- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 845205, 5 pages
Experimental Investigations on Microcracks in Vibrational and Conventional Drilling of Cortical Bone
1Key Laboratory for Biomechanics and Mechanobiology of Ministry of Education, International Joint Research Center of Aerospace Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, Ministry of Science and Technology of China, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing 100191, China
2Research Institute of Beihang University in Shenzhen, Shenzhen 518057, China
Received 14 June 2013; Revised 17 July 2013; Accepted 18 July 2013
Academic Editor: Xiaoming Li
Copyright © 2013 Yu Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. N. Bachus, M. T. Rondina, and D. T. Hutchinson, “The effects of drilling force on cortical temperatures and their duration: an in vitro study,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 685–691, 2000.
- E. T. Berning and R. M. Fowler, “Thermal damage and tracker-pin track infection in computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty,” The Journal of arthroplasty, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 977–e21, 2011.
- X. M. Li, C. A. Van Blitterswijk, Q. L. Feng, F. Cui, and F. Watari, “The effect of calcium phosphate microstructure on bone-related cells in vitro,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 23, pp. 3306–3316, 2008.
- A. R. Eriksson and T. Albrektsson, “Temperature threshold levels for heat-induced bone tissue injury: a vital-microscopic study in the rabbit,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 101–107, 1983.
- W. Bonfield and C. H. Li, “The temperature dependence of the deformation of bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 323–329, 1968.
- X. M. Li, Q. L. Feng, X. H. Liu, W. Dong, and F. Cui, “Collagen-based implants reinforced by chitin fibres in a goat shank bone defect model,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1917–1923, 2006.
- J. Lundskog, “Heat and bone tissue. An experimental investigation of the thermal properties of bone and threshold levels for thermal injury,” Scandinavian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 9, pp. 1–80, 1972.
- W. R. Krause, “Orthogonal bone cutting: saw design and operating characteristics,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 263–271, 1987.
- F. J. O'Brien, D. Taylor, and T. C. Lee, “The effect of bone microstructure on the initiation and growth of microcracks,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 475–480, 2005.
- D. Taylor and J.-H. Kuiper, “The prediction of stress fractures using a “stressed volume” concept,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 919–926, 2001.
- X. M. Li, Y. Yang, Y. B. Fan, et al., “Biocomposites reinforced by fibers or tubes, as scaffolds for tissue engineering or regenerative medicine,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 2013.
- X. M. Li, Y. Huang, L. S. Zheng, et al., “Effect of substrate stiffness on the functions of rat bone marrow and adipose tissue derived mesenchymal stem cells in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, 2013.
- D. B. Carter, W. E. Caler, D. M. Spengler, and V. H. Frankel, “Fatigue behavior of adult cortical bone: the influence of mean strain and strain range,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 481–490, 1981.
- X. M. Li, L. Wang, Y. B. Fan, et al., “Nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2424–2435, 2013.
- X. M. Li, H. Gao, M. Uo et al., “Effect of carbon nanotubes on cellular functions in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 132–139, 2009.
- D. Taylor, F. J. O'Brien, A. Prina-Mello, C. Ryan, P. O'Reilly, and T. C. Lee, “Compression data on bovine bone confirms that a “stressed volume” principle explains the variability of fatigue strength results,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1199–1203, 1999.
- M. B. Schaffler, K. Choi, and C. Milgrom, “Aging and matrix microdamage accumulation in human compact bone,” Bone, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 521–525, 1995.
- X. M. Li, H. F. Liu, X. F. Niu et al., “The use of carbon nanotubes to induce osteogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived MSCs in vitro and ectopic bone formation in vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 4818–4827, 2012.
- D. E. Brehl and T. A. Dow, “Review of vibration-assisted machining,” Precision Engineering, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 153–172, 2008.
- K. Alam, A. V. Mitrofanov, and V. V. Silberschmidt, “Experimental investigations of forces and torque in conventional and ultrasonically-assisted drilling of cortical bone,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 234–239, 2011.
- D. Vashishth, “Rising crack-growth-resistance behavior in cortical bone: implications for toughness measurements,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 943–946, 2004.
- J. Pujana, A. Rivero, A. Celaya, and L. N. López de Lacalle, “Analysis of ultrasonic-assisted drilling of Ti6Al4V,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 500–508, 2009.
- S. S. F. Chang and G. M. Bone, “Thrust force model for vibration-assisted drilling of aluminum 6061-T6,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 49, no. 14, pp. 1070–1076, 2009.
- U. Heisel, J. Wallaschek, R. Eisseler, and C. Potthast, “Ultrasonic deep hole drilling in electrolytic copper ECu 57,” CIRP Annals, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2008.
- X. Wang, L. J. Wang, and J. P. Tao, “Investigation on thrust in vibration drilling of fiber-reinforced plastics,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 239–244, 2004.
- B. Azarhoushang and J. Akbari, “Ultrasonic-assisted drilling of Inconel 738-LC,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 47, no. 7-8, pp. 1027–1033, 2007.
- A. Cardoni, A. MacBeath, and M. Lucas, “Methods for reducing cutting temperature in ultrasonic cutting of bone,” Ultrasonics, vol. 44, pp. e37–e42, 2006.
- S. Harder, S. Wolfart, C. Mehl, and M. Kern, “Performance of ultrasonic devices for bone surgery and associated intraosseous temperature development,” The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 484–490, 2009.