- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 962026, 8 pages
Polymer-Assisted Hydrothermal Synthesis of Hierarchically Arranged Hydroxyapatite Nanoceramic
Department of Nano, Medical and Polymer Materials, College of Engineering, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan 712749, Republic of Korea
Received 3 May 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Eng San Thian
Copyright © 2013 A. Joseph Nathanael et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. T. Ng, J. Li, M. K. Smith et al., “Growth of epitaxial nanowires at the junctions of nanowalls,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5623, p. 1249, 2003.
- C. Burda, X. Chen, R. Narayanan, and M. A. El-Sayed, “Chemistry and properties of nanocrystals of different shapes,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 1025–1102, 2005.
- J. Yang, C. Li, X. Zhang et al., “Self-assembled 3D architectures of LuBO3:Eu3+: phase-selective synthesis, growth mechanism, and tunable luminescent properties,” Chemistry: A European Journal, vol. 14, no. 14, pp. 4336–4345, 2008.
- A. Chen, X. Peng, K. Koczkur, and B. Miller, “Super-hydrophobic tin oxide nanoflowers,” Chemical Communications, vol. 10, no. 17, pp. 1964–1965, 2004.
- C. Zhang, Z. Cheng, P. Yang et al., “Architectures of strontium hydroxyapatite microspheres: solvothermal synthesis and luminescence properties,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 23, pp. 13591–13598, 2009.
- L.-S. Zhong, J.-S. Hu, H.-P. Liang, A.-M. Cao, W.-G. Song, and L.-J. Wan, “Self-assembled 3D flowerlike iron oxide nanostructures and their application in water treatment,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 2426–2431, 2006.
- J. Liu, Q. Wu, and Y. Ding, “Self-assembly and fluorescent modification of hydroxyapatite nanoribbon spherulites,” European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, no. 20, pp. 4145–4149, 2005.
- I.-S. Cho, D. W. Kim, S. Lee et al., “Synthesis of Cu2PO4OH hierarchical superstructures with photocatalytic activity in visible light,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 18, no. 15, pp. 2154–2162, 2008.
- X. Duan, Y. Huang, Y. Cui, J. Wang, and C. M. Lieber, “Indium phosphide nanowires as building blocks for nanoscale electronic and optoelectronic devices,” Nature, vol. 409, no. 6816, pp. 66–69, 2001.
- Y. Cai, H. Pan, R. Xu, Q. Hu, N. Li, and R. Tang, “Ultrasonic controlled morphology transformation of hollow calcium phosphate nanospheres: a smart and biocompatible drug release system,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 3081–3083, 2007.
- F. Favier, E. C. Walter, M. P. Zach, T. Benter, and R. M. Penner, “Hydrogen sensors and switches from electrodeposited palladium mesowire arrays,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5538, pp. 2227–2231, 2001.
- S. Ghosh and O. Inganas, “Conducting polymer hydrogels as 3D electrodes: applications for supercapacitors,” Advanced Materials, vol. 11, no. 14, pp. 1214–1218, 1999.
- D. R. Rolison and B. Dunn, “Electrically conductive oxide aerogels: new materials in electrochemistry,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 963–980, 2001.
- A. N. Shipway, E. Katz, and I. Willner, “Nanoparticle arrays on surfaces for electronic, optical, and sensor applications,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 18–52, 2000.
- T. Yonezawa, S. Onoue, and N. Kimizuka, “Self-organized superstructures of fluorocarbon-stabilized silver nanoparticles,” Advanced Materialsno, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 140–142, 2001.
- R. Maoz, E. Frydman, S. R. Cohen, and J. Sagiv, “Constructive nanolithography: site-defined silver self-assembly on nanoelectrochemically patterned monolayer templates,” Advanced Materials, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 424–429, 2000.
- J. Liu, K. Li, H. Wang, M. Zhu, H. Xu, and H. Yan, “Self-assembly of hydroxyapatite nanostructures by microwave irradiation,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 82–87, 2005.
- L. C. Palmer, C. J. Newcomb, S. R. Kaltz, E. D. Spoerke, and S. I. Stupp, “Biomimetic systems for hydroxyapatite mineralization inspired by bone and enamel,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 4754–4783, 2008.
- F. Chen, Y.-J. Zhu, K.-W. Wang, and K.-L. Zhao, “Surfactant-free solvothermal synthesis of hydroxyapatite nanowire/nanotube ordered arrays with biomimetic structures,” CrystEngComm, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1858–1863, 2011.
- A. J. Nathanael, D. Mangalaraj, P. Chi Chen, and N. Ponpandian, “Enhanced mechanical strength of hydroxyapatite nanorods reinforced with polyethylene,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1841–1853, 2011.
- S. V. Dorozhkin, “Calcium orthophosphates in nature, biology and medicine,” Materials, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 399–498, 2009.
- A. J. Nathanael, S. I. Hong, D. Mangalaraj, N. Ponpandian, and P. C. Chen, “Template free growth of novel hydroxyapatite nanorings: formation mechanism and their enhanced functional properties,” Crystal Growth & Design, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 3565–3574, 2012.
- L. M. Rodríguez-Lorenzo and M. Vallet-Regí, “Controlled crystallization of calcium phosphate apatites,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 2460–2465, 2000.
- X. Y. Zhao, Y. J. Zhu, F. Chen, B. Q. Lu, and J. Wu, “Nanosheet-assembled hierarchical nanostructures of hydroxyapatite: surfactant-free microwave hydrothermal rapid synthesis, protein/DNA adsorption and pH-controlled release,” Crystal Engineering Communications, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 206–212, 2013.
- Z. Li, Y. Xiong, and Y. Xie, “Selected-control synthesis of ZnO nanowires and nanorods via a PEG-assisted route,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 42, no. 24, pp. 8105–8109, 2003.
- C. V. Krishnan, J. Chen, C. Burger, and B. Chu, “Polymer-assisted growth of molybdenum oxide whiskers via a sonochemical process,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 41, pp. 20182–20188, 2006.
- G. Xiong, X. Wang, L. Lu, X. Yang, and Y. Xu, “Preparation and characterization of Al2O3-TiO2 composite oxide nanocrystals,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 70–77, 1998.
- Y.-H. Tseng, C.-S. Kuo, Y.-Y. Li, and C.-P. Huang, “Polymer-assisted synthesis of hydroxyapatite nanoparticle,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 819–822, 2009.
- J. Zhang, H. Liu, Z. Wang, N. Ming, Z. Li, and A. S. Biris, “Polyvinylpyrrolidone-directed crystallization of ZnO with tunable morphology and bandgap,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. 3897–3905, 2007.
- S.-H. Jeon, P. Xu, B. Zhang et al., “Polymer-assisted preparation of metal nanoparticles with controlled size and morphology,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 2550–2554, 2011.
- Y. Peng, A.-W. Xu, B. Deng, M. Antonietti, and H. Cölfen, “Polymer-controlled crystallization of zinc oxide hexagonal nanorings and disks,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 7, pp. 2988–2993, 2006.
- A. J. Nathanael, D. Mangalaraj, Y. Masuda, and N. Ponpandian, “Influence of fluorine substitution on the morphology and structure of hydroxyapatite nanocrystals prepared by hydrothermal method,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 967–976, 2013.