Vincenzo Guarino, Rosaria Altobelli, Valentina Cirillo, Annunziata Cummaro, and Luigi Ambrosio, “Additive electrospraying: a route to process electrospun scaffolds for controlled molecular release,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 2015.
- Jinchao Zhao, Nazila Dehbari, Wei Han, Leping Huang, and Youhong Tang, “Electrospun multi-scale hybrid nanofiber/net with enhanced water swelling ability in rubber composites,” Materials & Design, 2015.
- Xin Zhao, Jingwen Zhao, Zhi Yuan (William) Lin, Guoqing Pan, Yueqi Zhu, Yingsheng Cheng, and Wenguo Cui, “Self-coated interfacial layer at organic/inorganic phase for temporally controlling dual-drug delivery from electrospun fibers,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2015.
- Maja Simonoska Crcarevska, Aneta Dimitrovska, Nadica Sibinovska, Kristina Mladenovska, Renata Slavevska Raicki, and Marija Glavas Dodov, “Implementation of quality by design principles in the development of microsponges as drug delivery carriers: Identification and optimization of critical factors using multivariate statistical analyses and design of experiments studies,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2015.
- Shih-Feng Chou, Daniel Carson, and Kim A. Woodrow, “Current strategies for sustaining drug release from electrospun nanofibers,” Journal Of Controlled Release, vol. 220, pp. 584–591, 2015.
- Adnan Haider, Sajjad Haider, and Inn-Kyu Kang, “A comprehensive review summarizing the effect of electrospinning parameters and potential applications of nanofibers in biomedical and biotechnology,” Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2015.
- Abdul Moheman, Mohammad Sarwar Alam, and Ali Mohammad, “Recent trends in electrospinning of polymer nanofibers and their applications in ultra thin layer chromatography,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 2015.
- Saheem Absar, Mujibur Khan, Kyle Edwards, and Jeffrey Neumann, “Investigation of synthesis and processing of cellulose, cellulose acetate and poly(ethylene oxide) nanofibers incorporating anti-cancer/tumor drug cis,” Journal Of Polymer Engineering, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 867–878, 2015.
- Hossein Mohammad Khanlou, Bee Chin Ang, Sepehr Talebian, Mohsen Marani Barzani, Mahyar Silakhori, and Hadi Fauzi, “Multi-response analysis in the processing of poly (methyl methacrylate) nano-fibres membrane by electrospinning based on response surface methodology: fibre diameter and bead formation,” Measurement, 2015.
- Adnan Haider, Sanghwa Kwak, Kailash Chandra Gupta, and Inn-Kyu Kang, “Antibacterial Activity and Cytocompatibility of PLGA/CuO Hybrid Nanofiber Scaffolds Prepared by Electrospinning,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- A. Balaji, M. V. Vellayappan, A. A. John, A. P. Subramanian, S. K. Jaganathan, Eko Supriyanto, and S. I. A. Razak, “An insight on electrospun-nanofibers-inspired modern drug delivery system in the treatment of deadly cancers,” RSC Adv., vol. 5, no. 71, pp. 57984–58004, 2015.
- Mir Reza Mousavi, Mehdi Rafizadeh, and Farhad Sharif, “Investigation of Effect of Electrospinning Parameters on the Morphology of Polyacrylonitrile/Polymethylmethacrylate Nanofibers: A Box-Behnken-Based St,” Journal Of Macromolecular Science Part B-Physics, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 975–991, 2015.
- Ryan Stoddard, and Xing Chen, “Electrospinning of ultra-thin nanofibers achieved through comprehensive statistical study,” Materials Research Express, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 055022, 2016.
- Navaporn Kaerkitcha, Surawut Chuangchote, and Takashi Sagawa, “Control of physical properties of carbon nanofibers obtained from coaxial electrospinning of PMMA and PAN with adjustable inner/outer nozzle-ends,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 11, no. 1, 2016.
- Marco Santoro, Sarita R. Shah, Jennifer L. Walker, and Antonios G. Mikos, “Poly(lactic acid) nanofibrous scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2016.
- Olivera Evrova, Joanna Houska, Manfred Welti, Eliana Bonavoglia, Maurizio Calcagni, Pietro Giovanoli, Viola Vogel, and Johanna Buschmann, “Bioactive, Elastic, and Biodegradable Emulsion Electrospun DegraPol Tube Delivering PDGF-BB for Tendon Rupture Repair,” Macromolecular Bioscience, 2016.
- Feilong Liu, Dandan Song, Xueying Huang, and Hui Xu, “Electrospun polystyrene nanofibers as a novel adsorbent to transfer an organic phase from an aqueous phase,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1326–1330, 2016.
- Panoraia I. Siafaka, PanagiotisBarmbalexis, and Dimitrios N. Bikiaris, “Novel electrospun nanofibrous matrices prepared from poly(lactic acid)/poly(butylene adipate) blends for controlled release formulations of an anti-rheumatoid agent,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2016.
- Gözde Kabay, Gizem Kaleli, Zahida Sultanova, Tolga Tarkan Ölmez, Urartu Özgür Şafak Şeker, and Mehmet Mutlu, “Biocatalytic protein membranes fabricated by electrospinning,” Reactive and Functional Polymers, 2016.
- Jiraporn Chumpol, and Sineenat Siri, “Electrospun cellulose acetate membrane for size separating and antibacterial screening of crude polysaccharides,” IET Nanobiotechnology, 2016.
- Princeton Carter, Shekh M. Rahman, and Narayan Bhattarai, “Facile fabrication of aloe vera containing PCL nanofibers for barrier membrane application,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, pp. 1–17, 2016.
- Ingrid Tamm, Jyrki Heinämäki, Ivo Laidmäe, Liisi Rammo, Urve Paaver, Sveinung G. Ingebrigtsen, Nataša Škalko-Basnet, Anna Halenius, Jouko Yliruusi, Pauliina Pitkänen, Sami Alakurtti, and Karin Kogermann, “Development of Suberin Fatty Acids and Chloramphenicol-Loaded Antimicrobial Electrospun Nanofibrous Mats Intended for Wound Therapy,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2016.
- Panoraia Siafaka, Neslihan Üstündağ Okur, Mariza Mone, Spyridoula Giannakopoulou, Sevda Er, Eleni Pavlidou, Evangelos Karavas, and Dimitrios Bikiaris, “Two Different Approaches for Oral Administration of Voriconazole Loaded Formulations: Electrospun Fibers versus β-Cyclodextrin Complexes,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 282, 2016.
- Muhammad Zafar, Shariq Najeeb, Zohaib Khurshid, Masoud Vazirzadeh, Sana Zohaib, Bilal Najeeb, and Farshid Sefat, “Potential of Electrospun Nanofibers for Biomedical and Dental Applications,” Materials, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 73, 2016.
- Alaa J Hassiba, Mohamed E El Zowalaty, Gheyath K Nasrallah, Thomas J Webster, Adriaan S Luyt, Aboubakr M Abdullah, and Ahmed A Elzatahry, “Review of recent research on biomedical applications of electrospun polymer nanofibers for improved wound healing,” Nanomedicine, 2016.
- Wenjing Ma, Qilu Zhang, Dawei Hua, Ranhua Xiong, Juntao Zhao, Weidong Rao, Shenlin Huang, Xianxu Zhan, Fei Chen, and Chaobo Huang, “Electrospun fibers for oil–water separation,” RSC Adv., vol. 6, no. 16, pp. 12868–12884, 2016.
- Ying Zhao, Yihui Qiu, Huanhuan Wang, Yu Chen, Shaohua Jin, and Shuseng Chen, “Preparation of Nanofibers with Renewable Polymers and Their Application in Wound Dressing,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2016, pp. 1–17, 2016.