- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 893970, 7 pages
Magnetic Properties and Biological Activity Evaluation of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles
1Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, 8 Eroii Sanitari, Sector 5, Bucharest, Romania
2Emergency Hospital Floreasca, Bucharest 5, Calea Floreasca Nr 8, Sector 1, Bucharest, Romania
3National Institute of Materials Physics, 105 bis Atomistilor, P.O. Box MG 07, 077125 Bucuresti-Magurele, Romania
4Faculty of Physics, University of Bucharest, 405 Atomistilor, CP MG-1, 077125 Magurele, Romania
5ISTO, Université d'Orléans, Orléans Cedex 02, 45067, France
6Microbiology Department, Faculty of Biology, University of Bucharest, Aleea Portocalelor 1-3, 60101 Bucharest, Romania
7Institute of Virology, Antiviral Therapy Department “Stefan S. Nicolau”, 285 Mihai Bravu, 030304 Bucharest, Romania
Received 14 March 2013; Revised 7 June 2013; Accepted 8 June 2013
Academic Editor: Anjan Barman
Copyright © 2013 Alina Mihaela Prodan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Nicoara, D. Fratiloiu, M. Nogues, J. L. Dormann, and F. Vasiliu, “Ni-Zn ferrite nanoparticles prepared by ball milling,” Materials Science Forum, vol. 235-238, no. 1, pp. 145–150, 1997.
- D. Prodan, C. Chanéac, E. Tronc et al., “Adsorption phenomena and magnetic properties of γ-Fe2O3 nanoparticles,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 203, no. 1-3, pp. 63–65, 1999.
- D. Prodan, V. V. Grecu, M. N. Grecu, E. Tronc, and J. P. Jolivet, “Electron spin resonance in γ-Fe2O3 nanoparticles dispersed in a polymer matrix,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. L41–L43, 1999.
- A. Figuerola, R. Di Corato, L. Manna, and T. Pellegrino, “From iron oxide nanoparticles towards advanced iron-based inorganic materials designed for biomedical applications,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 126–143, 2010.
- M. L. Yan, X. Z. Li, L. Gao et al., “Fabrication of nonepitaxially grown double-layered FePt:C/FeCoNi thin films for perpendicular recording,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 83, no. 16, pp. 3332–3334, 2003.
- D. Predoi, C. S. Ciobanu, M. Radu et al., “Hybrid dextran-iron oxide thin films deposited by laser techniques for biomedical applications,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 296–302, 2012.
- O. K. Tan, W. Zhu, Q. Yan, and L. B. Kong, “Size effect and gas sensing characteristics of nanocrystalline xSnO2-(1-x)α-Fe2O3 ethanol sensors,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 361–365, 2000.
- E. Andronescu, M. Costache, C. S. Ciobanu, A. M. Prodan, and D. Predoi, “Biocompatibility studies of iron-oxide-dextrin thin films,” Revista de Chimie, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 925–928, 2010.
- Y. Peng, C. Park, and D. E. Laughiin, “Fe3O4 thin films sputter deposited from iron oxide targets,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 7957–7959, 2003.
- C. S. Ciobanu, E. Andronescu, L. Pall, S. L. Iconaru, E. Gyorgy, and D. Predoi, “Physico-chemical properties of iron-oxide-dextnn thin films,” Revista de Chimie, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1207–1211, 2010.
- M. Bystrzejewski, A. Huczko, and H. Lange, “Arc plasma route to carbon-encapsulated magnetic nanoparticles for biomedical applications,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2005.
- Z. Sun, L. Wang, P. Liu et al., “Magnetically motive porous sphere composite and its excellent properties for the removal of pollutants in water by adsorption and desorption cycles,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 15, pp. 1968–1971, 2006.
- A. R. Jalilian, A. Panahifar, M. Mahmoudi, M. Akhlaghi, and A. Simchi, “Preparation and biological evaluation of [67Ga]-labeled-superparamagnetic nanoparticles in normal rats,” Radiochimica Acta, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 51–56, 2009.
- Y. Xiong, J. Ye, X. Gu, and Q. Chen, “Synthesis and magnetic properties of iron oxide nanoparticles/C and α-Fe/iron oxide nanoparticles/C composites,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 320, no. 3-4, pp. 107–112, 2008.
- M. P. Moralesa, O. Bomati-Miguela, R. Perez de Alejob, J. Ruiz-Cabellob, S. Veintemillas-Verdaguera, and K. O'Gradyc, “Contrast agents for MRI based on iron oxide nanoparticles prepared by laser pyrolysis,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 266, pp. 102–109, 2003.
- F. Furno, K. S. Morley, B. Wong et al., “Silver nanoparticles and polymeric medical devices: a new approach to prevention of infection?” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1019–1024, 2004.
- R. Massart, “Magnetic fluids and process for obtaining them,” US Patent 4329241, 1982.
- R. Massart, “Preparation of aqueous magnetic liquids in alkaline and acidic media,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 1247–1248, 1981.
- R. Massart, J. Roger, and V. Cabuil, “New trends in chemistry of magnetic colloids: polar and non polar magnetic fluids, emulsions, capsules and vesicles,” Brazilian Journal of Physics, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 1995.
- D. Predoi and C. M. Valsangiacom, “Thermal studies of magnetic spinel iron oxide in solution,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1797–1799, 2007.
- D. Zins, V. Cabuil, and R. Massart, “New aqueous magnetic fluids,” Journal of Molecular Liquids, vol. 83, no. 1-3, pp. 217–232, 1999.
- C. S. Ciobanu, S. L. Iconaru, E. Gyorgy et al., “Biomedical properties and preparation of iron oxide-dextran nanostructures by MAPLE technique,” Chemistry Central Journal, vol. 6, p. 17, 2012.
- A. M. Grumezescu, E. Andronescu, A. Ficai, C. Bleotu, and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Chitin based biomaterial for antimicrobial therapy: fabrication, characterzation and in vitro profile based intercation with eukaryotic and prokaeryotic cells,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, p. 446, 2012.
- A. M. Grumezescu, E. Andronescu, A. Ficai et al., “Magnetic nanofluid with antitumoral properties,” Letters in Applied NanoBioScience, vol. 1, p. 56, 2012.
- A. M. Grumezescu, A. Holban, E. Andronescu, A. Ficai, C. Bleotu, and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Microbiological applications of a new water dispersible magnetic nanobiocomposite,” Letters in Applied NanoBioScience, vol. 4, p. 83, 2012.
- C. Saviuc, A. M. Grumezescu, C. M. Chifiriuc et al., “Hybrid nanosystem for stabilizing essential oils in biomedical applications,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1657–1666, 2011.
- C. Saviuc, A. M. Grumezescu, A. Holban et al., “Phenotypical studies of raw and nanosystem embedded Eugenia carryophyllata buds essential oil antibacterial activity on Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus strains,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 111–118, 2011.
- C. Saviuc, I. Marinas, A. M. Grumezescu et al., “Phytochemical composition of the fennel fruits essential oil and its influnence on prokariotic cells growth and pathogenic features,” Biointerface Research in Applied Chemistry, vol. 2, p. 300, 2012.
- R. M. Cornell and U. Schertmann, Iron Oxides in the Laboratory: Preparation and Characterisation, VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 1991.
- K. V. P. M. Shafi, A. Gedanken, R. Prozorov, and J. Balogh, “Sonochemical preparation and size-dependent properties of nanostructured CoFe2O4 particles,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 3445–3450, 1998.
- R. Vijayakumar, Y. Koltypin, I. Felner, and A. Gedanken, “Sonochemical synthesis and characterization of pure nanometer-sized Fe3O4 particles,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 286, no. 1, pp. 101–105, 2000.
- E. du Tremolet deLacheisserie, D. Gignoux, and M. Schlenker, Magnetism: Materialsandapplications, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- D. H. Han, J. P. Wang, and H. L. Luo, “Crystallite size effect on saturation magnetization of fine ferrimagnetic particles,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 136, no. 1-2, pp. 176–182, 1994.
- R. Hergt, W. Andrae, C. G. d'Ambly et al., “Physical limits of hyperthermia using magnetite fine particles,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 3745–3754, 1998.
- V. Lazǎr and M. C. Chifiriuc, “Medical significance and new therapeutical strategies for biofilm associated infections,” Roumanian Archives of Microbiology & Immunology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 125–138, 2010.
- E. Taylor and T. J. Webster, “Reducing infections through nanotechnology and nanoparticles,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 1463–1473, 2011.
- T. Gordon, B. Perlstein, O. Houbara, I. Felner, E. Banin, and S. Margel, “Synthesis and characterization of zinc/iron oxide composite nanoparticles and their antibacterial properties,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 374, no. 1-3, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- S. Nath, C. Kaittanis, V. Ramachandran, N. S. Dalal, and J. M. Perez, “Synthesis, magnetic characterization, and sensing applications of novel dextran-coated iron oxide nanorods,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1761–1767, 2009.
- M. Singh, S. Singh, S. Prasad, and I. S. Gambhir, “Nanotechnology in medicine and antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 3, pp. 115–122, 2008.
- A. Azam, A. S. Ahmed, M. Oves, M. S. Khan, S. S. Habib, and A. Memic, “Antimicrobial activity of metal oxide nanoparticles against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria: a comparative study,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 7, pp. 6003–6009, 2012.
- S. A. Mahdy, Q. J. Raheed, and P. T. Kalaichelvan, “Antimicrobial activity of zero-valent iron nanoparticles,” International Journal of Modern Engineering Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 578–581, 2012.
- A. K. Horst, “Antimicrobial effects of metal oxide nanoparticles,” The NNIN REU Research Accomplishmnents Biological Applicantions, 2009.
- C. Chifiriuc, V. Lazǎr, C. Bleotu et al., “Bacterial adherence to the cellular and inert substrate in the presence of CoFe2O4 and Fe3O4/oleic acid-core/shell,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2011.