- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 790323, 9 pages
Optimal Size of Gold Nanoparticles for Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy under Different Conditions
Department of Chemistry, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620, USA
Received 29 November 2012; Accepted 13 May 2013
Academic Editor: Jun Li
Copyright © 2013 Seongmin Hong and Xiao Li. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Xia, J. Wang, S. Tong, G. Liu, J. Li, and H. Zhang, “Design and construction of a sensitive silver substrate for surface-enhanced Raman scattering spectroscopy,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 124–128, 2008.
- Y. Wang, H. Wei, B. Li et al., “SERS opens a new way in aptasensor for protein recognition with high sensitivity and selectivity,” Chemical Communications, no. 48, pp. 5220–5222, 2007.
- S. Nie and S. R. Emory, “Probing single molecules and single nanoparticles by surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Science, vol. 275, no. 5303, pp. 1102–1106, 1997.
- R. J. Dijkstra, W. J. J. M. Scheenen, N. Dam, E. W. Roubos, and J. J. ter Meulen, “Monitoring neurotransmitter release using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2007.
- J. Ni, R. J. Lipert, G. B. Dawson, and M. D. Porter, “Immunoassay readout method using extrinsic raman labels adsorbed on immunogold colloids,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 71, no. 21, pp. 4903–4908, 1999.
- M. Moskovits, “Spectroscopy: expanding versatility,” Nature, vol. 464, no. 7287, p. 357, 2010.
- R. A. Alvarez-Puebla and L. M. Liz-Marzán, “SERS-based diagnosis and biodetection,” Small, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 604–610, 2010.
- I. Mannelli and M. P. Marco, “Recent advances in analytical and bioanalysis applications of noble metal nanorods,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 398, no. 6, pp. 2451–2469, 2010.
- T. Vo-Dinh, H. N. Wang, and J. Scaffidi, “Plasmonic nanoprobes for SERS biosensing and bioimaging,” Journal of Biophotonics, vol. 3, no. 1-2, pp. 89–102, 2010.
- J. Kneipp, H. Kneipp, B. Wittig, and K. Kneipp, “Novel optical nanosensors for probing and imaging live cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 214–226, 2010.
- C. S. Seney, B. M. Gutzman, and R. H. Goddard, “Correlation of size and surface-enhanced raman scattering activity of optical and spectroscopic properties for silver nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 74–80, 2009.
- K. G. Stamplecoskie, J. C. Scaiano, V. S. Tiwari, and H. Anis, “Optimal size of silver nanoparticles for surface-enhanced raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 1403–1409, 2011.
- P. K. Jain, X. Huang, I. H. El-Sayed, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Review of some interesting surface plasmon resonance-enhanced properties of noble metal nanoparticles and their applications to biosystems,” Plasmonics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 107–118, 2007.
- S. C. Boca, C. Farcau, and S. Astilean, “The study of Raman enhancement efficiency as function of nanoparticle size and shape,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B, vol. 267, no. 2, pp. 406–410, 2009.
- J. K. Yoon, K. Kim, and K. S. Shin, “Raman scattering of 4-aminobenzenethiol sandwiched between Au nanoparticles and a macroscopically smooth Au substrate: effect of size of Au nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 1769–1774, 2009.
- J. D. Driskell, R. J. Lipert, and M. D. Porter, “Labeled gold nanoparticles immobilized at smooth metallic substrates: systematic investigation of surface plasmon resonance and surface-enhanced raman scattering,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 35, pp. 17444–17451, 2006.
- P. N. Njoki, I. I. S. Lim, D. Mott et al., “Size correlation of optical and spectroscopic properties for gold nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 40, pp. 14664–14669, 2007.
- M. Cyrankiewicz, T. Wybranowski, and S. Kruszewski, “Study of SERS efficiency of metallic colloidal systems,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 79, no. 1, Article ID 012013, 2007.
- W. Haiss, N. T. K. Thanh, J. Aveyard, and D. G. Fernig, “Determination of size and concentration of gold nanoparticles from UV-Vis spectra,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 79, no. 11, pp. 4215–4221, 2007.
- E. Y. Hleb and D. O. Lapotko, “Photothermal properties of gold nanoparticles under exposure to high optical energies,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 35, Article ID 355702, 2008.
- J. E. Herrera and N. Sakulchaicharoen, “Microscopic and spectroscopic characterization of nanoparticles,” Drugs and the Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 191, p. 239, 2009.
- J. A. Creighton, “Metal colloids,” in Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering, R. K. Chang and T. E. Furtak, Eds., p. 315, Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- Z. Kolska, J. Riha, V. Hnatowicz, and V. Svorcik, “Lattice parameter and expected density of Au nano-structures sputtered on glass,” Materials Letters, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 1160–1162, 2010.
- K. Kim and H. S. Lee, “Effect of Ag and Au nanoparticles on the SERS of 4-aminobenzenethiol assembled on powdered copper,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 40, pp. 18929–18934, 2005.
- M. E. Abdelsalam, “Surface enhanced raman scattering of aromatic thiols adsorbed on nanostructured gold surfaces,” Central European Journal of Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 446–453, 2009.
- V. S. Tiwari, T. Oleg, G. K. Darbha, W. Hardy, J. P. Singh, and P. C. Ray, “Non-resonance SERS effects of silver colloids with different shapes,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 446, no. 1–3, pp. 77–82, 2007.
- E. C. Le Ru, E. Blackie, M. Meyer, and P. G. Etchegoin, “Surface enhanced Raman scattering enhancement factors: a comprehensive study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 37, pp. 13794–13803, 2007.
- W. B. Cai, B. Ren, X. Q. Li et al., “Investigation of surface-enhanced Raman scattering from platinum electrodes using a confocal Raman microscope: dependence of surface roughening pretreatment,” Surface Science, vol. 406, no. 1–3, pp. 9–22, 1998.
- K. L. Kelly, E. Coronado, L. L. Zhao, and G. C. Schatz, “The optical properties of metal nanoparticles: the influence of size, shape, and dielectric environment,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 668–677, 2003.
- S. Ghoshal, D. Mitra, S. Roy, and D. D. Majumder, “Biosensors and biochips for nanomedical applications: a review,” Sensors and Transducers Journal, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 1–17, 2010.
- S. A. Maie, Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 2006.
- M. Moskovits, “Surface-enhanced spectroscopy,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 783–826, 1985.
- Y. S. Chen, Y. C. Hung, I. Liau, and G. S. Huang, “Assessment of the in vivo toxicity of gold nanoparticles,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 858–864, 2009.