- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 973179, 8 pages
Melatonin Nanoparticles Adsorbed to Polyethylene Glycol Microspheres as Activators of Human Colostrum Macrophages
Institute of Biological and Health Science, Federal University of Mato Grosso, 78600-000 Barra do Garças, MT, Brazil
Received 8 November 2012; Revised 16 January 2013; Accepted 16 January 2013
Academic Editor: Suad Rashdan
Copyright © 2013 Cristiane de Castro Pernet Hara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Park, M. Ye, and K. Park, “Biodegradable polymers for microencapsulation of drugs,” Molecules, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 146–161, 2005.
- E. A. Scott, M. D. Nichols, R. Kuntz-Willits, and D. L. Elbert, “Modular scaffolds assembled around living cells using poly(ethylene glycol) microspheres with macroporation via a non-cytotoxic porogen,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 2010.
- E. F. Scherer, A. C. Honorio-Franca, C. C. P. Hara, A. P. B. Reinaque, M. A. Cortes, and E. L. França, “Immunomodulatory effects of poly(ethylene glycol) microspheres adsorbed with nanofractions of Momordica charantia L. on diabetic human blood phagocytes,” Science Advanced Material, vol. 3, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- D. L. G. Fagundes, E. L. França, C. C. P. Hara, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Immunomodulatory effects of poly (ethylene glycol) microspheres adsorbed with cortisol on activity of colostrum phagocytes,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 8, pp. 510–518, 2012.
- K. L. Kiick, “Materials science: polymer therapeutics,” Science, vol. 317, no. 5842, pp. 1182–1183, 2007.
- R. M. Goldblum and A. S. Goldman, “Immunological components of milk: formation and function,” in Journal Handbook Mucosal Immunology, P. L. Ogra, M. E. Lamm, J. R. McGhee, J. Mestecky, W. Strober, and J. Bienenstock, Eds., Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- H. Illnerová, M. Buresová, and J. Presl, “Melatonin rhythm in human milk,” Journal Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 77, pp. 838–841, 1993.
- G. N. Pontes, E. C. Cardoso, M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, and R. P. Markus, “Injury switches melatonin production source from endocrine (pineal) to paracrine (phagocytes)—melatonin in human colostrum and colostrum phagocytes,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 136–141, 2006.
- R. A. Kireev, A. C. F. Tresguerres, C. Garcia, C. Ariznavarreta, E. Vara, and J. A. F. Tresguerres, “Melatonin is able to prevent the liver of old castrated female rats from oxidative and pro-inflammatory damage,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 394–402, 2008.
- R. J. Reiter, D. X. Tan, M. J. Jou, A. Korkmaz, L. C. Manchester, and S. D. Paredes, “Biogenic amines in the reduction of oxidative stress: melatonin and its metabolites,” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 391–398, 2008.
- I. Bejarano, J. Espino, C. Barriga, R. J. Reiter, J. A. Pariente, and A. B. Rodríguez, “Pro-oxidant effect of melatonin in tumour leucocytes: relation with its cytotoxic and pro-apoptotic effects,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 14–20, 2011.
- E. L. França, J. C. Maynié, V. C. Correa, et al., “Immunomodulatory effects of herbal plants plus melatonin on human blood phagocytes,” International Journal of Phytomedicine, vol. 2, pp. 354–362, 2010.
- A. C. França-Botelho, J. L. França, F. M. S. Oliveira, et al., “Melatonin reduces the severity of experimental amoebiasis,” Parasites & Vector, vol. 4, p. 62, 2011.
- E. L. França, N. D. Feliciano, K. A. Silva, C. K. B. Ferrari, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Modulatory role of melatonin on superoxide release by spleen macrophages isolated from alloxan-induced diabetic rats,” Bratislavske Lekarske Listy, vol. 110, pp. 517–522, 2009.
- A. C. H. França, K. A. Silva, N. D. Feliciano, I. M. P. Calderon, M. V. C. Rudge, and E. L. França, “Melatonin effects on macrophage in diabetic rats and the maternal hyperglycemic implications for newborn rats,” International Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 87–92, 2009.
- B. J. Lee, K. A. Parrott, J. W. Ayres, and R. L. Sack, “Design and evaluation of an oral controlled release delivery system for melatonin in human subjects,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 119–127, 1995.
- L. Benes, B. Claustrat, F. Horriere, et al., “Transmucosal, oral controlled-release, and transdermal drug administration in human subjects: a crossover study with melatonin,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 1115–1119, 1997.
- S. Mao, J. Chen, Z. Wei, H. Liu, and D. Bi, “Intranasal administration of melatonin starch microspheres,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 272, no. 1-2, pp. 37–43, 2004.
- A. C. Honorio-França, M. P. S. M. Carvalho, L. Isaac, L. R. Trabulsi, and M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Colostral mononuclear phagocytes are able to kill enteropathogenic Escherichia coli opsonized with colostral IgA,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 1997.
- E. Pick and D. Mizel, “Rapid microassays for the measurement of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide production by macrophages in culture using an automatic enzyme immunoassay reader,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 211–226, 1981.
- R. Bellinati-Pires, S. E. Melki, G. M. D. D. Colleto, and M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Evaluation of a fluorochrome assay for assessing the bactericidal activity of neutrophils in human phagocyte dysfunctions,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 1989.
- G. Ruan and S. S. Feng, “Preparation and characterization of poly(lactic acid)-poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(lactic acid) (PLA-PEG-PLA) microspheres for controlled release of paclitaxel,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 27, pp. 5037–5044, 2003.
- B. Giehl Zanetti, V. Soldi, and E. Lemos-Senna, “Effect of polyethylene glycols addition in microsphere formulations of cellullose acetate butyrate on efficacy carbamazepine and particles morphology encapsulation,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 229–236, 2002.
- B. Stadler, A. D. Price, and A. N. Zelikin, “Acritical look at mutilayered polymer capsules in biomedicine: drug carriers, artificial organelles and cell mimics,” Advanced Functional Material, vol. 21, pp. 14–28, 2011.
- A. P. B. Reinaque, E. L. França, E. F. Scherer, M. A. Cortes, F. J. D. Souto, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Natural material adsorbed onto a polymer,” Drug Design, Development and Therapy, vol. 6, pp. 209–216, 2012.
- J. C. O. Villanova and R. L. Oréfice, “Aplicações Farmacêuticas de Polímeros,” Polímeros, vol. 20, pp. 51–64, 2010.
- S. Jevs’Evar, J. M. Kunstel, and V. G. Porekar, “PEGylation of therapeutic proteins,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 5, pp. 113–128, 2010.
- E. L. França, R. V. Bitencourt, M. Fujimori, T. Cristina de Morais, I. de Mattos Paranhos Calderon, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Human colostral phagocytes eliminate enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli opsonized by colostrum supernatant,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- C. Rodriguez, J. C. Mayo, R. M. Sainz et al., “Regulation of antioxidant enzymes: a significant role for melatonin,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2004.
- E. L. França, G. Morceli, D. L. G. Fagundes, M. V. C. Rugde, I. M. P. Calderon, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Secretory IgA- Fcα-Receptor interaction modulating phagocytosis and microbicidal activity by phagocytes in human colostrum of diabetics,” Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica, vol. 119, pp. 710–719, 2011.
- N. Klepac, Z. Rudeš, and R. Klepac, “Effects of melatonin on plasma oxidative stress in rats with streptozotocin induced diabetes,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 32–35, 2006.
- E. J. Sudnikovich, Y. Z. Maksimchik, S. V. Zabrodskaya et al., “Melatonin attenuates metabolic disorders due to streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 569, no. 3, pp. 180–187, 2007.
- S. R. Pandi-Perumal, I. Trakht, V. Srinivasan et al., “Physiological effects of melatonin: role of melatonin receptors and signal transduction pathways,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 335–353, 2008.
- A. C. Honorio-França, P. Launay, M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, and R. C. Monteiro, “Colostral neutrophils express Fcα receptors (CD89) lacking γ chain association and mediate noninflammatory properties of secretory IgA,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 289–296, 2001.
- H. O. Besedovsky and A. Del Rey, “Immune-neuro-endocrine interactions: facts and hypotheses,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 64–102, 1996.
- M. Cutolo, B. Villaggio, F. Candido et al., “Melatonin influences interleukin-12 and nitric oxide production by primary cultures of rheumatoid synovial macrophages and THP-1 cells,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 876, pp. 246–254, 1999.
- K. Skwarlo-Sonta, “Bi-directional communication between pineal gland and immune system,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 543, pp. 65–75, 2002.
- E. L. França, A. Pereira, S. L. Oliveira, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Chronoimmunomodulation of melatonin on bactericidal activity of human blood phagocytes,” Internet Journal of Microbiology, vol. 6, pp. 1–13, 2009.
- C. K. B. Ferrari, E. L. França, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Nitric oxide, health and disease,” Journal of Applied Biomedical, vol. 7, pp. 163–173, 2009.
- S. D. O. Silva, S. R. Q. Carvalho, V. F. Ximenes, S. S. Okada, and A. Campa, “Melatonin and its kynurenin-like oxidation products affect the microbicidal activity of neutrophils,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 420–425, 2006.
- E. Soto-Vega, I. Meza, G. Ramírez-Rodríguez, and G. Benitez-King, “Melatonin stimulates calmodulin phosphorylation by protein kinase C,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 98–106, 2004.
- L. Carrichon, A. Picciocchi, F. Debeurme et al., “Characterization of superoxide overproduction by the D-LoopNox4-Nox2 cytochrome b558 in phagocytes—differential sensitivity to calcium and phosphorylation events,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1808, no. 1, pp. 78–90, 2011.
- S. Kumari and D. Dash, “Melatonin elevates intracellular free calcium in human platelets by inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate independent mechanism,” FEBS Letters, vol. 585, no. 14, pp. 2345–2351, 2011.
- J. Espino, I. Bejarano, P. C. Redondo et al., “Melatonin reduces apoptosis induced by calcium signaling in human leukocytes: evidence for the involvement of mitochondria and bax activation,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 233, no. 1–3, pp. 105–118, 2010.
- J. Espino, I. Bejarano, S. D. Paredes, C. Barriga, A. B. Rodríguez, and J. A. Pariente, “Protective effect of melatonin against human leukocyte apoptosis induced by intracellular calcium overload: relation with its antioxidant actions,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 195–206, 2011.
- G. R. Caspari, “The influence of colostral leukocytes on the course of an experimental Escherichia coli infection and serum antibodies in neonatal calves,” Veterinary Immunology and Immunophatology, vol. 13, pp. 620–624, 1964.
- A. Hughes, J. H. Brock, D. M. V. Parrott, and F. Cockburn, “The interaction of infant formula with macrophages: effect on phagocytic activity, relationship to expression of class II MHC antigen and survival of orally administered macrophages in the neonatal gut,” Immunology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 213–218, 1988.
- M. Xanthou, “Immune protection of human milk,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 121–133, 1998.