- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 708381, 7 pages
Pomegranate Polyphenols Lower Lipid Peroxidation in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes but Have No Effects in Healthy Volunteers: A Pilot Study
1Department of Nutritional Sciences, College of Human Sciences, 301 Human Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078-6141, USA
2Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Received 31 March 2013; Accepted 22 June 2013
Academic Editor: Maria Luz Fernandez
Copyright © 2013 Arpita Basu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. P. Seeram, M. Aviram, Y. Zhang et al., “Comparison of antioxidant potency of commonly consumed polyphenol-rich beverages in the United States,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1415–1422, 2008.
- A. Basu and K. Penugonda, “Pomegranate juice: a heart-healthy fruit juice,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2009.
- D. Heber, “Pomegranate ellagitannins,” in Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects, I. F. F. Benzie and S. Wachtel-Galor, Eds., Chapter 10, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2011.
- M. Aviram and L. Dornfeld, “Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 195–198, 2001.
- M. Aviram, M. Rosenblat, D. Gaitini et al., “Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 423–433, 2004.
- M. Rosenblat, T. Hayek, and M. Aviram, “Anti-oxidative effects of pomegranate juice (PJ) consumption by diabetic patients on serum and on macrophages,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 363–371, 2006.
- M. H. Davidson, K. C. Maki, M. R. Dicklin et al., “Effects of consumption of pomegranate juice on carotid intima-media thickness in men and women at moderate risk for coronary heart disease,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 936–942, 2009.
- M. Aviram, L. Dornfeld, M. Rosenblat et al., “Pomegranate juice consumption reduces oxidative stress, atherogenic modifications to LDL, and platelet aggregation: studies in humans and in atherosclerotic apolipoprotein E-deficient mice,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1062–1076, 2000.
- O. Martínez-Augustin, C. M. Aguilera, M. Gil-Campos, F. Sánchez de Medina, and A. Gil, “Bioactive anti-obesity food components,” International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 148–156, 2012.
- S. Medjakovic and A. Jungbauer, “Pomegranate: a fruit that ameliorates metabolic syndrome,” Food & Function, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 19–39, 2013.
- D. Heber, N. P. Seeram, H. Wyatt et al., “Safety and antioxidant activity of a pomegranate ellagitannin-enriched polyphenol dietary supplement in overweight individuals with increased waist size,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 24, pp. 10050–10054, 2007.
- American Diabetes Association, “Standards of medical care in diabetes—2013,” Diabetes Care, vol. 36, supplement 1, pp. S11–S66, 2013.
- N. P. Seeram, R. Lee, and D. Heber, “Bioavailability of ellagic acid in human plasma after consumption of ellagitannins from pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) juice,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 348, no. 1-2, pp. 63–68, 2004.
- A. B. Crujeiras, A. Díaz-Lagares, M. C. Carreira, M. Amil, and F. F. Casanueva, “Oxidative stress associated to dysfunctional adipose tissue: a potential link between obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus and breast cancer,” Free Radical Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 243–256, 2013.
- R. L. Nahin, D. Byrd-Clark, B. J. Stussman, and N. Kalyanaraman, “Disease severity is associated with the use of complementary medicine to treat or manage type-2 diabetes: data from the 2002 and 2007 National Health Interview Survey,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 12, article 193, 2012.
- W. Rock, M. Rosenblat, R. Miller-Lotan, A. P. Levy, M. Elias, and M. Aviram, “Consumption of Wonderful variety pomegranate juice and extract by diabetic patients increases paraoxonase 1 association with high-density lipoprotein and stimulates its catalytic activities,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 18, pp. 8704–8713, 2008.
- A. Esmaillzadeh, F. Tahbaz, I. Gaieni, H. Alavi-Majd, and L. Azadbakht, “Cholesterol-lowering effect of concentrated pomegranate juice consumption in type II diabetic patients with hyperlipidemia,” International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 147–151, 2006.
- A. Kutan Fenercioglu, T. Saler, E. Genc, H. Sabuncu, and Y. Altuntas, “The effects of polyphenol-containing antioxidants on oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation in Type 2 diabetes mellitus without complications,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 118–124, 2010.
- R. B. Van Breemen, H. H. S. Fong, and N. R. Farnsworth, “Ensuring the safety of botanical dietary supplements,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 509S–513S, 2008.
- A. J. Pantuck, J. T. Leppert, N. Zomorodian et al., “Phase II study of pomegranate juice for men with rising prostate-specific antigen following surgery or radiation for prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 13, pp. 4018–4026, 2006.
- C. J. Paller, X. Ye, P. J. Wozniak et al., “A randomized phase II study of pomegranate extract for men with rising PSAfollowing initial therapy for localized prostate cancer,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 50–55, 2013.
- A. Lynn, H. Hamadeh, W. C. Leung, J. M. Russell, and M. E. Barker, “Effects of pomegranate juice supplementation on pulse wave velocity and blood pressure in healthy young and middle-aged men and women,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 309–314, 2012.
- A. S. Mathew, G. M. Capel-Williams, S. E. Berry, and W. L. Hall, “Acute effects of pomegranate extract on postprandial lipaemia, vascular function and blood pressure,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 351–357, 2012.