- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Research Letters in Nanotechnology
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 156358, 5 pages
Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes as Fluorescence Biosensors for Pathogen Recognition in Water Systems
1Department of Chemical Engineering, New Mexico State University, P.O. Box 30001, MSC 3805, Las Cruces, NM 88003, USA
2Microbiology & Applied Biochemistry, Airbase Sciences Branch AFRL/RXQL, 139 Barnes Drive, Suite 2, Tyndall AFB, FL 32403, USA
3Department of Biology, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
4Research Technologies Section (RTB), Rocky Mountain Laboratories (NIAID, NIH), Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
5Department of Biology, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM 88003, USA
Received 6 March 2008; Accepted 25 April 2008
Academic Editor: Ram B. Gupta
Copyright © 2008 Venkata K. K. Upadhyayula et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Nuzzo, “The biological threat to U.S. water supplies: toward a national water security policy,” Biosecurity and Bioterrorism, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 147–159, 2006.
- A. Horman, Assessment of microbial safety of drinking water produced from surface water under field conditions, Ph.D. thesis, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, 2005.
- M. N. B. Momba, R. Kfir, S. N. Venter, and T. E. Cloete, “An overview of biofilm formation in distribution systems and its impact on the deterioration of water quality,” Water SA, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2000.
- S. Deng, V. K. K. Upadhyayula, G. B. Smith, and M. C. Mitchell, “Adsorption equilibria and kinetics of bacteria on single-wall carbon nanotubes,” to appear in IEEE Sensors Journal.
- V. K. K. Upadhyayula, S. Deng, G. B. Smith, and M. C. Mitchell, “Adsorption of Bacillus subtilis on single-walled carbon nanotube aggregates, activated carbon, and ,” submitted to Water Research.
- A. Srivastava, O. N. Srivastava, S. Talapatra, R. Vajtai, and P. M. Ajayan, “Carbon nanotube filters,” Nature Materials, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 610–614, 2004.
- S. Kang, M. Pinault, L. D. Pfefferle, and M. Elimelech, “Single-walled carbon nanotubes exhibit strong antimicrobial activity,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 17, pp. 8670–8673, 2007.
- S. B. Lee, R. Koepsel, D. B. Stolz, H. E. Warriner, and A. J. Russell, “Self-assembly of biocidal nanotubes from a single-chain diacetylene amine salt,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 126, no. 41, pp. 13400–13405, 2004.
- K. Ramanathan, M. A. Bangar, M. Yun, W. Chen, N. V. Myung, and A. Mulchandani, “Bioaffinity sensing using biologically functionalized conducting-polymer nanowire,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 496–497, 2005.
- L. Gu, T. Elkin, X. Jiang, et al., “Single-walled carbon nanotubes displaying multivalent ligands for capturing pathogens,” Chemical Communications, no. 7, pp. 874–876, 2005.
- T. Elkin, X. Jiang, S. Taylor, et al., “Immuno-carbon nanotubes and recognition of pathogens,” ChemBioChem, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 640–643, 2005.
- T. S. Huang, Y. Tzeng, Y. K. Liu, et al., “Immobilization of antibodies and bacterial binding on nanodiamond and carbon nanotubes for biosensor applications,” Diamond and Related Materials, vol. 13, no. 4–8, pp. 1098–1102, 2004.
- Z. Xu, P. Hu, S. Wang, and X. Wang, “Biological functionalization and fluorescent imaging of carbon nanotubes,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 254, no. 7, pp. 1915–1918, 2008.
- R. Sirdeshmukh, K. Teker, and B. Panchapakesan, “Biological functionalization of carbon nanotubes,” in Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, vol. 823, Boston, Mass, USA, November-December 2004.