- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 209049, 7 pages
Fabrication of Nanohydroxyapatite/Poly(caprolactone) Composite Microfibers Using Electrospinning Technique for Tissue Engineering Applications
1Faculty of Biosciences and Medical Engineering (FBME), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Johor Bahru, 81310 Skudai, Johor, Malaysia
2Miniaturized Medical Devices Program, Institute of Microelectronics, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore 117685
Received 19 March 2014; Revised 5 June 2014; Accepted 16 June 2014; Published 25 June 2014
Academic Editor: Zhongkui Hong
Copyright © 2014 Mohd Izzat Hassan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Sultana and T. H. Khan, “Polycaprolactone scaffolds and hydroxyapatite/polycaprolactone composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Bionanoscience, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 169–173, 2013.
- N. Sultana and T. H. Khan, “Water absorption and diffusion characteristics of nanohydroxyapatite (nHA) and poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyvalerate-) based composite tissue engineering scaffolds and nonporous thin films,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2013, Article ID 479109, 8 pages, 2013.
- Z.-L. Mou, L.-M. Duan, X.-N. Qi, and Z.-Q. Zhang, “Preparation of silk fibroin/collagen/hydroxyapatite composite scaffold by particulate leaching method,” Materials Letters, vol. 105, pp. 189–191, 2013.
- C. Ji, N. Annabi, M. Hosseinkhani, S. Sivaloganathan, and F. Dehghani, “Fabrication of poly-DL-lactide/polyethylene glycol scaffolds using the gas foaming technique,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 570–578, 2012.
- L. van der Schueren, B. de Schoenmaker, Ö. I. Kalaoglu, and K. de Clerck, “An alternative solvent system for the steady state electrospinning of polycaprolactone,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1256–1263, 2011.
- T. Serra, J. A. Planell, and M. Navarro, “High-resolution PLA-based composite scaffolds via 3-D printing technology,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 5521–5530, 2013.
- K. T. Shalumon, K. H. Anulekha, K. P. Chennazhi, H. Tamura, S. V. Nair, and R. Jayakumar, “Fabrication of chitosan/poly(caprolactone) nanofibrous scaffold for bone and skin tissue engineering,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 571–576, 2011.
- J. O. Zoppe, M. S. Peresin, Y. Habibi, R. A. Venditti, and O. J. Rojas, “Reinforcing poly(ε-caprolactone) nanofibers with cellulose nanocrystals,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 1996–2004, 2009.
- M. Simşek, M. Capkın, A. Karakeçili, and M. Gümüşderelioğlu, “Chitosan and polycaprolactone membranes patterned via electrospinning: effect of underlying chemistry and pattern characteristics on epithelial/fibroblastic cell behavior,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 3332–3343, 2012.
- T.-H. Nguyen, T. Q. Bao, I. Park, and B.-T. Lee, “A novel fibrous scaffold composed of electrospun porous poly (epsilon-caprolactone) fibers for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 514–528, 2013.
- Z. Chen, L. Cao, L. Wang, H. Zhu, and H. Jiang, “Effect of fiber structure on the properties of the electrospun hybrid membranes composed of poly(-caprolactone) and gelatin,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 4225–4232, 2013.
- M. I. Hassan, M. Mokhtar, N. Sultana, and T. H. Khan, “Production of hydroxyapatite(HA) nanoparticle and HA/PCL tissue engineering scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” in Proceedings of the IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Sciences (IECBES '12), pp. 239–242.
- W. Y. Zhou, M. Wang, W. L. Cheung, B. C. Guo, and D. M. Jia, “Synthesis of carbonated hydroxyapatite nanospheres through nanoemulsion,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 2008.
- T. Sun, T. H. Khan, and N. Sultana, “Fabrication and in vitro evaluation of nanosized hydroxyapatite/chitosan—base d tissue engineering scaffolds,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2014, Article ID 194680, 8 pages, 2014.
- D. H. Reneker and I. Chun, “Nanometre diameter fibres of polymer, produced by electrospinning,” Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 216–223, 1996.
- L. A. Bosworth and S. Downes, “Acetone, a sustainable solvent for electrospinning poly(ε-caprolactone) fibres: effect of varying parameters and solution concentrations on fibre diameter,” Journal of Polymers and the Environment, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 879–886, 2012.
- Z. X. Meng, W. Zheng, L. Li, and Y. F. Zheng, “Fabrication and characterization of three-dimensional nanofiber membrance of PCL-MWCNTs by electrospinning,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1014–1021, 2010.
- T. Amna, N. A. M. Barakat, M. S. Hassan, M. Khil, and H. Y. Kim, “Camptothecin loaded poly(ε-caprolactone)nanofibers via one-step electrospinning and their cytotoxicity impact,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 431, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- F. Croisier, A.-S. Duwez, C. Jérôme et al., “Mechanical testing of electrospun PCL fibers,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 218–224, 2012.
- A. K. Jaiswal, H. Chhabra, S. S. Kadam, K. Londhe, V. P. Soni, and J. R. Bellare, “Hardystonite improves biocompatibility and strength of electrospun polycaprolactone nanofibers over hydroxyapatite: a comparative study,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 2926–2936, 2013.