- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 297560, 7 pages
Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering of Bacteria in Microwells Constructed from Silver Nanoparticles
1Genetics and Bioengineering Department, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Yeditepe University, Istanbul 34755, Turkey
2Acıbadem University, School of Medicine, Department of Infectious Diseases, Büyükdere Cad. No. 40, Maslak, Istanbul 34457, Turkey
Received 2 February 2012; Revised 19 April 2012; Accepted 1 May 2012
Academic Editor: Nickolay Lavrik
Copyright © 2012 Mustafa Çulha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Holt and T. M. Cotton, “Surface-enhanced resonance Raman and electrochemical investigation of Glucose Oxidase catalysis at a silver electrode,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 2815–2821, 1989.
- S. Efrima and B. V. Bronk, “Silver colloids impregnating or coating bacteria,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 102, no. 31, pp. 5947–5950, 1998.
- L. Zeiri, B. V. Bronk, Y. Shabtai, J. Eichler, and S. Efrima, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy as a tool for probing specific biochemical components in bacteria,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2004.
- L. Zeiri and S. Efrima, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy of bacteria: the effect of excitation wavelength and chemical modification of the colloidal milieu,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 36, no. 6-7, pp. 667–675, 2005.
- A. Sengupta, M. L. Laucks, and E. James Davis, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy of bacteria and pollen,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1016–1023, 2005.
- A. Sengupta, M. Mujacic, and E. J. Davis, “Detection of bacteria by surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 386, no. 5, pp. 1379–1386, 2006.
- M. L. Laucks, A. Sengupta, K. Junge, E. J. Davis, and B. D. Swanson, “Comparison of psychro-active arctic marine bacteria and common mesophillic bacteria using surface-enhanced raman spectroscopy,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 1222–1228, 2005.
- R. M. Jarvis and R. Goodacre, “Discrimination of bacteria using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 2004.
- R. M. Jarvis, A. Brooker, and R. Goodacre, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy for bacterial discrimination utilizing a scanning electron microscope with a Raman spectroscopy interface,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 17, pp. 5198–5202, 2004.
- W. R. Premasiri, D. T. Moir, M. S. Klempner, N. Krieger, G. Jones, and L. D. Ziegler, “Characterization of the surface enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) of bacteria,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 312–320, 2005.
- M. Kahraman, M. M. Yazici, F. Şahin, Ö. F. Bayrak, and M. Çulha, “Reproducible surface-enhanced Raman scattering spectra of bacteria on aggregated silver nanoparticles,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 479–485, 2007.
- M. Kahraman, M. M. Yazici, F. Şahin, and M. Çulha, “Experimental parameters influencing surface-enhanced Raman scattering of bacteria,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 12, no. 5, Article ID 054015, 2007.
- M. Kahraman, M. M. Yazici, F. Şahin, and M. Çulha, “Convective assembly of bacteria for surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 894–901, 2008.
- N. D. Denkov, O. D. Velev, P. A. Kralchevsky, I. B. Ivanov, H. Yoshimura, and K. Nagayama, “Mechanism of formation of two-dimensional crystals from latex particles on substrates,” Langmuir, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 3183–3190, 1992.
- N. D. Denkov, O. D. Velev, P. A. Kralchevsky, I. B. Ivanov, H. Yoshimura, and K. Nagayama, “Two-dimensional crystallization,” Nature, vol. 361, no. 6407, p. 26, 1993.
- P. M. Tessier, S. D. Christesen, K. K. Ong et al., “On-line spectroscopic characterization of sodium cyanide with nanostructured gold surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy substrates,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 1524–1530, 2002.
- M. Brust, D. Bethell, C. J. Kiely, and D. J. Schiffrin, “Self-assembled gold nanoparticle thin films with nonmetallic optical and electronic properties,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 5425–5429, 1998.
- T. Ung, L. M. Liz-Marzán, and P. Mulvaney, “Gold nanoparticle thin films,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 202, no. 2-3, pp. 119–126, 2002.
- P. M. Tessier, O. D. Velev, A. T. Kalambur, A. M. Lenhoff, J. F. Rabolt, and E. W. Kaler, “Structured metallic films for optical and spectroscopic applications via colloidal crystal templating,” Advanced Materials, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 396–400, 2001.
- P. M. Tessier, O. D. Velev, A. T. Kalambur, J. F. Rabolt, A. M. Lenhoff, and E. W. Kaler, “Assembly of gold nanostructured films templated by colloidal crystals and use in surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 122, no. 39, pp. 9554–9555, 2000.
- P. C. Lee and D. Meisel, “Adsorption and surface-enhanced Raman of dyes on silver and gold sols,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 88, p. 3391, 1982.
- B. G. Prevo and O. D. Velev, “Controlled, rapid deposition of structured coatings from micro- and nanoparticle suspensions,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 2099–2107, 2004.
- S. Efrima and L. Zeiri, “Understanding SERS of bacteria,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 277–288, 2009.
- S. Steward and P. M. Fredericks, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy of peptides and proteins adsorbed on an electrochemically prepared silver surface,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A, vol. 55, p. 1615, 1999.
- K. Maquelin, C. Kirschner, L. P. Choo-Smith et al., “Identification of medically relevant microorganisms by vibrational spectroscopy,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 255–271, 2002.
- R. Keir, D. Sadler, and W. E. Smith, “Preparation of stable, reproducible silver colloids for use as surface-enhanced resonance Raman scattering substrates,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 551–559, 2002.
- K. C. Schuster, I. Reese, E. Urlaub, J. R. Gapes, and B. Lendl, “Multidimensional information on the chemical composition of single bacterial cells by confocal Raman microspectroscopy,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 22, pp. 5529–5534, 2000.
- M. Kahraman, K. Keseroǧlu, and M. Çulha, “On sample preparation for surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) of bacteria and the source of spectral features of the spectra,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 500–506, 2011.
- W. R. Premasiri, Y. Gebregziabher, and L. D. Ziegler, “On the difference between surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) spectra of cell growth media and whole bacterial cells,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 493–499, 2011.
- T. Smith-Palmer, C. Douglas, and P. Fredericks, “Rationalizing the SER spectra of bacteria,” Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 103–106, 2010.