- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 245349, 7 pages
Use of Dietary Supplements among Professional Athletes in Saudi Arabia
1Department of Exercise Physiology, College of Sport Sciences and Physical Activity, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2Food Microbiology Laboratory, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, Greensboro, NC, USA
Received 25 February 2013; Revised 29 March 2013; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editor: Cindy Davis
Copyright © 2013 Sulaiman O. Aljaloud and Salam A. Ibrahim. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- DSHEA, Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994. Pub L No103-417, 108 Stat 4325, 994.
- L. Burke, M. Cort, G. Cox et al., “Supplements and sports foods,” in Clinical Sports Nutrition, pp. 485–579, McGraw-Hill, Sydney, Australia, 2006.
- M. S. Juhn, “Popular sports supplements and ergogenic aids,” Sports Medicine, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 921–939, 2003.
- A. H. Naylor, D. Gardner, and L. Zaichkowsky, “Drug use patterns among high school athletes and nonathletes,” Adolescence-Sandiego, vol. 36, no. 144, pp. 627–640, 2001.
- H. Schröder, E. Navarro, J. Mora, J. Seco, J. M. Torregrosa, and A. Tramullas, “The type, amount, frequency and timing of dietary supplement use by elite players in the First Spanish Basketball League,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 353–358, 2001.
- M. S. Dunn, J. M. Eddy, M. Q. Wang, S. Nagy, M. A. Perko, and R. T. Bartee, “The influence of significant others on attitudes, subjective norms and intentions regarding dietary supplement use among adolescent athletes,” Adolescence-Sandiego, vol. 36, no. 143, pp. 583–592, 2001.
- A. C. Medicine and A. D. Association, “Dietitians of Canada. Joint position statement: nutrition and athletic performance,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2130–2145, 2000.
- A. Bianco, C. Mammina, A. Paoli et al., “Protein supplementation in strength and conditioning adepts: knowledge, dietary behavior and practice in Palermo, Italy,” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, vol. 8, no. 1, p. 25, 2011.
- H. H. Tian, W. S. Ong, and C. L. Tan, “Nutritional supplement use among university athletes in Singapore,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 2009.
- S. S. Jonnalagadda, C. A. Rosenbloom, and R. Skinner, “Dietary practices, attitudes, and physiological status of collegiate freshman football players,” The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 507–513, 2001.
- P. Hespel, R. J. Maughan, and P. L. Greenhaff, “Dietary supplements for football,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 749–761, 2006.
- D. Bishop, “Dietary supplements and team-sport performance,” Sports Medicine, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 995–1017, 2010.
- A. Dickson, The Benefits of Nutritional Supplements: Executive Summary and Call to Action, Council for Responsible Nutrition, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
- SAFF, “Saudi Arabian Football Federation. Saudi Professional League. Saudi Arabia, Riyadh,” 2013, http://www.thesaff.com.sa/.
- M. Dunford, Fundamentals of Sport and Exercise Nutrition, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2010.
- H. Braun, K. Koehler, H. Geyer, J. Kleinert, J. Mester, and W. Schänzer, “Dietary supplement use among elite young German athletes,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 97–109, 2009.
- S. Murphy and Y. Jeanes, “Nutritional knowledge and dietary intakes of young professional football players,” Nutrition and Food Science, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 343–348, 2006.
- K. Froiland, W. Koszewski, J. Hingst, and L. Kopecky, “Nutritional supplement use among college athletes and their sources of information,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 104–120, 2004.
- M. Kristiansen, R. Levy-Milne, S. Barr, and A. Flint, “Dietary supplement use by varsity athletes at a Canadian University,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 195–210, 2005.
- O. Molinero and S. Márquez, “Use of nutritional supplements in sports: risks, knowledge, and behavioural-related factors,” Nutrición Hospitalaria, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 128–134, 2009.
- A. Baylis, D. Cameron-Smith, and L. M. Burke, “Inadvertent doping through supplement use by athletes: assessment and management of the risk in Australia,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 365–383, 2001.
- R. D. Burns, M. R. Schiller, M. A. Merrick, and K. N. Wolf, “Intercollegiate student athlete use of nutritional supplements and the role of athletic trainers and dietitians in nutrition counseling,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 246–249, 2004.
- M. Azizi, A. D. Mali, and E. Tabari, “Study of prevalence of supplement use and knowledge of men national team rowers about doping and side effects,” World Applied Sciences Journal, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 724–728, 2012.
- B. H. Jacobson, C. Sobonya, and J. Ransone, “Nutrition practices and knowledge of college varsity athletes: a follow-up,” The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2001.
- S. O. Aljaloud, D. Song, A. Fraser, and S. Ibrahim, “Microbiological quality of dairy protein supplements sold in Saudi Arabia markets,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 93, supplement 1, 2009.
- S. O. Aljaloud, S. A. Ibrahim, A. Fraser, T. Song, and A. Shabazi, “Microbiological quality and safety of dietary supplements in Saudi Arabia,” Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture, vol. 25, no. 8, 2013.
- S. O. Aljaloud, Understanding the behavior and attitude of professional athletes in saudi arabia toward dietary supplements [Ph.D dissertation], North Carolina A&T State University, Greensboro, NC, USA, 2013.
- J. Sobal and L. F. Marquart, “Vitamin/mineral supplement use among athletes: a review of the literature,” International Journal of Sport Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 320–334, 1994.