- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 915461, 12 pages
Influences of Stacking Architectures of TiO2 Nanoparticle Layers on Characteristics of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
1Department of Opto-Electronic Engineering, National Dong Hwa University, Hualien 97401, Taiwan
2Department of Electrical Engineering, Graduate Institute of Photonics and Optoelectronics, Graduate Institute of Electronics Engineering, and Innovative Photonics Advanced Research Center (i-PARC), National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
3AU Optronics Corporation, Hsinchu 30078, Taiwan
Received 3 January 2013; Revised 17 March 2013; Accepted 25 March 2013
Academic Editor: Marinella Striccoli
Copyright © 2013 Chih-Hung Tsai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, R. Humphry-Baker, P. Liska, and M. Grätzel, “Investigation of sensitizer adsorption and the influence of protons on current and voltage of a dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cell,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 34, pp. 8981–8987, 2003.
- C. Y. Chen, M. Wang, J. Y. Li et al., “Highly efficient light-harvesting ruthenium sensitizer for thin-film dye-sensitized solar cells,” ACS Nano, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 3103–3109, 2009.
- J. Jiu, S. Isoda, F. Wang, and M. Adachi, “Dye-sensitized solar cells based on a single-crystalline TiO2 nanorod film,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 2087–2092, 2006.
- A. Hagfeldt and M. Grätzel, “Molecular photovoltaics,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 269–277, 2000.
- A. Hagfeld and M. Grätzel, “Light-induced redox reactions in nanocrystalline systems,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 49–68, 1995.
- M. Grätzel, “Photoelectrochemical cells,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6861, pp. 338–344, 2001.
- Y. Chiba, A. Islam, Y. Watanabe, R. Komiya, N. Koide, and L. Han, “Dye-sensitized solar cells with conversion efficiency of 11.1%,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 45, no. 24–28, pp. L638–L640, 2006.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, S. M. Zakeeruddin, R. Humphry-Baker et al., “Acid-base equilibria of (2,-bipyridyl-4,-dicarboxylic acid)ruthenium(II) complexes and the effect of protonation on charge-transfer sensitization of nanocrystalline titania,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 26, pp. 6298–6305, 1999.
- T. Bessho, S. M. Zakeeruddin, C. Y. Yeh, E. W. G. Diau, and M. Grätzel, “Highly efficient mesoscopic dye-sensitized solar cells based on donor-acceptor-substituted porphyrins,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 49, no. 37, pp. 6646–6649, 2010.
- Q. Wang, S. Ito, M. Grätzel et al., “Characteristics of high efficiency dye-sensitized solar cells,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 50, pp. 25210–25221, 2006.
- R. Memming and H. Tributsch, “Electrochemical investigations on the spectral sensitization of gallium phosphide electrodes,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 562–570, 1971.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- G. S. Kim, H. K. Seo, V. P. Godble, Y. S. Kim, O. B. Yang, and H. S. Shin, “Electrophoretic deposition of titanate nanotubes from commercial titania nanoparticles: application to dye-sensitized solar cells,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 961–966, 2006.
- P. Wang, S. M. Zakeeruddin, J. E. Moser et al., “Stable new sensitizer with improved light harvesting for nanocrystalline dye-sensitized solar cells,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 20, pp. 1806–1811, 2004.
- S. Uchida, R. Chiba, M. Tomiha, N. Masaki, and M. Shirai, “Application of titania nanotubes to a dye-sensitized solar cell,” Electrochemistry, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 418–420, 2002.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, P. Péchy, and M. Grätzel, “Efficient panchromatic sensitization of nanocrystalline TiO2 films by a black dye based on a trithiocyanato-ruthenium complex,” Chemical Communications, no. 18, pp. 1705–1706, 1997.
- H. Y. Yang, Y. S. Yen, Y. C. Hsu, H. H. Chou, and J. T. Lin, “Organic dyes incorporating the dithieno[3,2-b:,-d]thiophene moiety for efficient dye-sensitized solar cells,” Organic Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 2010.
- R. W. Siegel, S. Ramasamy, H. Hahn, Z. Li, T. Lu, and R. Gronsky, “Synthesis, characterization, and properties of nanophase TiO2,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1367–1372, 1988.
- J. W. Shiu, C. M. Lan, Y. C. Chang, H. P. Wu, W. K. Huang, and E. W. G. Diau, “Size-controlled anatase titania single crystals with octahedron-like morphology for dye-sensitized solar cells,” ACS Nano, vol. 6, pp. 10862–10873, 2012.
- J. Song, H. B. Yang, X. Wang et al., “Improved utilization of photogenerated charge using fluorine-doped TiO2 hollow spheres scattering layer in dye-sensitized solar cells,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 4, pp. 3712–3717, 2012.
- T. Yamaguchi, N. Tobe, D. Matsumoto, and H. Arakawa, “Highly efficient plastic substrate dye-sensitized solar cells using a compression method for preparation of TiO2 photoelectrodes,” Chemical Communications, no. 45, pp. 4767–4769, 2007.
- T. N. Murakami, S. Ito, Q. Wang et al., “Highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cells based on carbon black counter electrodes,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 153, no. 12, pp. A2255–A2261, 2006.
- M. Yanagida, N. Onozawa-Komatsuzaki, M. Kurashige, K. Sayama, and H. Sugihara, “Optimization of tandem-structured dye-sensitized solar cell,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 297–302, 2010.
- P. Wang, C. Klein, R. Humphry-Baker, S. M. Zakeeruddin, and M. Grätzel, “A high molar extinction coefficient sensitizer for stable dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 808–809, 2005.
- D. Kuang, P. Wang, S. Ito, S. M. Zakeeruddin, and M. Grätzel, “Stable mesoscopic dye-sensitized solar cells based on tetracyanoborate ionic liquid electrolyte,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 128, no. 24, pp. 7732–7733, 2006.
- N. G. Park, J. van de Lagemaat, and A. J. Frank, “Comparison of dye-sensitized rutile- and anatase-based TiO2 solar cells,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 38, pp. 8989–8994, 2000.
- H. Tsubomura, M. Matsumura, Y. Nomura, and T. Amamiya, “Dye sensitised Zinc oxide: aqueous electrolyte: platinum photocell,” Nature, vol. 261, no. 5559, pp. 402–403, 1976.
- Z. S. Wang, H. Kawauchi, T. Kashima, and H. Arakawa, “Significant influence of TiO2 photoelectrode morphology on the energy conversion efficiency of N719 dye-sensitized solar cell,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 248, no. 13-14, pp. 1381–1389, 2004.
- J. H. Yoon, S. R. Jang, R. Vittal, J. Lee, and K. J. Kim, “TiO2 nanorods as additive to TiO2 film for improvement in the performance of dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 180, no. 1-2, pp. 184–188, 2006.
- B. Tan and Y. Wu, “Dye-sensitized solar cells based on anatase TiO2 nanoparticle/nanowire composites,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 32, pp. 15932–15938, 2006.
- J. Krč, M. Zeman, F. Smole, and M. Topič, “Optical modeling of a-Si:H solar cells deposited on textured glass/SnO2 substrates,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 92, no. 2, p. 749, 2002.
- M. K. Nazeeruddin, F. De Angelis, S. Fantacci et al., “Combined experimental and DFT-TDDFT computational study of photoelectrochemical cell ruthenium sensitizers,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 48, pp. 16835–16847, 2005.
- S. Ito, N. L. C. Ha, G. Rothenberger et al., “High-efficiency (7.2%) flexible dye-sensitized solar cells with Ti-metal substrate for nanocrystalline-TiO2 photoanode,” Chemical Communications, no. 38, pp. 4004–4006, 2006.
- M. Grätzel, “Perspectives for dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells,” Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 171–185, 2000.
- N. Vlachopoulos, P. Liska, J. Augustynski, and M. Grätzel, “Very efficient visible light energy harvesting and conversion by spectral sensitization of high surface area polycrystalline titanium dioxide films,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1216–1220, 1988.
- H. W. Lin, S. Y. Ku, H. C. Su et al., “Highly efficient visible-blind organic ultraviolet photodetectors,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 2489–2493, 2005.
- C. J. Yang, T. Y. Cho, C. L. Lin, and C. C. Wu, “Energy-recycling high-contrast organic light-emitting devices,” Journal of the Society for Information Display, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 691–694, 2008.
- C. J. Lin, W. Y. Yu, and S. H. Chien, “Effect of anodic TiO2 powder as additive on electron transport properties in nanocrystalline TiO2 dye-sensitized solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, no. 23, Article ID 233120, 2007.
- M. Adachi, M. Sakamoto, J. Jiu, Y. Ogata, and S. Isoda, “Determination of parameters of electron transport in dye-sensitized solar cells using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 28, pp. 13872–13880, 2006.
- C. C. Chen, B. C. Huang, M. S. Lin et al., “Impedance spectroscopy and equivalent circuits of conductively doped organic hole-transport materials,” Organic Electronics, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1901–1908, 2010.
- L. Y. Lin, C. H. Tsai, K. T. Wong et al., “Organic dyes containing coplanar diphenyl-substituted dithienosilole core for efficient dye-sensitized solar cells,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 75, no. 14, pp. 4778–4785, 2010.
- M. Miyashita, K. Sunahara, T. Nishikawa et al., “Interfacial electron-transfer kinetics in metal-free organic dye-sensitized solar cells: combined effects of molecular structure of dyes and electrolytes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 130, no. 52, pp. 17874–17881, 2008.
- L. Y. Lin, C. H. Tsai, K. T. Wong et al., “Efficient organic DSSC sensitizers bearing an electron-deficient pyrimidine as an effective π-spacer,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 16, pp. 5950–5958, 2011.
- J. Bisquert, G. Garcia-Belmonte, F. Fabregat-Santiago, N. S. Ferriols, P. Bogdanoff, and E. C. Pereira, “Doubling Exponent Models for the Analysis of Porous Film Electrodes by Impedance. Relaxation of TiO2 Nanoporous in Aqueous Solution,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 2287–2298, 2000.
- F. Fabregat-Santiago, J. Bisquert, E. Palomares et al., “Correlation between photovoltaic performance and impedance spectroscopy of dye-sensitized solar cells based on ionic liquids,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 17, pp. 6550–6560, 2007.
- Q. Wang, J. E. Moser, and M. Grätzel, “Electrochemical impedance spectroscopic analysis of dye-sensitized solar cells,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 31, pp. 14945–14953, 2005.
- A. Hauch and A. Georg, “Diffusion in the electrolyte and charge-transfer reaction at the platinum electrode in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 46, no. 22, pp. 3457–3466, 2001.
- J. R. Macdonald, “Impedance spectroscopy,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 289–305, 1992.
- A. Georg, W. Graf, R. Neumann, and V. Wittwer, “Mechanism of the gasochromic coloration of porous WO3 films,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 319–328, 2000.
- J. D. Roy-Mayhew, D. J. Bozym, C. Punckt, and I. A. Aksay, “Functionalized graphene as a catalytic counter electrode in dye-sensitized solar cells,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 6203–6211, 2010.
- S. Kim, D. Kim, H. Choi et al., “Enhanced photovoltaic performance and long-term stability of quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells via molecular engineering,” Chemical Communications, no. 40, pp. 4951–4953, 2008.
- N. Kopidakis, N. R. Neale, K. Zhu, J. van de Lagemaat, and A. J. Frank, “Spatial location of transport-limiting traps in TiO2 nanoparticle films in dye-sensitized solar cells,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 87, no. 20, Article ID 202106, 3 pages, 2005.