- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 918571, 7 pages
Meal Replacements for Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes in a Community Setting
1Division of Health Sciences, School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
2Nutritional Interventions, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Received 10 May 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Christel Lamberg-Allardt
Copyright © 2012 Jennifer B. Keogh and Peter M. Clifton. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Dattilo and P. M. Kris-Etherton, “Effects of weight reduction on blood lipids and lipoproteins: a meta- analysis,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 320–328, 1992.
- A. M. Hill and P. M. Kris-Etherton, “Contemporary strategies for weight loss and cardiovascular disease risk factor modification,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 486–496, 2008.
- J. B. Keogh and P. Clifton, “The effect of meal replacements high in glycomacropeptide on weight loss and markers of cardiovascular disease risk,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1602–1605, 2008.
- M. Noakes, P. R. Foster, J. B. Keogh, and P. M. Clifton, “Meal replacements are as effective as structured weight-loss diets for treating obesity in adults with features of metabolic syndrome,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 8, pp. 1894–1899, 2004.
- X. Pi-Sunyer, G. Blackburn, F. L. Brancati, et al., “Long-term effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the Look AHEAD trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 17, pp. 1566–1575, 2010.
- Look AHEAD Research Group and R. R. Wing, “Long-term effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the Look AHEAD trial,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 17, pp. 1566–1575, 2010.
- D. Q. Rothacker and G. L. Blackburn, “Obesity prevalence by age group and 5-year changes in adults residing in rural Wisconsin,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. 784–790, 2000.
- T. P. Wycherley, M. Noakes, P. M. Clifton, X. Cleanthous, J. B. Keogh, and G. D. Brinkworth, “Timing of protein ingestion relative to resistance exercise training does not influence body composition, energy expenditure, glycaemic control or cardiometabolic risk factors in a hypocaloric, high protein diet in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1097–1105, 2010.
- O. Hamdy and D. Zwiefelhofer, “Weight management using a meal replacement strategy in type 2 diabetes,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 2010.
- T. Brown, A. Avenell, L. D. Edmunds et al., “Systematic review of long-term lifestyle interventions to prevent weight gain and morbidity in adults,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 627–638, 2009.
- L. Gagliardi and G. Wittert, “Management of obesity in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- L. Aucott, A. Poobalan, W. C. S. Smith et al., “Weight loss in obese diabetic and non-diabetic individuals and long-term diabetes outcomes—a systematic review,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 85–94, 2004.
- I. Yip, V. L. Go, S. DeShields et al., “Liquid meal replacements and glycemic control in obese type 2 diabetes patients,” Obesity Research, vol. 9, supplement 4, pp. 341S–347S, 2001.
- Z. Li, K. Hong, P. Saltsman et al., “Long-term efficacy of soy-based meal replacements vs an individualized diet plan in obese type II DM patients: relative effects on weight loss, metabolic parameters, and C-reactive protein,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 411–418, 2005.
- H. H. Ditschuneit, “Do meal replacement drinks have a role in diabetes management?” Nestlé Nutrition Institute Workshop Series: Clinical & Performance, vol. 11, pp. 171–181, 2006.
- L. J. Cheskin, A. M. Mitchell, A. D. Jhaveri et al., “Efficacy of meal replacements versus a standard food-based diet for weight loss in type 2 diabetes: a controlled clinical trial,” The Diabetes Educator, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 118–127, 2008.