- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 940389, 8 pages
Graphene-Based Composites as Cathode Materials for Lithium Ion Batteries
1State Key Laboratory for Powder Metallurgy, Central South University, Changsha 410083, China
2Key Laboratory for Micro-Nano Optoelectronic Devices of Ministry of Education and State Key Laboratory for Chemo/Biosensing and Chemometrics, Hunan University, Changsha 410082, China
Received 30 January 2013; Accepted 27 March 2013
Academic Editor: Yongzhu Fu
Copyright © 2013 Libao Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Geim and K. S. Novoselov, “The rise of graphene,” Nature Materials, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 183–191, 2007.
- K. S. Novoselov, A. K. Geim, S. V. Morozov et al., “Electric field in atomically thin carbon films,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5696, pp. 666–669, 2004.
- I. Meric, M. Y. Han, A. F. Young, B. Ozyilmaz, P. Kim, and K. L. Shepard, “Current saturation in zero-bandgap, top-gated graphene field-effect transistors,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 654–659, 2008.
- Y. M. Lin, K. A. Jenkins, V. G. Alberto, J. P. Small, D. B. Farmer, and P. Avouris, “Operation of graphene transistors at giqahertz frequencies,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 422–426, 2009.
- Y. M. Lin, C. Dimitrakopoulos, K. A. Jenkins et al., “100-GHz transistors from wafer-scale epitaxial graphene,” Science, vol. 327, no. 5966, p. 662, 2010.
- Y. Dan, Y. Lu, N. J. Kybert, Z. Luo, and A. T. C. Johnson, “Intrinsic response of graphene vapor sensors,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1472–1475, 2009.
- G. Lu, L. E. Ocola, and J. Chen, “Reduced graphene oxide for room-temperature gas sensors,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 22, Article ID 445502, 2009.
- S. Guo and S. Dong, “Graphene nanosheet: synthesis, molecular engineering, thin film, hybrids, and energy and analytical applications,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 40, pp. 2644–2672, 2011.
- N. G. Shang, P. Papakonstantinou, M. McMullan et al., “Catalyst-free efficient growth, orientation and biosensing properties of multilayer graphene nanoflake films with sharp edge planes,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 3506–3514, 2008.
- C. Liu, Z. Yu, D. Neff, A. Zhamu, and B. Z. Jang, “Graphene-based supercapacitor with an ultrahigh energy density,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 4863–4868, 2010.
- E. J. Yoo, J. Kim, E. Hosono, H. S. Zhou, T. Kudo, and I. Honma, “Large reversible Li storage of graphene nanosheet families for use in rechargeable lithium ion batteries,” Nano Letters, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 2277–2282, 2008.
- S. M. Paek, E. Yoo, and I. Honma, “Enhanced cyclic performance and lithium storage capacity of SnO2/graphene nanoporous electrodes with three-dimensionally delaminated flexible structure,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 72–75, 2009.
- M. Zhang, D. Lei, X. Yin et al., “Magnetite/graphene composites: microwave irradiation synthesis and enhanced cycling and rate performances for lithium ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 26, pp. 5538–5543, 2010.
- Z. S. Wu, W. Ren, L. Wen et al., “Graphene anchored with Co3O4 nanoparticles as anode of lithium ion batteries with enhanced reversible capacity and cyclic performance,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 3187–3194, 2010.
- Y. J. Mai, D. Zhang, Y. Q. Qiao, C. D. Gu, X. L. Wang, and J. P. Tu, “MnO/reduced graphene oxide sheet hybrid as an anode for Li-ion batteries with enhanced lithium storage performance,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 216, pp. 201–207, 2012.
- Y. Wang, Y. Wang, E. Hosono, K. Wang, and H. Zhou, “The design of a LiFePO4/carbon nanocomposite with a core-shell structure and its synthesis by an in situ polymerization restriction method,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 47, no. 39, pp. 7461–7465, 2008.
- Y. Ding, Y. Jiang, F. Xu et al., “Preparation of nano-structured LiFePO4/graphene composites by co-precipitation method,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 10–13, 2010.
- F. Y. Su, C. You, Y. B. He et al., “Flexible and planar graphene conductive additives for lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 20, pp. 9644–9650, 2010.
- L. Wang, H. Wang, Z. Liu et al., “A facile method of preparing mixed conducting LiFePO4/graphene composites for lithium-ion batteries,” Solid State Ionics, vol. 181, no. 37-38, pp. 1685–1689, 2010.
- Y. Wang, Z. S. Feng, J. J. Chen, and C. Zhang, “Synthesis and electrochemical performance of LiFePO4/graphene composites by solid-state reaction,” Materials Letters, vol. 71, pp. 54–56, 2012.
- J. Yang, J. Wang, D. Wang et al., “3D porous LiFePO4/graphene hybrid cathodes with enhanced performance for Li-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 208, pp. 340–344, 2012.
- Y. Tang, F. Huang, H. Bi, Z. Liu, and D. Wan, “Highly conductive three-dimensional graphene for enhancing the rate performance of LiFePO4 cathode,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 203, pp. 130–134, 2012.
- X. Zhou, F. Wang, Y. Zhu, and Z. Liu, “Graphene modified LiFePO4 cathode materials for high power lithium ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, pp. 3353–3358, 2011.
- J. Z. Wang, L. Lu, M. Choucair, J. A. Stride, X. Xu, and H. K. Liu, “Sulfur-graphene composite for rechargeable lithium batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 196, no. 16, pp. 7030–7034, 2011.
- Y. Cao, X. Li, I. A. Aksay et al., “Sandwich-type functionalized graphene sheet-sulfur nanocomposite for rechargeable lithium batteries,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 13, no. 17, pp. 7660–7665, 2011.
- H. Wang, Y. Yang, Y. Liang et al., “Graphene-wrapped sulfur particles as a rechargeable lithium-sulfur battery cathode material with high capacity and cycling stability,” Nano Letters, vol. 11, pp. 2644–2647, 2011.
- F. Zhang, X. Zhang, Y. Dong, and L. Wang, “Facile and effective synthesis of reduced graphene oxide encapsulated sulfur via oil/water system for high performance lithium sulfur cells,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 11452–11454, 2012.
- L. Ji, M. Rao, H. Zheng et al., “Graphene oxide as a sulfur immobilizer in high performance lithium/sulfur cells,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 133, pp. 18522–18525, 2011.
- N. Li, M. Zheng, H. Lu et al., “High-rate lithium-sulfur batteries promoted by reduced graphene oxide coating,” Chemical Communications, vol. 48, pp. 4106–4108, 2012.
- M. S. Park, J. S. Yu, K. J. Kim et al., “One-step synthesis of a sulfur-impregnated graphene cathode for lithium-sulfur batteries,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 14, pp. 6796–6804, 2012.
- B. Ding, C. Yuang, L. Shen et al., “Chemically tailoring the nanostructure of graphene nanosheets to confine sulfur for high-performance lithium-sulfur batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol. 1, pp. 1096–1101, 2013.
- Y. X. Wang, L. Huang, L. C. Sun et al., “Facile synthesis of a interleaved expanded graphite-embedded sulphur nanocomposite as cathode of Li-S batteries with excellent lithium storage performance,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 4744–4750, 2012.
- L. Yin, J. Wang, F. Lin, J. Yang, and Y. Nuli, “Polyacrylonitrile/graphene composite as a precursor to a sulfur-based cathode material for high-rate rechargeable Li-S batteries,” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 5, pp. 6966–6972, 2012.
- B. Wang, K. Li, D. Su, H. Ahn, and G. Wang, “Superior electrochemical performance of sulfur/graphene nanocomposite material for high-capacity lithium-sulfur batteries,” Chemistry, vol. 7, pp. 1637–1643, 2012.
- J. Q. Huang, X. F. Liu, Q. Zhang et al., “Entrapment of sulfur in hierarchical porous graphene for lithium-sulfur batteries with high rate performance from −40 to 60°C,” Nano Energy, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 314–321, 2013.
- C. Su, X. Bu, L. Xu, J. Liu, and C. Zhang, “A novel LiFePO4/graphene/carbon composite as a performance-improved cathode material for lithium-ion batteries,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 64, pp. 190–195, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, W. Wang, P. Li, Y. Fu, and X. Ma, “A simple solvothermal route to synthesize graphene-modified LiFePO4 cathode for high power lithium ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 210, pp. 47–53, 2012.
- O. Toprakci, H. A. K. Toprakci, L. Ji, Z. Lin, R. Gu, and X. J. Zhang, “LiFePO4 nanoparticles encapsulated in graphene-containing carbon nanofibers for use as energy storage materials,” Renewable Sustainable Energy, vol. 4, Article ID 013121, 10 pages, 2012.
- Y. Shi, S. L. Chou, J. Z. Wang et al., “Graphene wrapped LiFePO4/C composites as cathode materials for Li-ion batteries with enhanced rate capability,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 32, pp. 16465–16470, 2012.
- H. Bi, F. Huang, Y. Tang et al., “Study of LiFePO4 cathode modified by graphene sheets for high-performance lithium ion batteries,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 88, pp. 414–420, 2013.
- H. Kim, S. W. Kim, J. Hong et al., “Graphene-based hybrid electrode material for high-power lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 158, pp. A930–A935, 2011.
- Y. Yin, Y. Hu, P. Wu, H. Zhang, and C. Cai, “A graphene-amorphous FePO4 hollow nanosphere hybrid as a cathode material for lithium ion batteries,” Chemical Communications, vol. 48, no. 15, pp. 2137–2139, 2012.
- M. M. Ren, Z. Zhou, X. P. Gao, W. X. Peng, and J. P. Wei, “Core−shell Li3V2(PO4)3@C composites as cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, pp. 5689–5693, 2008.
- H. Liu, P. Gao, J. Fang, and G. Yang, “Li3V2(PO4)3/graphene nanocomposites as cathode material for lithium ion batteries,” Chemical Communications, vol. 47, no. 32, pp. 9110–9112, 2011.
- H. Liu, G. Yang, X. Zhang et al., “Kinetics of conventional carbon coated-Li3V2(PO4)3 and nanocomposite Li3V2(PO4)3/graphene as cathode materials for lithium ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 11039–11047, 2012.
- Y. Jiang, W. Xu, D. Chen et al., “Graphene modified Li3V2(PO4)3 as a high-performance cathode material for lithium ion batteries,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 85, pp. 377–383, 2012.
- L. Zhang, S. Wang, D. Cai et al., “Li3V2(PO4)3@C/graphene composite with improved cycling performance as cathode material for lithium-ion batteries,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 91, pp. 108–113, 2013.
- G. R. Gardiner and M. S. Islam, “Anti-site defects and ion migration in the LiFe0.5Mn0.5PO4 mixed-metal cathode material,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1242–1248, 2010.
- H. Wang, Y. Yang, Y. Liang et al., “LiMn1-xFexPO4 nanorods grown on graphene sheets for ultrahigh-rate-performance lithium ion batteries,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 50, no. 32, pp. 7364–7368, 2011.
- J. Zhou, J. Wang, L. Zuin et al., “Spectroscopic understanding of ultra-high rate performance for LiMn0.75Fe0.25PO4 nanorods-graphene hybrid in lithium ion battery,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 14, pp. 9578–9581, 2012.
- V. Manev, B. Banov, A. Momchilov, and A. Nassalevska, “LiMn2O4 for 4 V lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 57, no. 1-2, pp. 99–103, 1995.
- S. M. Bak, K. W. Nam, C. W. Lee et al., “Spinel LiMn2O4/reduced graphene oxide hybrid for high rate lithium ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, pp. 17309–17315, 2011.
- X. Zhao, C. M. Hayner, and H. H. Hung, “Self-assembled lithium manganese oxide nanoparticles on carbon nanotube or graphene as high-performance cathode material for lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, pp. 17297–17303, 2011.
- H. S. Kim, S. I. Kim, and W. S. Kim, “A study on electrochemical characteristics of LiCoO2/LiNi1/3Mn1/3Co1/3O2 mixed cathode for Li secondary battery,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, pp. 1457–1461, 2006.
- K. C. Jiang, S. Xin, J. S. Lee, J. Kim, X. L. Xiao, and Y. G. Guo, “Improved kinetics of LiNi1/3Mn1/3Co1/3O2 cathode material through reduced graphene oxide networks,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 14, pp. 2934–2939, 2012.
- C. V. Rao, A. L. M. Reddy, Y. Ishikawa, and P. M. Ajayan, “LiNi1/3Co1/3Mn1/3O2-graphene composite as a promising cathode for lithium-ion batteries,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 3, pp. 2966–2972, 2011.
- S. Yoon, K. N. Jung, S. H. Yeon, C. S. Jin, and K. H. Shin, “Electrochemical properties of LiNi0.8Co0.15Al0.05O2-graphene composite as cathode materialsfor lithium-ion batteries,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 683, pp. 88–93, 2012.
- X. Ji, K. T. Lee, and L. F. Nazar, “A highly ordered nanostructured carbon-sulphur cathode for lithium-sulphur batteries,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, pp. 500–506, 2009.
- D. Yu, C. Chen, S. Xie et al., “Mesoporous vanadium pentoxide nanofibers with significantly enhanced Li-ion storage properties by electrospinning,” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 4, pp. 858–861, 2011.
- H. Liu and W. Yang, “Ultralong single crystalline V2O5 nanowire/graphene composite fabricated by a facile green approach and its lithium storage behavior,” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 4, pp. 4000–4008, 2011.
- G. Du, K. H. Seng, Z. Guo et al., “Graphene-V2O5·nH2O xerogel composite cathodes for lithium ion batteries,” RSC Advances, vol. 1, pp. 690–697, 2011.
- C. Nethravathi, B. Viswanath, J. Michael, and M. Rajamath, “Hydrothermal synthesis of a monoclinic VO2 nanotube-graphene hybrid for use as cathode material in lithium ion batteries,” Carbon, vol. 50, pp. 4839–4846, 2012.
- Z. L. Wang, D. Xu, Y. Huang, Z. Wu, L. M. Wang, and X. B. Zhang, “Facile, mild and fast thermal-decomposition reduction of graphene oxide in air and its application in high-performance lithium batteries,” Chemical Communications, vol. 48, pp. 976–978, 2012.
- X. Rui, J. Zhu, D. Sim et al., “Reduced graphene oxide supported highly porous V2O5 spheres as a high-power cathode material for lithium ion batteries,” Nanoscale, vol. 3, pp. 4752–4758, 2011.
- J. W. Lee, S. Y. Lim, H. M. Jeong, T. H. Hwang, and J. K. Kang, “Extremely stable cycling of ultra-thin V2O5 nanowire-graphene electrodes for lithium rechargeable battery cathodes,” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 5, pp. 9889–9894, 2012.
- J. Li, Y. Zhao, N. Wang, Y. Ding, and L. Guan, “Enhanced performance of a MnO2-graphene sheet cathode for lithium ion batteries using sodium alginate as a binder,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 13002–13004, 2012.
- P. Meduri, H. Chen, X. Chen et al., “Hybrid CFx-Ag2V4O11 as a high-energy, power density cathode for application in an underwater acoustic microtransmitter,” ElectroChemical Communications, vol. 13, pp. 1344–1348, 2011.
- X. Zhao, C. M. Hayner, M. C. Kung, and K. Kung, “Photothermal-assisted fabrication of iron fluoride-graphene composite paper cathodes for high-energy lithium-ion batteries,” Chemical Communications, vol. 48, pp. 9909–9911, 2012.
- R. Ma, Y. Dong, L. Xi, S. Yang, Z. Lu, and C. Chung, “Fabrication of LiF/Fe/Graphene nanocomposites as cathode material for lithium-ion batteries,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 892–897, 2013.