- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 839016, 7 pages
Adsorption of Albumin on Silica Surfaces Modified by Silver and Copper Nanoparticles
School of Advanced Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering, Mawson Institute, University of South Australia, Mawson Lakes, Adelaide, SA 5095, Australia
Received 30 January 2013; Revised 27 May 2013; Accepted 27 May 2013
Academic Editor: Mohamed Bououdina
Copyright © 2013 Prity Kumari and Peter Majewski. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Mack, H. Rohde, L. G. Harris, A. P. Davies, M. A. Horstkotte, and J. K.-M. Knobloch, “Biofilm formation in medical device-related infection,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 343–359, 2006.
- S. Noimark, C. W. Dunnill, M. Wilson, and I. P. Parkin, “The role of surfaces in catheter-associated infections,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 3435–3448, 2009.
- K. Vasilev, J. Cook, and H. J. Griesser, “Antibacterial surfaces for biomedical devices,” Expert Review of Medical Devices, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 553–567, 2009.
- J. C. Tiller, C.-J. Liao, K. Lewis, and A. M. Klibanov, “Designing surfaces that kill bacteria on contact,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 5981–5985, 2001.
- M. S. Kim, G. Khang, and H. B. Lee, “Gradient polymer surfaces for biomedical applications,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 138–164, 2008.
- I. Banerjee, R. C. Pangule, and R. S. Kane, “Antifouling coatings: recent developments in the design of surfaces that prevent fouling by proteins, bacteria, and marine organisms,” Advanced Materials, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 690–718, 2011.
- F. Costa, I. F. Carvalho, R. C. Montelaro, P. Gomes, and M. C. L. Martins, “Covalent immobilization of antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) onto biomaterial surfaces,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1431–1440, 2011.
- W. C. E. Schofield and J. P. S. Badyal, “A substrate-independent approach for bactericidal surfaces,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 2763–2767, 2009.
- A. Simchi, E. Tamjid, F. Pishbin, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Recent progress in inorganic and composite coatings with bactericidal capability for orthopaedic applications,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 22–39, 2011.
- H. de Lencastre, D. Oliveira, and A. Tomasz, “Antibiotic resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a paradigm of adaptive power,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 428–435, 2007.
- H. Nikaido, “Multidrug resistance in bacteria,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 78, pp. 119–146, 2009.
- I. M. Gould, “Antibiotics, skin and soft tissue infection and meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: cause and effect,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 34, supplement 1, pp. S8–S11, 2009.
- M. L. W. Knetsch and L. H. Koole, “New strategies in the development of antimicrobial coatings: the example of increasing usage of silver and silver nanoparticles,” Polymers, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 340–366, 2011.
- K. Senior, S. Muller, V. J. Schacht, and M. Bunge, “Antimicrobial precious-metal nanoparticles and their use in novel materials,” Recent Patents on Food, Nutrition & Agriculture, vol. 4, pp. 200–209, 2012.
- V. K. Sharma, R. A. Yngard, and Y. Lin, “Silver nanoparticles: green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 145, no. 1-2, pp. 83–96, 2009.
- J. S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu et al., “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- M. Rai, A. Yadav, and A. Gade, “Silver nanoparticles as a new generation of antimicrobials,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 76–83, 2009.
- S. Galdiero, A. Falanga, M. Vitiello, M. Cantisani, V. Marra, and M. Galdiero, “Silver nanoparticles as potential antiviral agents,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 8894–8918, 2011.
- H. H. Lara, E. N. Garza-Treviño, L. Ixtepan-Turrent, and D. K. Singh, “Silver nanoparticles are broad-spectrum bactericidal and virucidal compounds,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 9, article 30, 2011.
- A. Panáček, M. Kolář, R. Večeřová et al., “Antifungal activity of silver nanoparticles against Candida spp,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 31, pp. 6333–6340, 2009.
- L. S. Acosta-Torres, I. Mendieta, R. E. Nuñez-Anita, M. Cajero-Juárez, and V. M. Castaño, “Cytocompatible antifungal acrylic resin containing silver nanoparticles for dentures,” Internat J Nanomedicine, vol. 7, pp. 4777–4786, 2012.
- J. R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho et al., “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- Q. L. Feng, J. Wu, G. Q. Chen, F. Z. Cui, T. N. Kim, and J. Q. Kim, “A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Biomedical Materials, vol. 52, pp. 662–668, 2000.
- I. Sondi and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- H. Y. Song, K. K. Ko, L. H. Oh, and B. T. Lee, “Fabrication of silver nanoparticles and their antimicrobial mechanisms,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 11, pp. 58–60, 2006.
- I.-W. Shim, W.-T. Noh, J. Kwon, J. Y. Cho, K.-S. Kim, and D. H. Kang, “Preparation of copper nanoparticles in cellulose acetate polymer and the reaction chemistry of copper complexes in the polymer,” Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 563–568, 2002.
- H. H. Huang, F. Q. Yan, Y. M. Kek et al., “Synthesis, characterization, and nonlinear optical properties of copper nanoparticles,” Langmuir, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 172–179, 1997.
- C. Latasa, C. Solano, J. R. Penadés, and I. Lasa, “Biofilm-associated proteins,” Comptes Rendus, vol. 329, no. 11, pp. 849–857, 2006.
- Y. Schmitt, H. Hähl, C. Gilow et al., “Structural evolution of protein-biofilms: simulations and experiments,” Biomicrofluidics, vol. 4, no. 3, Article ID 032201, 2010.
- J. Kimling, M. Maier, B. Okenve, V. Kotaidis, H. Ballot, and A. Plech, “Turkevich method for gold nanoparticle synthesis revisited,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 32, pp. 15700–15707, 2006.
- P. Wagener, S. Barcikowski, and N. Baersch, “Fabrication of nanoparticles and nanomaterials using laser ablation in liquids,” Photonik International, vol. 1, pp. 20–23, 2011.
- V. Amendola, O. M. Bakr, and F. Stellacci, “A study of the surface plasmon resonance of silver nanoparticles by the discrete dipole approximation method: effect of shape, size, structure, and assembly,” Plasmonics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 85–97, 2010.
- P. K. Khanna, S. Gaikwad, P. V. Adhyapak, N. Singh, and R. Marimuthu, “Synthesis and characterization of copper nanoparticles,” Materials Letters, vol. 61, no. 25, pp. 4711–4714, 2007.
- Y. Liu, R. G. Jordan, and S. L. Qiu, “Electronic structures of ordered Ag-Mg alloys,” Physical Review B, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 4478–4484, 1994.
- L. H. Tjeng, M. B. J. Meinders, J. Van Elp, J. Ghijsen, G. A. Sawatzky, and R. L. Johnson, “Electronic structure of Ag2O,” Physical Review B, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 3190–3199, 1990.
- M. P. Seah, G. C. Smith, and M. T. Anthony, “AES. Energy calibration of electron spectrometers. I. An absolute, traceable energy calibration and the provision of atomic reference line energies,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 293–308, 1990.
- M. P. Seah, I. S. Gilmore, and G. Beamson, “XPS: binding energy calibration of electron spectrometers 5—Re-evaluation of the reference energies,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 642–649, 1998.
- F. Parmigiani, G. Pacchioni, F. Illas, and P. S. Bagus, “Studies of the CuO bond in cupric oxide by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and ab initio electronic structure models,” Journal of Electron Spectroscopy and Related Phenomena, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 255–269, 1992.
- A. N. Mansour, “Gold Mg Kα XPS spectra from the physical electronics model 5400 spectrometer,” Surface Science Spectra, vol. 3, no. 3, 5 pages, 1994.
- J. G. Jolley, G. G. Geesey, M. R. Haukins, R. B. Write, and P. L. Wichlacz, “Auger electron and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopic study of the biocorrosion of copper by alginic acid polysaccharide,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 469–480, 1989.
- J. A. Thornton, “The microstructure of sputter-deposited coatings,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, vol. 4, pp. 3059–3065, 1986.
- R. Spares, C. Franco, E. Pires et al., “Mass spectrometry and animal science: protein identification strategies and particularities of farm animal species,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 75, pp. 4190–4206, 2012.
- C. Dass, Principles and Practice of Biological Mass Spectrometry, John Wiley, New York, USA, 2001.
- M. A. Kiselev, I. A. Gryzunov, G. E. Dobretsov, and M. N. Komarova, “Size of a human serum albumin molecule in solution,” Biofizika, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 423–427, 2001.