- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 571745, 9 pages
Removal and Adsorption of p-Nitrophenol from Aqueous Solutions Using Carbon Nanotubes and Their Composites
1Research and Development Center, China Tobacco Hunan Industrial Corporation, Changsha, Hunan 410014, China
2College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410083, China
3College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Hunan University, Changsha, Hunan 410082, China
Received 9 April 2014; Revised 1 June 2014; Accepted 11 June 2014; Published 2 July 2014
Academic Editor: Shadi A. Dayeh
Copyright © 2014 Yuan-Xiang Yao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. H. Hallenbeck and K. M. Cunningham-Burns, Pesticides and Human Health, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- I. Ivančev-Tumbas, R. Hobby, B. Küchle, S. Panglisch, and R. Gimbel, “p-Nitrophenol removal by combination of powdered activated carbon adsorption and ultrafiltration - comparison of different operational modes,” Water Research, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 4117–4124, 2008.
- M. L. Chen, J. S. Bae, H. S. Yoon, C. S. Lim, and W. C. Oh, “The photodegradation effect of organic dye for metal oxide (Cr2O3, MgO and V2O3) treated CNT/TiO2 composites,” Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 815–820, 2011.
- P. Xiong, Y. Fu, L. Wang, and X. Wang, “Multi-walled carbon nanotubes supported nickel ferrite: A magnetically recyclable photocatalyst with high photocatalytic activity on degradation of phenols,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 195-196, pp. 149–157, 2012.
- A. Mehrizad, K. Zare, H. Aghaie, and S. Dastmalchi, “Removal of 4-chloro-2-nitrophenol occurring in drug and pesticide waste by adsorption onto nano-titanium dioxide,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 355–360, 2012.
- L. H. Qiu, Y. J. Peng, B. Q. Liu, B. C. Lin, M. J. Malik, and F. Yan, “Polypyrrole nanotube-supported gold nanoparticles: an efficient electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction and catalytic reduction of 4-nitrophenol,” Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 413-414, pp. 230–237, 2012.
- R. Jin, Y. Xing, X. Yu et al., “Facile synthesis of well-dispersed silver nanoparticles on hierarchical flower-like Ni3Si2O5(OH)4 with a high catalytic activity towards 4-nitrophenol reduction,” Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 2955–2961, 2012.
- C. M. Fan, L. F. Zhang, S. S. Wang, D. H. Wang, L. Q. Lu, and A. W. Xu, “Novel CeO2 yolk-shell structures loaded with tiny Au nanoparticles for superior catalytic reduction of p-nitrophenol,” Nanoscale, vol. 4, no. 21, pp. 6835–6840, 2012.
- J. Zhou, Z. Zhang, B. Cheng, and J. Yu, “Glycine-assisted hydrothermal synthesis and adsorption properties of crosslinked porous -Fe2O3 nanomaterials for p-nitrophenol,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 211-212, pp. 153–160, 2012.
- A. E. Ofomaja, “Kinetics and pseudo-isotherm studies of 4-nitrophenol adsorption onto mansonia wood sawdust,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 418–428, 2011.
- H. S. Wahab, “Molecular modeling of the adsorption and initial photocatalytic oxidation step for para-nitrophenol on nano-sized TiO2 surface,” Surface Science, vol. 606, no. 5-6, pp. 624–633, 2012.
- K. D. M. Rao, B. Radha, K. C. Smith, T. S. Fisher, and G. U. Kulkarni, “Solution-processed soldering of carbon nanotubes for flexible electronics,” Nanotechnology, vol. 24, no. 7, Article ID 075301, 2013.
- Q. Cao, S. Han, G. S. Tulevski, Y. Zhu, D. D. Lu, and W. Haensch, “Arrays of single-walled carbon nanotubes with full surface coverage for high-performance electronics,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 180–186, 2013.
- H. Zhang, B. Wu, W. Hu, and Y. Liu, “Separation and/or selective enrichment of single-walled carbon nanotubes based on their electronic properties,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 1324–1336, 2011.
- J. Pu, S. Wan, Z. Lu et al., “Controlled water adhesion and electrowetting of conducting hydrophobic graphene/carbon nanotubes composite films on engineering materials,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 1254–1260, 2013.
- A. Aldalbahi, J. Chu, P. Feng, and M. I. H. Panhuis, “Conducting composite materials from the biopolymer kappa-carrageenan and carbon nanotubes,” Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 415–427, 2012.
- Z. Liu, Q. Xue, C. Ling, Z. Yan, and J. Zheng, “Hydrogen storage and release by bending carbon nanotubes,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 68, pp. 121–126, 2013.
- P. Dibandjo, C. Zlotea, R. Gadiou et al., “Hydrogen storage in hybrid nanostructured carbon/palladium materials: influence of particle size and surface chemistry,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 952–965, 2013.
- H. H. Choi, J. Lee, K. Dong, B. Ju, and W. Lee, “Gas Sensing performance of composite materials using conducting polymer/single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 143–146, 2012.
- P. Teerapanich, M. T. Z. Myint, C. M. Joseph, G. L. Hornyak, and J. Dutta, “Development and improvement of carbon nanotube-based ammonia gas sensors using ink-jet printed interdigitated electrodes,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 255–262, 2013.
- A. Abdellah, A. Abdelhalim, M. Horn, G. Scarpa, and P. Lugli, “Scalable spray deposition process for high-performance carbon nanotube gas sensors,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 174–181, 2013.
- S. Prakash, M. Malhotra, W. Shao, C. Tomaro-Duchesneau, and S. Abbasi, “Polymeric nanohybrids and functionalized carbon nanotubes as drug delivery carriers for cancer therapy,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 63, no. 14-15, pp. 1340–1351, 2011.
- U. Arsawang, O. Saengsawang, T. Rungrotmongkol et al., “How do carbon nanotubes serve as carriers for gemcitabine transport in a drug delivery system?” Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 591–596, 2011.
- R. Q. Long and R. T. Yang, “Carbon nanotubes as superior sorbent for dioxin removal,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 2058–2059, 2001.
- J. G. Yu, X. H. Zhao, H. Yang et al., “Aqueous adsorption and removal of organic contaminants by carbon nanotubes,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 482-483, pp. 241–251, 2014.
- M. Sakuma, S. Hori, T. Hayashida, S. Mayama, and K. Umemura, “A new method for removing dispersed carbon nanotubes from aqueous solution by nanoporous biosilica (frustule),” Journal of Porous Materials, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 961–966, 2013.
- K. L. Salipira, B. B. Mamba, R. W. Krause, T. J. Malefetse, and S. H. Durbach, “Carbon nanotubes and cyclodextrin polymers for removing organic pollutants from water,” Environmental Chemistry Letters, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2007.
- W. S. Huang, C. H. Yang, and S. H. Zhang, “Simultaneous determination of 2-nitrophenol and 4-nitrophenol based on the multi-wall carbon nanotubes nafion-modified electrode,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 375, no. 5, pp. 703–707, 2003.
- J. Zheng, J. Hu, and F. Du, “Modification of carbon nanotubes with sodium p-aminobenzenesulfonate and its effect on Cu2+ adsorption,” New Carbon Materials, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2013.
- Y. Zhou, B. Wen, Z. Pei et al., “Coadsorption of copper and perfluorooctane sulfonate onto multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 203, pp. 148–157, 2012.
- A. Mehrizad, M. Aghaie, P. Gharbani, S. Dastmalchi, M. Monajjemi, and K. Zare, “Comparison of 4-chloro-2-nitrophenol adsorption on single-walled and multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, article 5, 2012.
- L. P. Lukhele, R. W. M. Krause, Z. P. Nhlabatsi, B. B. Mamba, and M. N. B. Momba, “Copper and silver impregnated carbon nanotubes incorporated into cyclodextrin polyurethanes for the removal of bacterial and organic pollutants in water,” Desalination and Water Treatment, vol. 27, no. 1–3, pp. 299–307, 2011.
- J. Yu, K. Huang, Q. Yang, and Y. Liu, “Solubilizing polycarbonate-modified single-walled carbon nanotubes by simultaneously attaching octadecylamine,” Physica E: Low-Dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 771–774, 2009.
- J. Yu, K. Huang, S. Liu, and J. Tang, “Preparation and characterization of soluble methyl-β-cyclodextrin functionalized single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Physica E: Low-Dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 689–692, 2008.
- J. Yu, D. Huang, K. Huang, and Y. Hong, “Cross-linking of multi-walled carbon nanotubes with polyethylene glycol,” Polymer: Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 328–331, 2011.
- J. Yu, D. Huang, K. Huang, and Y. Hong, “Preparation of hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin cross-linked multi-walled carbon nanotubes and their application in enantioseparation of clenbuterol,” Chinese Journal of Chemistry, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 893–897, 2011.
- J. G. Yu, K. L. Huang, S. Q. Liu, J. C. Tang, and L. Q. Chen, “Modification of brominated multiple-walled carbon nanotubes with octadecanol through nucleophilic substitution,” Chinese Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 293–297, 2008.
- Y. K. Chen, M. L. H. Green, J. L. Griffin, J. Hammer, R. M. Logo, and S. C. Tsang, “Purification and opening of carbon nanotubes via bromination,” Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1012–1015, 1996.
- J. Tang, K. Huang, J. Yu, and S. Liu, “Mechanical property and pH sensitivity of chitosan-carbon nanotube/chitosan semi-interpenetrating hydrogel,” Acta Chimica Sinica, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 541–544, 2008.
- J. Yu, K. Huang, J. Tang, Q. Yang, and D. Huang, “Rapid microwave synthesis of chitosan modified carbon nanotube composites,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 316–319, 2009.
- J. Yu, K. Huang, Y. Hong, and D. Huang, “Preparation and characterization of dichlorocarbene modified multiple-walled carbon nanotubes,” Chemical Research in Chinese Universities, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 505–507, 2007.
- J. G. Yu, K. L. Huang, and J. C. Tang, “Chemical attachment of dibromocarbene to carbon nanotubes,” Physica E: Low-Dimensional Systems & Nanostructures, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 2008.
- J. Yu, X. Jiang, D. Zeng, X. Chen, F. Jiao, and Z. Peng, “Preparation and characterization of diiodocarbene functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 89–92, 2013.
- W. Huang, S. Fernando, L. F. Allard, and Y. Sun, “Solubilization of single-walled carbon nanotubes with diamine-terminated oligomeric poly(ethylene glycol) in different functionalization reactions,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 565–568, 2003.
- M. Shim, N. W. S. Kam, R. J. Chen, Y. Li, and H. Dai, “Functionalization of carbon nanotubes for biocompatibility and biomolecular recognition,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 285–288, 2002.
- V. Datsyuk, M. Kalyva, K. Papagelis et al., “Chemical oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Carbon, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 833–840, 2008.
- B. K. Price, J. R. Lomeda, and J. M. Tour, “Aggressively oxidized ultra-short single-walled carbon nanotubes having oxidized sidewalls,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 21, no. 17, pp. 3917–3923, 2009.
- J. G. Yu, K. L. Huang, Y. Homg, and D. S. Huang, “Preparation and characterization of dichlorocarbene modified multiple-walled carbon nanotubes,” Chemical Research in Chinese Universities, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 505–507, 2007.
- J. G. Yu, K. L. Huang, and J. C. Tang, “Chemical attachment of dibromocarbene to carbon nanotubes,” Physica E: Low-Dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 181–184, 2008.
- J. G. Yu, X. Y. Jiang, D. M. Zeng, X. Q. Chen, F. P. Jiao, and Z. G. Peng, “Preparation and characterization of diiodocarbene functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 89–92, 2013.
- J. Chen, M. A. Hamon, H. Hu et al., “Solution properties of single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Science, vol. 282, pp. 95–98, 1998.
- W. B. Yang, Y. P. Lu, F. F. Zheng, X. X. Xue, N. Li, and D. M. Liu, “Adsorption behavior and mechanisms of norfloxacin onto porous resins and carbon nanotube,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 179, pp. 112–118, 2012.
- F. Yu, Y. Wu, X. Li, and J. Ma, “Kinetic and thermodynamic studies of toluene, ethylbenzene, and m -xylene adsorption from aqueous solutions onto KOH-activated multiwalled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 60, no. 50, pp. 12245–12253, 2012.