- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 167128, 6 pages
Henna (Lawsonia inermis L.) Dye-Sensitized Nanocrystalline Titania Solar Cell
1Department of Physics, College of Science, University of Bahrain, P.O. Box 32038, Bahrain
2College of Graduate Studies and Research, Ahlia University, P.O. Box 10878, Bahrain
3Department of Chemistry, University of Bahrain, P.O. Box 32038, Bahrain
Received 15 June 2011; Revised 21 October 2011; Accepted 24 October 2011
Academic Editor: Thomas Stergiopoulos
Copyright © 2012 Khalil Ebrahim Jasim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Hara and H. Arakawa, “Dye-sensitized solar cells,” in Handbook of Photovoltaic Science and Engineering, A. Luque and S. Hegedus, Eds., chapter 15, p. 663, John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- J. Zhao, A. Wang, and M. A. Green, “24.5% efficiency silicon PERT cells on MCZ substrates and 24.7% efficiency PERL cells on FZ substrates,” Progress in Photovoltaics, vol. 7, pp. 471–274, 1999.
- M. I. Hoffert, K. Caldeira, A. K. Jain et al., “Energy implications of future stabilization of atmospheric CO2 content,” Nature, vol. 395, no. 6705, pp. 881–884, 1998.
- B. O'Regan and M. Grätzel, “A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films,” Nature, vol. 353, no. 6346, pp. 737–740, 1991.
- M. K. Nazerruddin, A. Kay, I. Ridicio, et al., “Conversion of light to electricity by cis-X2bis(2,2'-bipyridyl-4,4'-dicarboxylate)ruthenium(II) charge-transfer sensitizers (X = , , , , and ) on nanocrystalline TiO2 electrodes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 115, pp. 6382–6390, 1993.
- M. Law, L. E. Greene, J. C. Johnson, R. Saykally, and P. Yang, “Nanowire dye-sensitized solar cells,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 455–459, 2005.
- M. Yang, D. W. Thompson, and G. J. Meyer, “Dual sensitization pathways for TiO2 by Na2[Fe(bpy)(CN)4],” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 17, pp. 3738–3739, 2000.
- G. M. Hasselmann and G. J. Meyer, “Sensitization of nanocrystalline TiO2 by Re(I) polypyridyl compounds,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 1999.
- A. Islam, K. Hara, L. P. Singh et al., “Dual electron injection from charge-transfer excited states of TiO2-anchored Ru(II)-4,4'-dicarboxy-2,2'-biquinoline complex,” Chemistry Letters, no. 5, pp. 490–491, 2000.
- G. P. Smestad, “Education and solar conversion: demonstrating electron transfer,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 55, no. 1-2, pp. 157–178, 1998.
- C. G. Garcia, A. S. Polo, and N. Y. Iha, “Fruit extracts and ruthenium polypyridinic dyes for sensitization of TiO2 in photoelectrochemical solar cells,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology. A, vol. 160, no. 1-2, pp. 87–91, 2003.
- Y. Amao and T. Komori, “Bio-photovoltaic conversion device using chlorine-e6 derived from chlorophyll from Spirulina adsorbed on a nanocrystalline TiO2 film electrode,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 843–847, 2004.
- S. Yanagida, G. K. R. Senadeera, K. Nakamura, T. Kitamura, and Y. Wada, “Recent research progress of dye-sensitized solar cells in Japan,” Comptes Rendus Chimie, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 597–604, 2006.
- S. Hao, J. Wu, Y. Huang, and J. Lin, “Natural dyes as photosensitizers for dye-sensitized solar cell,” Solar Energy, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 209–214, 2006.
- A. S. Polo and N. Y. Iha, “Blue sensitizers for solar cells: natural dyes from Calafate and Jaboticaba,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 90, no. 13, pp. 1936–1944, 2006.
- G. R. A. Kumara, S. Kaneko, M. Okuya, B. Onwona-Agyeman, A. Konno, and K. Tennakone, “Shiso leaf pigments for dye-sensitized solid-state solar cell,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 1220–1226, 2006.
- K. E. Jasim and A. M. Hassan, “Nanocrystalline TiO2 based natural dye sensitized solar cells,” International Journal of Nanomanufacturing, vol. 4, no. 1–4, pp. 242–247, 2009.
- K. E. Jasim, S. Al-Dallal, and A. M. Hassan, “Natural dye-sensitised photovoltaic cell based on nanoporous TiO2,” International Journal of Nanoparticles, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 359–368, 2011.
- K. E. Jasim, “Dye sensitised solar cells—working principles, challenges and opportunities,” in Solar Cells/Book 2, INTECH, 2011.
- K. Tennakone, G. Kumara, I. Kottegota, and K. Wijayantha, “The photostability of dye-sensitized solid state photovoltaic cells: factors determining the stability of the pigment in a nanoporous n-Tio2/cyanidin/p-CuI cell,” Semiconductor Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 1, p. 128, 1997.
- N. J. Cherepy, G. P. Smestad, M. Gratzel, and J. Z. Zhang, “Ultrafast electron injection: implications for a photoelectrochemical cell utilizing an anthocyanin dye-sensitized TiO2 nanocrystalline electrode,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 45, pp. 9342–9351, 1997.
- H. E. Harding, E. T. Hoke, P. B. Armstrong et al., “Increased light harvesting in dye-sensitized solar cells with energy relay dyes,” Nature Photonics, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 406–411, 2009.
- S. Yanagida, “Recent research progress of dye-sensitized solar cells in Japan,” Comptes Rendus Chimie, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 597–604, 2006.
- K. Tennakone, V. P. S. Perera, I. R. M. Kottegoda, and G. R. R. A. Kumara, “Dye-sensitized solid state photovoltaic cell based on composite zinc oxide/tin (IV) oxide films,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 374–379, 1999.
- M. Matsumoto, Y. Wada, T. Kitamura et al., “Fabrication of solid-state dye-sensitized TiO2 solar cell using polymer electrolyte,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 387–393, 2001.
- V. Noack, H. Weller, and A. Eychmüller, “Electron transport in particulate ZnO electrodes: a simple approach,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 34, pp. 8514–8523, 2002.
- N. Kopidakis, K. D. Benkstein, J. van de Lagemaat, and A. J. Frank, “Transport-limited recombination of photocarriers in dye-sensitized nanocrystalline TiO2 solar cells,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 41, pp. 11307–11315, 2003.
- J. H. Xiang, P. X. Zhu, Y. Masuda, M. Okuya, S. Kaneko, and K. Koumoto, “Flexible solar-cell from zinc oxide nanocrystalline sheets self-assembled by an in-situ electrodeposition process,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1797–1801, 2006.
- I. Robel, B. A. Bunker, and P. V. Kamat, “Single-walled carbon nanotube-CdS nanocomposites as light-harvesting assemblies: photoinduced charge-transfer interactions,” Advanced Materials, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 2458–2463, 2005.
- T. Hasobe, S. Fukuzumi, and P. V. Kamat, “Organized assemblies of single wall carbon nanotubes and porphyrin for photochemical solar cells: charge injection from excited porphyrin into single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 50, pp. 25477–25484, 2006.
- J. Krüger, R. Plass, M. Grätzel, P. J. Cameron, and L. M. Peter, “Charge transport and back reaction in solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells: a study using intensity-modulated photovoltage and photocurrent spectroscopy,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 31, pp. 7536–7539, 2003.
- E. Stathatos, P. Lianos, A. S. Vuk, and B. Orel, “Optimization of a quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized photoelectrochemical solar cell employing a ureasil/sulfolane gel electrolyte,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 45–48, 2004.