- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 212486, 7 pages
Investigating the Effect of In Ovo Injection of Silver Nanoparticles on Fat Uptake and Development in Broiler and Layer Hatchlings
1Department of Veterinary Clinical and Animal Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Groennegaardsvej 7, 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
2Department of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Ciszewskiego 8, 02-786 Warsaw, Poland
Received 9 March 2012; Accepted 3 September 2012
Academic Editor: Steven Li
Copyright © 2012 Lane Pineda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Noble and M. Cocchi, “Lipid metabolism and the neonatal chicken,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 107–140, 1990.
- B. K. Speake, A. M. B. Murray, and R. C. Noble, “Transport and transformations of yolk lipids during development of the avian embryo,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 1–32, 1998.
- J. E. De Oliveira, Z. Uni, and P. R. Ferket, “Important metabolic pathways in poultry embryos prior to hatch,” World's Poultry Science Journal, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 488–499, 2008.
- E. T. Moran Jr., “Nutrition of the developing embryo and hatchling,” Poultry Science, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1043–1049, 2007.
- M. K. Stock and J. Metcalfe, “Stimulation of growth of the chick embryo by acute hyperoxia,” Respiration Physiology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 351–358, 1984.
- Z. Uni and R. P. Ferket, “Methods for early nutrition and their potential,” World's Poultry Science Journal, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 101–111, 2004.
- L. Pineda, E. Sawosz, A. Hotowy et al., “Effect of nanoparticles of silver and gold on metabolic rate and development of broiler and layer embryos,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, vol. 161, no. 3, pp. 315–319, 2012.
- M. Sato, T. Tachibana, and M. Furuse, “Heat production and lipid metabolism in broiler and layer chickens during embryonic development,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 382–388, 2006.
- S. Druyan, “The effects of genetic line (broilers vs. layers) on embryo development,” Poultry Science, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 1457–1467, 2010.
- L. Yadgary, A. Cahaner, O. Kedar, and Z. Uni, “Yolk sac nutrient composition and fat uptake in late-term embryos in eggs from young and old broiler breeder hens,” Poultry Science, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 2441–2452, 2010.
- A. Chwalibog, A. H. Tauson, A. Ali, C. Matthiesen, K. Thorhauge, and G. Thorbek, “Gas exchange, heat production and oxidation of fat in chicken embryos from a fast or slow growing line,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 305–309, 2007.
- E. Brouwer, “Report of sub-committee on constants and factors,” in Energy Metabolism in Farm Animals, EAAP Publication, K. L. Blaxter, Ed., vol. 11, pp. 441–443, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- A. Chwalibog, E. Sawosz, A. Hotowy et al., “Visualization of interaction between inorganic nanoparticles and bacteria or fungi,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1085–1094, 2010.
- A. Lourens, R. Molenaar, H. Van Den Brand, M. J. W. Heetkamp, R. Meijerhof, and B. Kemp, “Effect of egg size on heat production and the transition of energy from egg to hatchling,” Poultry Science, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 770–776, 2006.
- R. M. Gous, “Nutritional limitations on growth and development in poultry,” Livestock Science, vol. 130, no. 1–3, pp. 25–32, 2010.
- A. Nangsuay, Y. Ruangpanit, R. Meijerhof, and S. Attamangkune, “Yolk absorption and embryo development of small and large eggs originating from young and old breeder hens,” Poultry Science, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 2648–2655, 2011.
- O. Janke, B. Tzschentke, and M. Boerjan, “Comparative investigations of heat production and body temperature in embryos of modern chicken breeds,” Avian and Poultry Biology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 191–196, 2004.
- E. E. O'Dea, G. M. Fasenko, J. J. R. Feddes et al., “Investigating the eggshell conductance and embryonic metabolism of modern and unselected domestic avian genetic strains at two flock ages,” Poultry Science, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 2059–2070, 2004.
- L. De Smit, K. Tona, V. Bruggeman et al., “Comparison of three lines of broilers differing in ascites susceptibility or growth rate. 2. Egg weight loss, gas pressures, embryonic heat production, and physiological hormone levels,” Poultry Science, vol. 84, no. 9, pp. 1446–1452, 2005.
- E. Sawosz, M. Grodzik, M. Zielinska, T. Niemiec, B. Olszanska, and A. Chwalibog, “Nanoparticles of silver do not affect growth, development and DNA oxidative damage in chicken embryos,” Archiv für Geflügelkunde, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 208–213, 2009.
- J. A. Hamidu, G. M. Fasenko, J. J. R. Feddes et al., “The effect of broiler breeder genetic strain and parent flock age on eggshell conductance and embryonic metabolism,” Poultry Science, vol. 86, no. 11, pp. 2420–2432, 2007.
- L. J. F. Van De Ven, A. V. Van Wagenberg, M. Debonne, E. Decuypere, B. Kemp, and H. Van Den Brand, “Hatching system and time effects on broiler physiology and posthatch growth,” Poultry Science, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 1267–1275, 2011.
- E. Sawosz and M. Grodzik, “The influence of silver nanoparticles on chicken embryo development and bursa of Fabricius morphology,” Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences, vol. 15, supplement 1, pp. 111–114, 2006.
- E. Sawosz, M. Binek, M. Grodzik et al., “Influence of hydrocolloidal silver nanoparticles on gastrointestinal microflora and morphology of enterocytes of quails,” Archives of Animal Nutrition, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 444–451, 2007.
- M. Fondevila, R. Herrer, M. C. Casallas, L. Abecia, and J. J. Ducha, “Silver nanoparticles as a potential antimicrobial additive for weaned pigs,” Animal Feed Science and Technology, vol. 150, no. 3-4, pp. 259–269, 2009.
- T. N. Chamblee, J. D. Brake, C. D. Schultz, and J. P. Thaxton, “Yolk sac absorption and initiation of growth in broilers,” Poultry science, vol. 71, no. 11, pp. 1811–1816, 1992.