- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 636585, 7 pages
Prevalence of Anemia and Associated Factors in Child Bearing Age Women in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1Princess Nora Bint Abdullah Chair for Women’s Health Research, Research Chair Program, King Saud University, P.O. Box 231831, Riyadh 11321, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Family & Community Medicine, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3Gulf Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4Council of Cooperative Health Insurance, Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
6Central Hospital Laboratory, Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Received 31 March 2013; Revised 5 August 2013; Accepted 20 August 2013
Academic Editor: H. K. Biesalski
Copyright © 2013 AlJohara M. AlQuaiz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization Report, “World Prevalence of Anemia 1993–2005. WHO global data base on anemia,” 2013, http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2008/9789241596657_eng.pdf.
- J. M. Al-Quaiz, “Iron deficiency anemia: a study of risk factors,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 490–496, 2001.
- World Health Organization, “Iron Deficiency anemia. Assessment, prevention and control. A guide for program managers,” 2012, http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2001/WHO_NHD_01.3.pdf.
- WHO and UNICEF, “Guidelines for the control of iron deficiency in countries of the Eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, and North Africa,” Report of a Joint WHO/UNICEF Consultation EM/NUT/177, E/G/11. 96, WHO, Tehran, Iran, 1995.
- R. E. Black, L. H. Allen, Z. A. Bhutta et al., “Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9608, pp. 243–260, 2008.
- X. Xiong, P. Buekens, S. Alexander, N. Demianczuk, and E. Wollast, “Anemia during pregnancy and birth outcome: a meta-analysis,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 137–146, 2000.
- A. Lartey, “Maternal and child nutrition in Sub-Saharan Africa: challenges and interventions,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 105–108, 2008.
- L. H. Allen, “Biological mechanisms that might underlie iron's effects on fetal growth and preterm birth,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 581–589, 2001.
- Q. Zhang, C. V. Ananth, G. G. Rhoads, and Z. Li, “The impact of maternal Anemia on perinatal mortality: a population-based, prospective cohort study in China,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 793–799, 2009.
- B. J. Brabin, Z. Premji, and F. Verhoeff, “An analysis of anemia and child mortality,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 636–645, 2001.
- R. J. Stoltzfus, L. C. Mullany, and R. E. Black, Iron Deficiency Anemia, Comparative Quantification of Health Risks, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2004.
- T. O. Scholl, “Iron status during pregnancy: setting the stage for mother and infant,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 1218–1222, 2005.
- S. Killip, J. M. Bennett, and M. D. Chambers, “Iron deficiency anemia,” American Family Physician, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 671–678, 2007.
- F. A. Sayes, M. Gari, S. Qusti, N. Bagatian, and A. Abuzenadah, “Prevalence of iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia among females at university stage,” Journal of Medical Laboratory and Diagnosis, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 5–11, 2011.
- S. S. Elzahrani, “Prevalence of Iron deficiency anemia among pregnant women attending antenatal clinics at Al-Hada hospital,” Canadian Journal on Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 2012.
- A. A. Mahfouz, M. M. el-Said, W. Alakija, I. A. Badawi, R. A. al-Erian, and M. A. Moneim, “Anemia among pregnant women in the Asir region, Saudi Arabia: an epidemiologic study,” The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 84–87, 1994.
- A. Verster and J. Pols, “Anaemia in the mediterranean region,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 1, pp. 64–79, 1995.
- J. M. Alquaiz, H. M. Abdulghani, R. A. Khawaja, and S. Shaffi-Ahamed, “Accuracy of various iron parameters inthe prediction of iron deficiency anemia among healthy women of childBearing age, Saudi Arabia,” Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 397–401, 2012.
- A. M. Heath, C. Murray Skeaff, S. Williams, and R. S. Gibson, “The role of blood loss and diet in the aetiology of mild iron deficiency in premenopausal adult New Zealand women,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 197–206, 2001.
- C. Geissler and M. Singh, “Iron, meat and health,” Nutrients, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 283–316, 2011.
- A. Bhargava, H. E. Bouis, and N. S. Scrimshaw, “Dietary intakes and socioeconomic factors are associated with the hemoglobin concentration of Bangladeshi women,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 758–764, 2001.
- M. E. Cogswell, I. Parvanta, L. Ickes, R. Yip, and G. M. Brittenham, “Iron supplementation during pregnancy, anemia, and birth weight: a randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 773–781, 2003.
- N. Hovdenak and K. Haram, “Influence of mineral and vitamin supplements on pregnancy outcome,” European Journal of Obstetric Gynecology Reproductive Biology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 2012.
- S. Vandevijvere, S. Amsalkhir, H. V. Oyen, E. Ines, and R. Moreno-Reyes, “Iron status and its determinants in a nationally representative sample of pregnant women,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 659–666, 2013.
- J. P. Peña-Rosas, L. M. De-Regil, T. Dowswell, and F. E. Viteri, “Daily oral iron supplementation during pregnancy,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 12, no. 12, Article ID CD004736, 2006.