- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 429890, 9 pages
Control of Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells by Altering the Geometry of Nanofibers
1Department of Fibre Amenity Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
2Department of Applied Chemistry and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
Received 30 April 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: A. M. Rao
Copyright © 2012 Satoshi Fujita et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Pittenger, A. M. Mackay, S. C. Beck et al., “Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5411, pp. 143–147, 1999.
- F. P. Barry and J. M. Murphy, “Mesenchymal stem cells: clinical applications and biological characterization,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 568–584, 2004.
- C. D. Porada, E. D. Zanjani, and G. Almeida-Porad, “Adult mesenchymal stem cells: a pluripotent population with multiple applications,” Current Stem Cell Research & Therapy, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 365–369, 2006.
- K. Le Blanc and O. Ringdén, “Immunomodulation by mesenchymal stem cells and clinical experience,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 262, no. 5, pp. 509–525, 2007.
- S. E. Hanson, K. A. Gutowski, and P. Hematti, “Clinical applications of mesenchymal stem cells in soft tissue augmentation,” Aesthetic Surgery Journal, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 838–842, 2010.
- A. Sterodimas, J. De Faria, W. E. Correa, and I. Pitanguy, “Tissue engineering in plastic surgery: an up-to-date review of the current literature,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 97–103, 2009.
- F. M. Chen, J. Zhang, M. Zhang, Y. An, F. Chen, and Z. F. Wu, “A review on endogenous regenerative technology in periodontal regenerative medicine,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 31, pp. 7892–7927, 2010.
- R. McBeath, D. M. Pirone, C. M. Nelson, K. Bhadriraju, and C. S. Chen, “Cell shape, cytoskeletal tension, and RhoA regulate stem cell lineage commitment,” Developmental Cell, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 483–495, 2004.
- D. S. W. Benoit, M. P. Schwartz, A. R. Durney, and K. S. Anseth, “Small functional groups for controlled differentiation of hydrogel-encapsulated human mesenchymal stem cells,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 816–823, 2008.
- N. Fujimoto, S. Fujita, T. Tsuji et al., “Microencapsulated feeder cells as a source of soluble factors for expansion of CD34+ hematopoietic stem cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 32, pp. 4795–4805, 2007.
- Q. P. Pham, U. Sharma, and A. G. Mikos, “Electrospinning of polymeric nanofibers for tissue engineering applications: a review,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1197–1211, 2006.
- A. Greiner and J. H. Wendorff, “Electrospinning: a fascinating method for the preparation of ultrathin fibers,” Angewandte Chemie—International Edition, vol. 46, no. 30, pp. 5670–5703, 2007.
- T. J. Sill and H. A. von Recum, “Electrospinning: applications in drug delivery and tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 1989–2006, 2008.
- L. Marinucci, S. Balloni, E. Becchetti et al., “Effects of hydroxyapatite and biostite on osteogenic induction of hMSC,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 640–648, 2010.
- S. Fujita, J. Toguchida, Y. Morita, and H. Iwata, “Clonal analysis of hematopoiesis-supporting activity of human mesenchymal stem cells in association with Jagged1 expression and osteogenic potential,” Cell Transplantation, vol. 17, no. 10-11, pp. 1169–1179, 2008.
- H. N. Yang, J. S. Park, D. G. Woo et al., “C/EBP-α and C/EBP-β-mediated adipogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) using PLGA nanoparticles complexed with poly(ethyleneimmine),” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 25, pp. 5924–5933, 2011.
- C. J. Heffelfinger and R. L. Burton, “X-Ray determination of the crystallite orientation distributions of polyethylene terephthalate films,” Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 47, no. 149, pp. 289–306, 1960.
- S. Fujita, D. Ono, M. Ohshima, and H. Iwata, “Supercritical CO2-assisted embossing for studying cell behaviour on microtextured surfaces,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 34, pp. 4494–4500, 2008.
- M. Stumvoll and H. Häring, “The peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ2 Pro12Ala polymorphism,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 2341–2347, 2002.
- P. Ferré, “The biology of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors: relationship with lipid metabolism and insulin sensitivity,” Diabetes, vol. 53, supplement 1, pp. S43–S50, 2004.
- G. J. Hausman, D. R. Campion, and R. J. Martin, “Search for the adipocyte precursor cell and factors that promote its differentiation,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 657–670, 1980.
- M. D. Lane, F. T. Lin, O. A. MacDougald, and M. Vasseur-Cognet, “Control of adipocyte differentiation by CCAAT/enhancer binding proteinα (C/EBPα),” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 20, supplement 3, pp. S91–S96, 1996.
- J. Parrish-Novak, S. R. Dillon, A. Nelson et al., “Interleukin 21 and its receptor are involved in NK cell expansion and regulation of lymphocyte function,” Nature, vol. 408, no. 6808, pp. 57–63, 2000.
- N. El Haddad, D. Heathcote, R. Moore et al., “Mesenchymal stem cells express serine protease inhibitor to evade the host immune response,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 1176–1183, 2011.
- C. Chiellini, O. Cochet, L. Negroni et al., “Characterization of human mesenchymal stem cell secretome at early steps of adipocyte and osteoblast differentiation,” BMC Molecular Biology, vol. 9, article 26, 2008.
- H. Steiling and S. Werner, “Fibroblast growth factors: key players in epithelial morphogenesis, repair and cytoprotection,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 533–537, 2003.
- J. S. Rubin, H. Osada, P. W. Finch, W. G. Taylor, S. Rudikoff, and S. A. Aaronson, “Purification and characterization of a newly identified growth factor specific for epithelial cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 802–806, 1989.
- R. J. Panos, J. S. Rubin, S. A. Aaronson, and R. J. Mason, “Keratinocyte growth factor and hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor are heparin-binding growth factors for alveolar type II cells in fibroblast-conditioned medium,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 969–977, 1993.
- S. Aguilar, C. J. Scotton, K. McNulty et al., “Bone marrow stem cells expressing keratinocyte growth factor via an inducible lentivirus protects against bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 11, Article ID e8013, 2009.
- M. Pesce and H. R. Schöler, “Oct-4: gatekeeper in the beginnings of mammalian development,” Stem Cells, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 271–278, 2001.
- M. Abu-Remaileh, A. Gerson, M. Farago et al., “Oct-3/4 regulates stem cell identity and cell fate decisions by modulating Wnt/β-catenin signalling,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 29, no. 19, pp. 3236–3248, 2010.
- B. Ganss and A. Jheon, “Zinc finger transcription factors in skeletal development,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 282–297, 2004.