- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 389505, 8 pages
Highly Stable and Active Pt/Nb-TiO2 Carbon-Free Electrocatalyst for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells
1General Motors Global Research and Development Center, Warren, MI 48090-9055, USA
2Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 5B9
3Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique-Énergie, Matériaux et Télécommunications, Université du Québec, Varennes, QC, Canada J3X 1S2
Received 13 March 2012; Accepted 30 May 2012
Academic Editor: Tanaji P. Gujar
Copyright © 2012 Shuhui Sun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Marezio and P. D. Dernier, “The crystal structure of Ti4O7, a member of the homologous series TinO2n−1,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 340–348, 1971.
- R. Borup, J. Meyers, B. Pivovar et al., “Scientific aspects of polymer electrolyte fuel cell durability and degradation,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 107, no. 10, pp. 3904–3951, 2007.
- D. A. Stevens and J. R. Dahn, “Thermal degradation of the support in carbon-supported platinum electrocatalysts for PEM fuel cells,” Carbon, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 179–188, 2005.
- Y. Shao, G. Yin, and Y. Gao, “Understanding and approaches for the durability issues of Pt-based catalysts for PEM fuel cell,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 558–566, 2007.
- M. S. Saha, R. Li, and X. Sun, “High loading and monodispersed Pt nanoparticles on multiwalled carbon nanotubes for high performance proton exchange membrane fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 314–322, 2008.
- T. Ioroi, H. Senoh, S. I. Yamazaki, Z. Siroma, N. Fujiwara, and K. Yasuda, “Stability of corrosion-resistant Magńli-phase Ti4O7-supported PEMFC catalysts at high potentials,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 155, no. 4, pp. B321–B326, 2008.
- T. Ioroi, Z. Siroma, N. Fujiwara, S. I. Yamazaki, and K. Yasuda, “Sub-stoichiometric titanium oxide-supported platinum electrocatalyst for polymer electrolyte fuel cells,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 2005.
- H. Chhina, S. Campbell, and O. Kesler, “An oxidation-resistant indium tin oxide catalyst support for proton exchange membrane fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 893–900, 2006.
- G. Chen, S. R. Bare, and T. E. Mallouk, “Development of supported bifunctional electrocatalysts for unitized regenerative fuel cells,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 149, no. 8, pp. A1092–A1099, 2002.
- H. Chhina, S. Campbell, and O. Kesler, “Ex situ evaluation of tungsten oxide as a catalyst support for PEMFCs,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 154, no. 6, pp. B533–B539, 2007.
- M. S. Saha, M. N. Banis, Y. Zhang et al., “Tungsten oxide nanowires grown on carbon paper as Pt electrocatalyst support for high performance proton exchange membrane fuel cells,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 192, no. 2, pp. 330–335, 2009.
- M. S. Saha, R. Li, M. Cai, and X. Sun, “High electrocatalytic activity of platinum nanoparticles on SnO2 nanowire-based electrodes,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. B130–B133, 2007.
- M. D. Koninck, P. Manseau, and B. Marsan, “Preparation and characterization of Nb-doped TiO2 nanoparticles used as a conductive support for bifunctional CuCo2O4 electrocatalyst,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 611, no. 1-2, pp. 67–79, 2007.
- K. W. Park and K. S. Seol, “Nb-TiO2 supported Pt cathode catalyst for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 2256–2260, 2007.
- M. Cai, Y. Lu, Z. Wu, et al., “Making electrocatalyst supports for fuel cells,” US patent, Application number: 12/716360, 2010.
- H. Chhina, D. Susac, S. Campbell, and O. Kesler, “Transmission electron microscope observation of Pt deposited on Nb-doped titania,” Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. B97–B100, 2009.
- S. J. Tauster, S. C. Fung, and R. L. Garten, “Strong metal-support interactions. Group 8 noble metals supported on TiO2,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 170–175, 1978.
- F. Leroux, P. J. Dewar, M. Intissar, G. Ouvrard, and L. F. Nazar, “Study of the formation of mesoporous titania via a template approach and of subsequent Li insertion,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 3245–3253, 2002.
- E. Traversa, M. L. Di Vona, S. Licoccia et al., “Sol-gel processed TiO2-based nano-sized powders for use in thick-film gas sensors for atmospheric pollutant monitoring,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 22, no. 1-2, pp. 167–179, 2001.
- S. H. Sun, D. Q. Yang, D. Villers, G. X. Zhang, E. Sacher, and J. P. Dodelet, “Template- and surfactant-free room temperature synthesis of self-assembled 3D Pt nanoflowers from single-crystal nanowires,” Advanced Materials, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 571–574, 2008.
- D. Q. Yang, S. Sun, J. P. Dodelet, and E. Sacher, “A facile route for the self-organized high-density decoration of Pt nanoparticles on carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 112, no. 31, pp. 11717–11721, 2008.
- D. Q. Yang, S. H. Sun, H. Meng, J. P. Dodelet, and E. Sacher, “Formation of a porous platinum nanoparticle froth for electrochemical applications, produced without templates, surfactants, or stabilizers,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 20, no. 14, pp. 4677–4681, 2008.
- F. Moulder, W. F. Stickle, P. E. Sobol, and K. D. Bomben, Handbook of X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, Perkin-Elmer, Eden Prairie, Eden Prairie, Minn, USA, 1992, Edited by J. Chastain.
- R. Woods, Electroanalytical Chemistry, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1976, Edited by A. J. Bard.
- J. Zhang, K. Sasaki, E. Sutter, and R. R. Adzic, “Stabilization of platinum oxygen-reduction electrocatalysts using gold clusters,” Science, vol. 315, no. 5809, pp. 220–222, 2007.