- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 851417, 8 pages
Fabrication of TiO2@Yeast-Carbon Hybrid Composites with the Raspberry-Like Structure and Their Synergistic Adsorption-Photocatalysis Performance
Environmental Science & Engineering College, Chang’an University, Xi’an 710054, China
Received 17 July 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Mengnan Qu
Copyright © 2013 Dang Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Wang, J. T. Yan, X. J. Cui, and H. Y. Wang, “Synthesis of raspberry-like monodisperse magnetic hollow hybrid nanospheres by coating polystyrene template with Fe3O4@SiO2 particles,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 354, no. 1, pp. 94–99, 2011.
- M. D'Acunzi, L. Mammen, M. Singh et al., “Superhydrophobic surfaces by hybrid raspberry-like particles,” Faraday Discussions, vol. 146, pp. 35–48, 2010.
- M. Agrawal, A. Pich, N. E. Zafeiropoulos et al., “Polystyrene-ZnO composite particles with controlled morphology,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1845–1852, 2007.
- X. W. Zhang, M. H. Zhou, and L. C. Lei, “Enhancing the concentration of TiO2 photocatalyst on the external surface of activated carbon by MOCVD,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 1899–1904, 2005.
- A. H. El-Sheikh, A. P. Newman, H. Al-Daffaee, S. Phull, N. Cresswell, and S. York, “Deposition of anatase on the surface of activated carbon,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 187, no. 2-3, pp. 284–292, 2004.
- Y. J. Li, X. D. Li, J. W. Li, and J. Yin, “Photocatalytic degradation of methyl orange by TiO2-coated activated carbon and kinetic study,” Water Research, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1119–1126, 2006.
- J. Pouilleau, D. Devilliers, F. Garrido, S. Durand-Vidal, and E. Mahé, “Structure and composition of passive titanium oxide films,” Materials Science and Engineering B, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 235–243, 1997.
- S. Karuppuchamy, K. Nonomura, T. Yoshida, T. Sugiura, and H. Minoura, “Cathodic electrodeposition of oxide semiconductor thin films and their application to dye-sensitized solar cells,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 151, no. 1–4, pp. 19–27, 2002.
- F.-D. Duminica, F. Maury, and F. Senocq, “Atmospheric pressure MOCVD of TiO2 thin films using various reactive gas mixtures,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 188-189, no. 1–3, pp. 255–259, 2004.
- C.-S. Kuo, Y.-H. Tseng, C.-H. Huang, and Y.-Y. Li, “Carbon-containing nano-titania prepared by chemical vapor deposition and its visible-light-responsive photocatalytic activity,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 270, no. 1-2, pp. 93–100, 2007.
- B.-Y. Jia, L.-Y. Duan, C.-L. Ma, and C.-M. Wang, “Characterization of TiO2 loaded on activated carbon fibers and its photocatalytic reactivity,” Chinese Journal of Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 553–557, 2007.
- G. J. Hu, X. F. Meng, X. Y. Feng, Y. F. Ding, S. M. Zhang, and M. S. Yang, “Anatase TiO2 nanoparticles/carbon nanotubes nanofibers: preparation, characterization and photocatalytic properties,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 42, no. 17, pp. 7162–7170, 2007.
- J.-H. Liu, R. Yang, and S.-M. Li, “Preparation and application of efficient TiO2/ACFs photocatalyst,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 979–982, 2006.
- N. Areerachakul, S. Vigneswaran, H. H. Ngo, and J. Kandasamy, “Granular activated carbon (GAC) adsorption-photocatalysis hybrid system in the removal of herbicide from water,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 206–211, 2007.
- M.-L. Chen, C.-S. Lim, and W.-C. Oh, “Preparation with different mixing ratios of anatase to activated carbon and their photocatalytic performance,” Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 119–124, 2007.
- A. K. Subramani, K. Byrappa, S. Ananda, K. M. Lokanatha Rai, C. Ranganathaiah, and M. Yoshimura, “Photocatalytic degradation of indigo carmine dye using TiO2 impregnated activated carbon,” Bulletin of Materials Science, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 2007.
- J. M. Dona, C. Garriga, J. Arana et al., “The effect of dosage on the photo-catalytic degradation of organic pollutants,” Research on Chemical Intermediates, vol. 33, pp. 351–358, 2007.
- G. Li Puma, A. Bono, and J. G. Collin, “Preparation of titanium dioxide photocatalyst loaded onto activated carbon support using chemical vapor deposition: a review paper,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 157, no. 2-3, pp. 209–219, 2008.
- R. Nacco and E. Aquarone, “Preparation of active carbon from yeast,” Carbon, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 31–34, 1978.
- Z. G. Guan, L. Liu, L. L. He, and S. Yang, “Amphiphilic hollow carbonaceous microspheres for the sorption of phenol from water,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 196, pp. 270–277, 2011.
- M. Chen, S. X. Zhou, B. You, and L. M. Wu, “A novel preparation method of raspberry-like PMMA/SiO2 hybrid microspheres,” Macromolecules, vol. 38, no. 15, pp. 6411–6417, 2005.
- W.-C. Oh, J.-G. Kim, H. Kim et al., “Synthesis of spherical carbons containing titania and their physicochemical and photochemical properties,” Journal of the Korean Ceramic Society, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2011.
- W. Z. Shen, Y. He, S. C. Zhang, J. F. Li, and W. B. Fan, “Yeast-based micro-porous carbon materials for carbon dioxide capture,” ChemSusChem, vol. 5, pp. 1274–1279, 2012.
- A. Pottier, S. Cassaignon, C. Chanéac, F. Villain, E. Tronc, and J.-P. Jolivet, “Size tailoring of TiO2 anatase nanoparticles in aqueous medium and synthesis of nanocomposites. Characterization by Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 877–882, 2003.
- H. Zhang and J. F. Banfield, “Understanding polymorphic phase transformation behavior during growth of nanocrystalline aggregates: insights from TiO2,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 15, pp. 3481–3487, 2000.
- M. Sevilla and A. B. Fuertes, “Chemical and structural properties of carbonaceous products obtained by hydrothermal carbonization of saccharides,” Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 4195–4203, 2009.
- M. B. Wu, “Advance of research in making actived carbon by chemical activation,” Carbon Techniques, vol. 4, no. 102, pp. 19–23.
- N. Baccile, G. Laurent, F. Babonneau, F. Fayon, M.-M. Titirici, and M. Antonietti, “Structural characterization of hydrothermal carbon spheres by advanced solid-state MAS 13C NMR investigations,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 113, no. 22, pp. 9644–9654, 2009.
- X.-Y. Deng, Z.-L. Cui, F.-L. Du, and C. Peng, “Thermal analysis characterization of nanosized TiO2,” Journal of Inorganic Materials, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1089–1093, 2001.
- R. Gnanasambandam and A. Proctor, “Determination of pectin degree of esterification by diffuse reflectance Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy,” Food Chemistry, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 327–332, 2000.
- S. D. Jacobsen, S. Demouchy, D. J. Frost, T. B. Ballaran, and J. Kung, “A systematic study of OH in hydrous wadsleyite from polarized FTIR spectroscopy and single-crystal X-ray diffraction: oxygen sites for hydrogen storage in Earth's interior,” American Mineralogist, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 61–70, 2005.
- P. C. Painter, R. W. Snyder, M. Starsinic, M. M. Coleman, D. W. Kuehn, and A. Davis, “Concerning the application of FT-IR to the study of coal: a critical assessment and band assignments and the application of spectral analysis programs,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 475–485, 1981.
- W. Jiang, J. Joens, D. D. Dionysiou, and K. E. O'Shea, “Optimization of photocatalytic performance of TiO2 coated glass microspheres using response surface methodology and the application for degradation of dimethyl phthalate,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 262, pp. 7–13, 2013.
- Y. F. Zhu, L. I. Zhang, C. Gao, and L. L. Cao, “The synthesis of nanosized TiO2 powder using a sol-gel method with TiCl4 as a precursor,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 35, no. 16, pp. 4049–4054, 2000.
- Y.-J. Li, Z.-J. Song, Z.-P. Li, Y.-Z. Ouyang, and W.-B. Yan, “Preparation and photocatalytic properties of activated carbon supported TiO2 nanoparticles with cu ions doping,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1710–1715, 2007.
- B. Bai, N. Quici, Z. Y. Li, and G. L. Puma, “Novel one step fabrication of raspberry-like TiO2@yeast hybrid microspheres via electrostatic-interaction-driven self-assembled heterocoagulation for environmental applications,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 170, no. 2-3, pp. 451–456, 2011.
- Y. Q. Gai, J. B. Li, S.-S. Li, J.-B. Xia, and S.-H. Wei, “Design of narrow-gap TiO2: a passivated codoping approach for enhanced photoelectrochemical activity,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 102, no. 3, Article ID 036402, 4 pages, 2009.
- M. Takeuchi, K. Sakamoto, G. Martra, S. Coluccia, and M. Anpo, “Mechanism of photoinduced superhydrophilicity on the TiO2 photocatalyst surface,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 32, pp. 15422–15428, 2005.
- J. Matos, A. Garcia, T. Cordero, J.-M. Chovelon, and C. Ferronato, “Eco-friendly TiO2-AC photocatalyst for the selective photooxidation of 4-chlorophenol,” Catalysis Letters, vol. 130, no. 3-4, pp. 568–574, 2009.
- Z. B. Zhang, C. C. Wang, R. Zakaria, and J. Y. Ying, “Role of particle size in nano-crystalline TiO2-based photo-catalysts,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 52, pp. 10871–10878, 1998.
- R. J. Umpleby II, S. C. Baxter, Y. Z. Chen, R. N. Shah, and K. D. Shimizu, “Characterization of molecularly imprinted polymers with the Langmuir—freundlich isotherm,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 73, no. 19, pp. 4584–4591, 2001.