- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 585170, 7 pages
Flaxseed Lignan Complex Administration in Older Human Type 2 Diabetics Manages Central Obesity and Prothrombosis—An Invitation to Further Investigation into Polypharmacy Reduction
1Department of Health Studies, Cape Breton University, P.O. Box 5300, Sydney, NS, Canada B1P 6L2
2Department of Biology, Cape Breton University, P.O. Box 5300, Sydney, NS, Canada B1P 6L2
3Department of Biology, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, 8771 Lansdowne Road, Richmond, BC, Canada V6X 3V8
4School of Nursing, Cape Breton University, P.O. Box 5300, Sydney, NS, Canada B1P 6L2
5Faculty of Medicine, Saint James School of Medicine, Bonaire, The Netherlands
Received 16 July 2012; Revised 6 September 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Phillip B. Hylemon
Copyright © 2012 D. E. Barre et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. E. Kahn, R. L. Hull, and K. M. Utzschneider, “Mechanisms linking obesity to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes,” Nature, vol. 444, no. 7121, pp. 840–846, 2006.
- A. D'Souza, M. Hussain, F. C. Howarth, N. M. Woods, K. Bidasee, and J. Singh, “Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of accelerated atherosclerosis in the diabetic heart,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 331, no. 1-2, pp. 89–116, 2009.
- J. Chalmers, R. Joshi, and A. Patel, “Advances in reducing the burden of vascular disease in type 2 diabetes,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 434–437, 2008.
- S. M. Grundy, “Metabolic syndrome: connecting and reconciling cardiovascular and diabetes worlds,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1093–1100, 2006.
- Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines, 2008, http://www.diabetes.ca/for-professionals/resources/2008-cpg.
- D. E. Barre, O. Griscti, K. Mizier-Barre, and K. Hafez, “Flaxseed oil and lipoprotein a significantly increase bleeding time in type 2 diabetes patients in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada,” Journal of Oleo Science, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 347–354, 2005.
- J. E. Volanakis, “Human C-reactive protein: expression, structure, and function,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 38, no. 2-3, pp. 189–197, 2001.
- P. J. White and A. Marette, “Inflammation-induced insulin resistance in obesity, when immunity affects metabolic control,” in Physical Activity and Type 2 Diabetes Therapeutic Effects and Mechanisms of Action, J. A. Hawley and J. R. Zierath, Eds., Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2008.
- W. Zhang, X. Wang, Y. Liu et al., “Dietary flaxseed lignan extract lowers plasma cholesterol and glucose concentrations in hypercholesterolaemic subjects,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 1301–1309, 2008.
- A. Pan, J. Sun, Y. Chen et al., “Effects of a flaxseed-derived lignan supplement in type 2 diabetic patients: a randomized, double-blind, cross-over trial,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 11, Article ID e1148, 2007.
- M. J. J. de Kleijn, Y. T. van der Schouw, P. W. F. Wilson, D. E. Grobbee, and P. F. Jacques, “Dietary intake of phytoestrogens is associated with a favorable metabolic cardiovascular risk profile in postmenopausal U.S. women: the framingham study,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 276–282, 2002.
- K. Prasad, “Antihypertensive activity of secoisolariciresinol diglucoside (SDG) isolated from flaxseed: role of guanylate cyclase,” International Journal of Angiology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 7–14, 2004.
- S. Kreijkamp-Kaspers, L. Kok, M. L. Bots, D. E. Grobbee, and Y. T. van der Schouw, “Dietary phytoestrogens and vascular function in postmenopausal women: a cross-sectional study,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1381–1388, 2004.
- K. Prasad, “Secoisolariciresinol diglucoside from flaxseed delays the development of type 2 diabetes in Zucker rat,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 2001.
- K. Prasad, “Reduction of serum cholesterol and hypercholesterolemic atherosclerosis in rabbits by secoisolariciresinol diglucoside isolated from flaxseed,” Circulation, vol. 99, no. 10, pp. 1355–1362, 1999.
- D. D. Kitts, Y. V. Yuan, A. N. Wijewickreme, and L. U. Thompson, “Antioxidant activity of the flaxseed lignan secoisolariciresinol diglycoside and its mammalian lignan metabolites enterodiol and enterolactone,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 202, no. 1-2, pp. 91–100, 1999.
- M. R. Ogborn, E. Nitschmann, N. Bankovic-Calic, H. A. Weiler, and H. M. Aukema, “Effects of flaxseed derivatives in experimental polycystic kidney disease vary with animal gender,” Lipids, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1141–1149, 2006.
- M. Foti, M. Piattelli, M. T. Baratta, and G. Ruberto, “Flavonids, coumarins, and cinnamic acids as antioxidants in a micellar system. Structure-activity relationship,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 497–501, 1996.
- G. P. Hubbard, S. Wolffram, J. A. Lovegrove, and J. M. Gibbins, “The role of polyphenolic compounds in the diet as inhibitors of platelet function,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 469–478, 2003.
- M. K. Lee, Y. B. Park, S. S. Moon et al., “Hypocholesterolemic and antioxidant properties of 3-(4-hydroxyl)propanoic acid derivatives in high-cholesterol fed rats,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 9–19, 2007.
- P. J. Lupien, S. Moorjani, D. Brun, and P. Bielmann, “Effects of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaric acid on plasma and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in familial hypercholesterolemia,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 2-3, pp. 120–126, 1979.
- S. Lemieux, D. Prud'homme, C. Bouchard, A. Tremblay, and J. P. Després, “A single threshold value of waist girth identifies normal-weight and overweight subjects with excess visceral adipose tissue,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 685–693, 1996.
- G. Ellis, E. P. Diamandis, and E. E. Giesbrecht, “An automated “high-pressure” liquid-chromatographic assay for hemoglobin A(1c),” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1746–1752, 1984.
- T. Hirano, Y. Ito, H. Saegusa, and G. Yoshino, “A novel and simple method for quantification of small, dense LDL,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2193–2201, 2003.
- J. Hallund, G. Ravn-Haren, S. Bügel, T. Tholstrup, and I. Tetens, “A lignan complex isolated from flaxseed does not affect plasma lipid concentrations or antioxidant capacity in healthy postmenopausal women,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 112–116, 2006.
- S. Fukumitsu, K. Aida, H. Shimizu, and K. Toyoda, “Flaxseed lignan lowers blood cholesterol and decreases liver disease risk factors in moderately hypercholesterolemic men,” Nutrition Research, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 441–446, 2010.
- S. M. Cornish, P. D. Chilibeck, L. Paus-Jennsen et al., “A randomized controlled trial of the effects of flaxseed lignan complex on metabolic syndrome composite score and bone mineral in older adults,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 89–98, 2009.
- S. Fukumitsu, K. Aida, N. Ueno, S. Ozawa, Y. Takahashi, and M. Kobori, “Flaxseed lignan attenuates high-fat diet-induced fat accumulation and induces adiponectin expression in mice,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 669–676, 2008.
- G. Davì, C. Patrono, I. Catalano et al., “Inhibition of thromboxane biosynthesis and platelet function by indobufen in type II diabetes mellitus,” Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1346–1349, 1993.
- P. Gresele, S. Marzotti, G. Guglielmini et al., “Hyperglycemia-induced platelet activation in type 2 diabetes is resistant to aspirin but not to a nitric oxide-donating agent,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1262–1268, 2010.
- C. Watala, “Blood platelet reactivity and its pharmacological modulation in (people with) diabetes mellitus,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 2331–2365, 2005.
- D. Fuchs, R. Piller, J. Linseisen, H. Daniel, and U. Wenzel, “The human peripheral blood mononuclear cell proteome responds to a dietary flaxseed-intervention and proteins identified suggest a protective effect in atherosclerosis,” Proteomics, vol. 7, no. 18, pp. 3278–3288, 2007.
- J. Hallund, I. Tetens, S. Bügel, T. Tholstrup, and J. M. Bruun, “The effect of a lignan complex isolated from flaxseed on inflammation markers in healthy postmenopausal women,” Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 497–502, 2008.
- A. Pan, W. Demark-Wahnefried, X. Ye et al., “Effects of a flaxseed-derived lignan supplement on C-reactive protein, IL-6 and retinol-binding protein 4 in type 2 diabetic patients,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1145–1149, 2009.
- Q. X. Li, Q. Q. Fu, S. W. Shi et al., “Relationship between plasma inflammatory markers and plaque fibrous cap thickness determined by intravascular optical coherence tomography,” Heart, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 196–201, 2010.
- P. Holvoet, E. Macy, M. Landeloos et al., “Analytical performance and diagnostic accuracy of immunometric assays for the measurement of circulating oxidized LDL,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 760–764, 2006.
- B. Guldiken, S. Guldiken, B. Turgut et al., “The roles of oxidized low-density lipoprotein and interleukin-6 levels in acute atherothrombotic and lacunar ischemic stroke,” Angiology, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 224–229, 2008.