- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 371307, 9 pages
Nanocomposites of Polyacrylic Acid Nanogels and Biodegradable Polyhydroxybutyrate for Bone Regeneration and Drug Delivery
1Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, 41296 Gothenburg, Sweden
2Ian Wark Research Institute, University of South Australia, Mawson Lakes Campus, Mawson Lakes, SA 5095, Australia
3SuMo BIOMATERIALS, VINN Excellence Center at Chalmers University of Technology, 41296 Gothenburg, Sweden
Received 26 July 2013; Accepted 22 October 2013; Published 16 January 2014
Academic Editor: Haifeng Chen
Copyright © 2014 Mikael Larsson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Chasin and R. Langer, Eds., Biodegradable Polymers as Drug Delivery Systems, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- M. I. Sabir, X. Xu, and L. Li, “A review on biodegradable polymeric materials for bone tissue engineering applications,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 5713–5724, 2009.
- Y. Yang and A. J. El Haj, “Biodegradable scaffolds—delivery systems for cell therapies,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 485–498, 2006.
- M. Larsson, W. C. Huang, M. H. Hsiao et al., “Biomedical applications and colloidal properties of amphiphilically modified chitosan hybrids,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1307–1328, 2013.
- S. K. Misra, S. P. Valappil, I. Roy, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA)/inorganic phase composites for tissue engineering applications,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2249–2258, 2006.
- A. Bergstrand, H. Andersson, J. Cramby, K. Sott, and A. Larsson, “Preparation of porous poly(3-Hydroxybutyrate) films by water-droplet templating,” Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 431–439, 2012.
- R. N. Reusch, A. W. Sparrow, and J. Gardiner, “Transport of poly-β-hydroxybutyrate in human plasma,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1123, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 1992.
- T. Saito, K. Tomita, K. Juni, and K. Ooba, “In vivo and in vitro degradation of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) in rat,” Biomaterials, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 309–312, 1991.
- C. Doyle, E. T. Tanner, and W. Bonfield, “In vitro and in vivo evaluation of polyhydroxybutyrate and of polyhydroxybutyrate reinforced with hydroxyapatite,” Biomaterials, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 841–847, 1991.
- A. Zonari, S. Novikoff, N. R. P. Electo et al., “Endothelial differentiation of human stem cells seeded onto electrospun polyhydroxybutyrate/polyhydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyvalerate fiber mesh,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e35422, 2012.
- E. C. Carlo, A. P. B. Borges, R. J. Del Carlo et al., “Comparison of in vivo properties of hydroxyapatite-polyhydroxybutyrate composites assessed for bone substitution,” Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 853–859, 2009.
- P.-N. Mohanna, R. C. Young, M. Wiberg, and G. Terenghi, “A composite pol-hydroxybutyrate-glial growth factor conduit for long nerve gap repairs,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 203, no. 6, pp. 553–565, 2003.
- M. Åberg, C. Ljungberg, E. Edin et al., “Clinical evaluation of a resorbable wrap-around implant as an alternative to nerve repair: a prospective, assessor-blinded, randomised clinical study of sensory, motor and functional recovery after peripheral nerve repair,” Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 1503–1509, 2009.
- M. T. Khorasani, S. A. Mirmohammadi, and S. Irani, “Polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) scaffolds as a model for nerve tissue engineering application: fabrication and in vitro assay,” International Journal of Polymeric Materials, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 562–575, 2011.
- C. Zhijiang, “Biocompatibility and biodegradation of novel PHB porous substrates with controlled multi-pore size by emulsion templates method,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1297–1303, 2006.
- M. Larsson, S. Gustafsson, E. Olsson, and A. Larsson, “Effect of calcium neutralization on elastic and swelling properties of crosslinked poly(acrylic acid)—correlation to inhomogeneities and phase behaviour,” e-Polymers, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1683–1696, 2013.
- R. C. Rowe, P. J. Sheskey, and M. E. Quinn, Eds., Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients, Pharmacutical Press and American Pharmacist Association, Chicago, Ill, USA, 6th edition, 2009.
- T. K. De and A. S. Hoffman, “An ophthalmic formulation of a beta-adrenoceptor antagonist, levobetaxolol, using poly(acrylic acid) nanoparticles as carrier: loading and release studies,” Journal of Bioactive and Compatible Polymers, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 20–31, 2001.
- T. K. De and A. S. Hoffman, “A reverse microemulsion polymerization method for preparation of bioadhesive polyacrylic acid nanoparticles for mucosal drug delivery: loading and release of timolol maleate,” Artificial Cells, Blood Substitutes, and Immobilization Biotechnology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 31–46, 2001.
- R. Melinda Molnar, M. Bodnar, J. F. Hartmann, and J. Borbely, “Preparation and characterization of poly(acrylic acid)-based nanoparticles,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 287, no. 6, pp. 739–744, 2009.
- M. H. Hsiao, M. Larsson, A. Larsson et al., “Design and characterization of a novel amphiphilic chitosan nanocapsule-based thermo-gelling biogel with sustained in vivo release of the hydrophilic anti-epilepsy drug ethosuximide,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 942–948, 2012.
- L.-J. Lin, M. Larsson, and D.-M. Liu, “A novel dual-structure, self-healable, polysaccharide based hybrid nanogel for biomedical uses,” Soft Matter, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 5816–5825, 2011.
- L. Zhao, L. Zhu, F. Liu et al., “pH triggered injectable amphiphilic hydrogel containing doxorubicin and paclitaxel,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 410, no. 1-2, pp. 83–91, 2011.
- P. Clément-Lacroix, M. Ai, F. Morvan et al., “Lrp5-independent activation of Wnt signaling by lithium chloride increases bone formation and bone mass in mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 48, pp. 17406–17411, 2005.
- C. M. Hedgepeth, L. J. Conrad, J. Zhang, H.-C. Huang, V. M. Y. Lee, and P. S. Klein, “Activation of the Wnt signaling pathway: a molecular mechanism for lithium action,” Developmental Biology, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 82–91, 1997.
- Y. Chen, H. C. Whetstone, A. C. Lin et al., “Beta-catenin signaling plays a disparate role in different phases of fracture repair: implications for therapy to improve bone healing,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 4, no. 7, article e249, 2007.
- F. Kugimiya, H. Kawaguchi, S. Ohba et al., “GSK-3β controls osteogenesis through regulating Runx2 activity,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 9, article e837, 2007.
- G. Van den Mooter, C. Samyn, and R. Kinget, “Characterization of colon-specific azo polymers: a study of the swelling properties and the permeability of isolated polymer films,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 127–136, 1994.
- L. Masaro and X. X. Zhu, “Physical models of diffusion for polymer solutions, gels and solids,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 731–775, 1999.
- M. Larsson, J. Hjärtstam, and A. Larsson, “Novel nanostructured microfibrillated cellulose-hydroxypropyl methylcellulose films with large one-dimensional swelling and tunable permeability,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 763–771, 2012.