- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 765383, 7 pages
Gynostemma pentaphyllum Tea Improves Insulin Sensitivity in Type 2 Diabetic Patients
1Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
2Hanoi Medical University, Hanoi 1000, Vietnam
3Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, National Institute of Gerontology, Hanoi 1000, Vietnam
4Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2, Canada
Received 10 July 2012; Revised 6 December 2012; Accepted 11 December 2012
Academic Editor: Maurizio Muscaritoli
Copyright © 2013 V. T. T. Huyen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Wild, G. Roglic, A. Green, R. Sicree, and H. King, “Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1047–1053, 2004.
- P. E. H. Schwarz, J. Schwarz, S. R. Bornstein, and J. Schulze, “Diabetes prevention—from physiology to implementation,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 460–464, 2006.
- R. R. Koski, “Practical review of oral antihyperglycemic agents for type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Educator, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 869–876, 2006.
- N. M. Hadler, “Oral hypoglycemics and diabetic nephropathy,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 159–162, 2008.
- C. J. Rosen, “Revisiting the rosiglitazone story—lessons learned,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 9, pp. 803–806, 2010.
- G. Y. Yeh, D. M. Eisenberg, T. J. Kaptchuk, and R. S. Phillips, “Systematic review of herbs and dietary supplements for glycemic control in diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1277–1294, 2003.
- N. K. Hoa, D. V. Phan, N. D. Thuan, and C. G. Östenson, “Screening of the hypoglycemic effect of eight Vietnamese herbal drugs,” Methods and Findings in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 165–169, 2009.
- A. Norberg, K. H. Nguyen, E. Liepinsh et al., “A novel insulin-releasing substance, phanoside, from the plant Gynostemma pentaphyllum,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 40, pp. 41361–41367, 2004.
- N. K. Hoa, A. Norberg, R. Sillard et al., “The possible mechanisms by which phanoside stimulates insulin secretion from rat islets,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 389–394, 2007.
- V. T. T. Huyen, D. V. Phan, P. Thang, N. K. Hoa, and C. G. Östenson, “Antidiabetic effect of Gynostemma pentaphyllum tea in randomly assigned type 2 diabetic patients,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 353–357, 2010.
- V. T. T. Huyen, D. V. Phan, P. Thang, N. K. Hoa, and C. G. Ostenson, “Antidiabetic effect of add-on Gynostemma pentaphyllum tea therapy with sulfonylureas in randomly assigned type 2 diabetic patients,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 452313, 7 pages, 2012.
- S. Megalli, N. M. Davies, and B. D. Roufogalis, “Anti-hyperlipidemic and hypoglycemic effects of Gynostemma pentaphyllum in the Zucker fatty rat,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 281–291, 2006.
- Department of Material Medica, Hanoi College of Pharmacy, vol. 1, Textbook of Material Medica, 2006.
- Department of Material Medica, Hanoi College of Pharmacy, vol. 1, Guideline of Material Medica Practice, 2006.
- World Health Organization, WHO. Definition, Diagnosis, and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus and Its Complications: Report of a WHO Consultation. PArt 1: Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus, Geneva, Switzerland, 1999.
- Y. Harano, S. Ohgaku, and H. Hidaka, “Glucose, insulin and somatostatin infusion for the determination of insulin sensitivity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1124–1127, 1977.
- V. Grill, J. Pigon, S. G. Hartling, C. Binder, and S. Efendic, “Effects of dexamethasone on glucose-induced insulin and proinsulin release in low and high insulin responders,” Metabolism, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 251–258, 1990.
- J. Pigon, J. Karlsson, and C. G. Ostenson, “Physical fitness and insulin sensitivity in human subjects with a low insulin response to glucose,” Clinical Science, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 187–192, 1994.
- V. Herbert, K. S. Lau, C. W. Gottlieb, and S. J. Bleicher, “Coated charcoal immunoassay of insulin,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1375–1384, 1965.
- K. P. Ratzmann, W. Besch, S. Witt, and B. Schulz, “Evaluation of insulin resistance during inhibition of endogenous insulin and glucagon secretion by somatostatin in non-obese subjects with impaired glucose tolerance,” Diabetologia, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 192–197, 1981.
- G. M. Reaven, “Insulin resistance in noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Does it exist and can it be measured?” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 3–17, 1983.
- T. M. Hung, D. M. Hoang, J. C. Kim, H. S. Jang, J. S. Ahn, and B. S. Min, “Protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B inhibitory by dammaranes from Vietnamese Giao-Co-Lam tea,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 240–245, 2009.
- M. Roghani and T. Baluchnejadmojarad, “Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effect and antioxidant activity of chronic epigallocatechin-gallate in streptozotocin-diabetic rats,” Pathophysiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2010.
- H. Tsuneki, M. Ishizuka, M. Terasawa, J. B. Wu, T. Sasaoka, and I. Kimura, “Effect of green tea on blood glucose levels and serum proteomic patterns in diabetic (db/db) mice and on glucose metabolism in healthy humans,” BMC Pharmacology, vol. 4, article 18, 2004.
- R. Nahas and M. Moher, “Complementary and alternative medicine for the treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 591–596, 2009.
- A. Attawish, S. Chivapat, S. Phadungpat et al., “Chronic toxicity of Gynostemma pentaphyllum,” Fitoterapia, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 539–551, 2004.