- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 401574, 9 pages
TiC Nanoparticle Addition to Enhance the Mechanical Response of Hybrid Magnesium Alloy
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576
2CTO Office, Singapore Technologies Kinetics Ltd (ST Kinetics), 249 Jalan Boon Lay, Singapore 619523
Received 8 August 2011; Revised 29 September 2011; Accepted 3 October 2011
Academic Editor: Jaime Grunlan
Copyright © 2012 Muralidharan Paramsothy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Avedesian and H. Baker, ASM Specialty Handbook: Magnesium and Magnesium Alloys, ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, USA, 1999.
- Y. Morisada, H. Fujii, T. Nagaoka, and M. Fukusumi, “Effect of friction stir processing with SiC particles on microstructure and hardness of AZ31,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 433, no. 1-2, pp. 50–54, 2006.
- Y. Morisada, H. Fujii, T. Nagaoka, and M. Fukusumi, “Nanocrystallized magnesium alloy—uniform dispersion of C60 molecules,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1067–1070, 2006.
- Y. Morisada, H. Fujii, T. Nagaoka, and M. Fukusumi, “MWCNTs/AZ31 surface composites fabricated by friction stir processing,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 419, no. 1-2, pp. 344–348, 2006.
- M. J. Zhao, L. Z. Zhao, B. F. Zhou, and H. Yan, “Fabrication of AZ61-1.0%Y antiburning magnesium semisolid slurry,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. s476–s480, 2010.
- C. J. Lee, J. C. Huang, and P. J. Hsieh, “Mg based nano-composites fabricated by friction stir processing,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1415–1420, 2006.
- X. J. Wang, X. S. Hu, K. Wu et al., “Hot deformation behavior of SiCp/AZ91 magnesium matrix composite fabricated by stir casting,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 492, no. 1-2, pp. 481–485, 2008.
- C. Badini, M. Ferraris, and F. Marchetti, “Interfacial reaction in AZ61/AZ91/P100 Mg/graphite composite: an Auger spectroscopy investigation,” Materials Letters, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 1994.
- D. Vallauri, I. C. Atías Adrián, and A. Chrysanthou, “TiC-TiB2 composites: a review of phase relationships, processing and properties,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1697–1713, 2008.
- A. Contreras, C. Angeles-Chávez, O. Flores, and R. Perez, “Structural, morphological and interfacial characterization of Al-Mg/TiC composites,” Materials Characterization, vol. 58, no. 8-9, pp. 685–693, 2007.
- Y. Chen, Y. C. Wu, F. W. Yu, and J. L. Chen, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of tungsten composites co-strengthened by dispersed TiC and La2O3 particles,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 525–529, 2008.
- J. J. Wang, J. H. Guo, and L. Q. Chen, “TiC/AZ91D composites fabricated by in situ reactive infiltration process and its tensile deformation,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 892–896, 2006.
- L. M. Tham, M. Gupta, and L. Cheng, “Influence of processing parameters during disintegrated melt deposition processing on near net shape synthesis of aluminium based metal matrix composites,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1139–1146, 1999.
- M. Gupta, M. O. Lai, and S. C. Lim, “Regarding the processing associated microstructure and mechanical properties improvement of an Al-4.5 Cu alloy,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 260, no. 1-2, pp. 250–255, 1997.
- M. Paramsothy, S. F. Hassan, N. Srikanth, and M. Gupta, “Adding carbon nanotubes and integrating with AA5052 aluminium alloy core to simultaneously enhance stiffness, strength and failure strain of AZ31 magnesium alloy,” Composites Part A, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1490–1500, 2009.
- B. Q. Han and D. C. Dunand, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of magnesium containing high volume fractions of yttria dispersoids,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 277, no. 1-2, pp. 297–304, 2000.
- N. Eustathopoulos, M. G. Nicholas, and B. Drevet, Wettability at High Temperatures, vol. 3 of Pergamon Materials Series, Pergamon Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- J. D. Gilchrist, Extraction Metallurgy, Pergamon Press, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1989.
- M. Paramsothy, J. Chan, R. Kwok, and M. Gupta, “The effective reinforcement of magnesium alloy ZK60A using Al2O3 nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 4855–4866, 2011.
- M. Gupta, M. O. Lai, and C. Y. Soo, “Effect of type of processing on the micro structural features and mechanical properties of Al-Cu/SiC metal matrix composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 210, no. 1-2, pp. 114–122, 1996.
- S. F. Hassan and M. Gupta, “Effect of particulate size of Al2O3 reinforcement on microstructure and mechanical behavior of solidification processed elemental Mg,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 419, no. 1-2, pp. 84–90, 2006.
- S. F. Hassan and M. Gupta, “Effect of different types of nano-size oxide participates on microstructural and mechanical properties of elemental Mg,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 2229–2236, 2006.
- S. F. Hassan and M. Gupta, “Enhancing physical and mechanical properties of Mg using nanosized Al2O3 particulates as reinforcement,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 2253–2258, 2005.
- C. S. Goh, J. Wei, L. C. Lee, and M. Gupta, “Development of novel carbon nanotube reinforced magnesium nanocomposites using the powder metallurgy technique,” Nanotechnology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2006.
- Z. Száraz, Z. Trojanová, M. Cabbibo, and E. Evangelista, “Strengthening in a WE54 magnesium alloy containing SiC particles,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 462, no. 1-2, pp. 225–229, 2007.
- L. H. Dai, Z. Ling, and Y. L. Bai, “Size-dependent inelastic behavior of particle-reinforced metal-matrix composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 1057–1063, 2001.
- D. Hull and D. J. Bacon, Introduction to Dislocations, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK, 4th edition, 2002.
- H. Y. Wang, Q. C. Jiang, Y. Q. Zhao, F. Zhao, B. X. Ma, and Y. Wang, “Fabrication of TiB2 and TiB2-TiC particulates reinforced magnesium matrix composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 372, no. 1-2, pp. 109–114, 2004.
- H. X. Peng, D. Z. Wang, L. Geng, C. K. Yao, and J. F. Mao, “Evaluation of the microstructure of in-situ reaction processed Al3Ti-Al2O3-Al composite,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 1997.
- V. H. López, A. R. Kennedy, and J. Lemus, “Characterization of the reactivity in Al-10wt.%TiC metal matrix composites by image analysis,” Kovove Materialy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2010.
- K. Satyaprasad, Y. R. Mahajan, and V. V. Bhanuprasad, “Strengthening of Al/20 v/o TiC composites by isothermal heat treatment,” Scripta Metallurgica et Materiala, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 711–716, 1992.
- Z. R. Yang, S. Q. Wang, X. H. Cui, Y. T. Zhao, M. J. Gao, and M. X. Wei, “Formation of Al3Ti/Mg composite by powder metallurgy of Mg-Al-Ti system,” Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, vol. 9, no. 3, Article ID 035005, 2008.
- Y. Ye, P. Li, and L. He, “Valence electron structure analysis of morphologies of Al3Ti and Al3Sc in aluminum alloys,” Intermetallics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 292–297, 2010.
- T. Laser, C. Hartig, M. R. Nürnberg, D. Letzig, and R. Bormann, “The influence of calcium and cerium mischmetal on the microstructural evolution of Mg-3Al-1Zn during extrusion and resulting mechanical properties,” Acta Materialia, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 2791–2798, 2008.
- J. Bohlen, S. B. Yi, J. Swiostek, D. Letzig, H. G. Brokmeier, and K. U. Kainer, “Microstructure and texture development during hydrostatic extrusion of magnesium alloy AZ31,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2005.
- M. Paramsothy, J. Chan, R. Kwok, and M. Gupta, “Addition of CNTs to enhance tensile/compressive response of magnesium alloy ZK60A,” Composites Part A, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 180–188, 2011.
- S. F. Hassan and M. Gupta, “Development of nano-Y2O3 containing magnesium nanocomposites using solidification processing,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 429, no. 1-2, pp. 176–183, 2007.
- D. J. Towle and C. M. Friend, “Comparison of compressive and tensile properties of magnesium based metal matrix composites,” Materials Science and Technology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1993.
- M. Paramsothy, N. Srikanth, S. F. Hassan, and M. Gupta, “Heat-treating below recrystallization temperature to enhance compressive failure strain and work of fracture of magnesium,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 494, no. 1-2, pp. 436–444, 2008.
- M. Paramsothy, S. F. Hassan, N. Srikanth, and M. Gupta, “Enhancement of compressive strength and failure strain in AZ31 magnesium alloy,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 482, no. 1-2, pp. 73–80, 2009.
- R. E. Reed-Hill, Physical Metallurgy Principles, D Van Nostrand, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1964.