- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 958172, 8 pages
In Vitro Biocompatibility of Electrospun Chitosan/Collagen Scaffold
1Yueyang Hospital of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine,
Shanghai 200437, China
2Clinical Institute of Integrative Chinese and Western Medicine, Shanghai Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200437, China
3Department of Textile and Chemical Engineering, Changzhou Textile Garment Institute, Changzhou 213164, China
Received 14 June 2013; Revised 31 July 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: Xiaoming Li
Copyright © 2013 Peiwei Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. L. Roger, A. S. Go, D. M. Lloyd-Jones, et al., “Heart disease and stroke statistics-2012 update: a report from the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. e2–e220, 2012.
- L. G. Griffith and G. Naughton, “Tissue engineering—current challenges and expanding opportunities,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5557, pp. 1009–1014, 2002.
- B. C. Isenberg, C. Williams, and R. T. Tranquillo, “Small-diameter artificial arteries engineered in vitro,” Circulation Research, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2006.
- X. Wang, P. Lin, Q. Yao, and C. Chen, “Development of small-diameter vascular grafts,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 682–689, 2007.
- H. Kurobe, M. W. Maxfield, C. K. Breuer, and T. Shinoka, “Concise review: tissue-engineered vascular grafts for cardiac surgery: past, present, and future,” Stem Cells Translational Medicine, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 566–571, 2012.
- X. Li, H. Liu, X. Niu et al., “The use of carbon nanotubes to induce osteogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived MSCs in vitro and ectopic bone formation in vivo,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 4818–4827, 2012.
- Z. Ma, Z. Mao, and C. Gao, “Surface modification and property analysis of biomedical polymers used for tissue engineering,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 137–157, 2007.
- E. Khor and L. Y. Lim, “Implantable applications of chitin and chitosan,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 2339–2349, 2003.
- W. W. Thein-Han, Y. Kitiyanant, and R. D. K. Misra, “Chitosan as scaffold matrix for tissue engineering,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1062–1075, 2008.
- A. Sarasam and S. V. Madihally, “Characterization of chitosan-polycaprolactone blends for tissue engineering applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 5500–5508, 2005.
- J. A. Matthews, G. E. Wnek, D. G. Simpson, and G. L. Bowlin, “Electrospinning of collagen nanofibers,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 232–238, 2002.
- J. Glowacki and S. Mizuno, “Collagen scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Biopolymers, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 338–344, 2008.
- W. Tan, R. Krishnaraj, and T. A. Desai, “Evaluation of nanostructured composite collagen—chitosan matrices for tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 203–210, 2001.
- X. M. Li, Y. Yang, Y. B. Fan, et al., “Biocomposites reinforced by fibers or tubes as scaffolds for tissue engineering or regenerative medicine,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2013.
- N. Bhardwaj and S. C. Kundu, “Electrospinning: a fascinating fiber fabrication technique,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 325–347, 2010.
- Z. G. Chen, P. W. Wang, B. Wei, X. M. Mo, and F. Z. Cui, “Electrospun collagen-chitosan nanofiber: a biomimetic extracellular matrix for endothelial cell and smooth muscle cell,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 372–382, 2010.
- X. M. Li, L. Wang, Y. B. Fan, Q. L. Feng, and F. Z. Cui, “Biocompatibility and toxicity of nanoparticles and nanotubes,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 548389, 19 pages, 2012.
- G. Zund, Q. Ye, S. P. Hoerstrup et al., “Tissue engineering in cardiovascular surgery: MTT, a rapid and reliable quantitative method to assess the optimal human cell seeding on polymeric meshes,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 519–524, 1999.
- L. Ma, C. Gao, Z. Mao et al., “Collagen/chitosan porous scaffolds with improved biostability for skin tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 26, pp. 4833–4841, 2003.
- Y. Huang, M. Siewe, and S. V. Madihally, “Effect of spatial architecture on cellular colonization,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 64–75, 2006.
- B. G. Keselowsky, D. M. Collard, and A. J. García, “Surface chemistry modulates focal adhesion composition and signaling through changes in integrin binding,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 28, pp. 5947–5954, 2004.
- X. Li, H. Gao, M. Uo et al., “Maturation of osteoblast-like SaoS2 induced by carbon nanotubes,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 4, no. 1, Article ID 015005, 2009.
- X. M. Li, L. Wang, Y. B. Fan, et al., “Nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 2424–2435, 2013.
- X. Li, H. Gao, M. Uo et al., “Effect of carbon nanotubes on cellular functions in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 132–139, 2009.
- D. Bouïs, G. A. P. Hospers, C. Meijer, G. Molema, and N. H. Mulder, “Endothelium in vitro: a review of human vascular endothelial cell lines for blood vessel-related research,” Angiogenesis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 91–102, 2001.
- S. Meng, Z. Liu, L. Shen et al., “The effect of a layer-by-layer chitosan-heparin coating on the endothelialization and coagulation properties of a coronary stent system,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2276–2283, 2009.
- X. Li, Y. Fan, and F. Watari, “Current investigations into carbon nanotubes for biomedical application,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 5, no. 2, Article ID 022001, 2010.