- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 843647, 9 pages
Antimicrobial Activity of Hippurate Nanocomposite and Its Cytotoxicity Effect in Combination with Cytarabine against HL-60
1Laboratory of Molecular Biomedicine, Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Laboratory of Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics, Institute of Bioscience, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Materials Synhesis and Characterization Laboratory (MSCL), Institute of Advanced Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
4Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 27 August 2012; Revised 27 November 2012; Accepted 28 November 2012
Academic Editor: Xiliang Luo
Copyright © 2013 Samer Hasan Hussein Al Ali et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Rives, Layered Double Hydroxides: Present and Future, Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- G. G. C. Arizaga, K. G. Satyanarayana, and F. Wypych, “Layered hydroxide salts: synthesis, properties and potential applications,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 178, no. 15–18, pp. 1143–1162, 2007.
- K. Ladewig, P. X. Zhi, and Q. L. Gao, “Layered double hydroxide nanoparticles in gene and drug delivery,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 907–922, 2009.
- S. Aisawa, “Nucleotide transport efficiency to leukemia cells by layered double hydroxide,” Kagaku to Kogyo, vol. 55, no. 7, p. 809, 2002.
- J. H. Choy, M. Park, and J. M. Oh, “Bio-nanohybrids based on layered double hydroxide,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 275–281, 2006.
- J. H. Choy, “Biological hybrid materials for drug delivery system,” Solid State Phenomena, vol. 111, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- J. H. Choy and M. Park, “Nanohybridization of biomolecules with layered double hydroxides and hydroxy double salts for advanced applications,” Clay Science, vol. 12, pp. 52–56, 2005.
- M. Louer, D. Louer, and D. Grandjean, “Etude structurale des hydroxynitrates de nickel et de zinc. I. Classification structurale,” Acta Crystallographica B, vol. 29, pp. 1696–1703, 1973.
- S. H. H. Al Ali, M. Al-Qubaisi, M. Z. Hussein, Z. Zainal, and M. N. Hakim, “Preparation of hippurate-zinc layered hydroxide nanohybrid and its synergistic effect with tamoxifen on HepG2 cell lines,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 3099–3111, 2011.
- S. H. Al Ali, M. Al-Qubaisi, M. Z. Hussein, M. Ismail, Z. Zainal, and M. N. Hakim, “Controlled-release formulation of antihistamine based on cetirizine zinc-layered hydroxide nanocomposites and its effect on histamine release from basophilic leukemia (RBL-2H3) cells,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 7, pp. 3351–3363, 2012.
- M. Z. Hussein, S. H. Al Ali, Z. Zainal, and M. N. Hakim, “Development of antiproliferative nanohybrid compound with controlled release property using ellagic acid as the active agent,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 1373–1383, 2011.
- J. M. Andrews, “BSAC standardized disc susceptibility testing method,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 43–57, 2001.
- M. Yin, Y. Gu, I. L. Kuskovsky et al., “Zinc oxide quantum rods,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 20, pp. 6206–6207, 2004.
- S. P. Newman and W. Jones, “Comparative study of some layered hydroxide salts containing exchangeable interlayer anions,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 26–40, 1999.
- J. M. Leclerc and R. L. Momparler, “Effect of the interval between exposures to cytarabine on its cytotoxic action on HL-60 myeloid leukemic cells,” Cancer Treatment Reports, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 1143–1148, 1984.
- D. Y. Bouffard and R. L. Momparler, “Comparison of the induction of apoptosis in human leukemic cell lines by 2', 2'-difluorodeoxycytidine (gemcitabine) and cytosine arabinoside,” Leukemia Research, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 849–856, 1995.
- J. H. Choy, J. S. Jung, J. M. Oh et al., “Layered double hydroxide as an efficient drug reservoir for folate derivatives,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 3059–3064, 2004.
- J. M. T. Hamilton-Miller and W. Brumfitt, “Methenamine and its salts as urinary tract antiseptics. Variables affecting the antibacterial activity of formaldehyde, mandelic acid, and hippuric acid in vitro,” Investigative Urology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 287–291, 1977.
- D. Kaye, “Antibacterial activity of human urine,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 2374–2390, 1968.
- Y. L. Lee, J. Owens, L. Thrupp, and T. C. Cesario, “Does cranberry juice have antibacterial activity?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 13, p. 1691, 2000.
- I. Ofek, J. Goldhar, D. Zafriri, H. Lis, R. Adar, and N. Sharon, “Anti-Escherichia coli adhesin activity of cranberry and blueberry juices,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 324, no. 22, p. 1599, 1991.
- R. Raz, B. Chazan, and M. Dan, “Cranberry juice and urinary tract infection,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1413–1419, 2004.
- N. Mesaros, P. Nordmann, P. Plésiat et al., “Pseudomonas aeruginosa: resistance and therapeutic options at the turn of the new millennium,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 560–578, 2007.
- A. R. Naylor, P. D. Hayes, and S. Darke, “A prospective audit of complex wound and graft infections in Great Britain and Ireland: the emergence of MRSA,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 289–294, 2001.
- J. N. Sharpe, E. H. Shively, and H. C. Polk, “Clinical and economic outcomes of oral linezolid versus intravenous vancomycin in the treatment of MRSA-complicated, lower-extremity skin and soft-tissue infections caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 189, no. 4, pp. 425–428, 2005.
- D. M. Livermore, “Multiple mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: our worst nightmare?” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 634–640, 2002.
- A. J. Huh and Y. J. Kwon, “‘Nanoantibiotics’: a new paradigm for treating infectious diseases using nanomaterials in the antibiotics resistant era,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 156, pp. 128–145, 2011.
- S. Parveen, R. Misra, and S. K. Sahoo, “Nanoparticles: a boon to drug delivery, therapeutics, diagnostics and imaging,” Nanomedicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 147–166, 2012.