- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 483976, 7 pages
Permeability of Electrospun Superhydrophobic Nanofiber Mats
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325-3906, USA
Received 14 September 2011; Accepted 14 January 2012
Academic Editor: Andrei Kolmakov
Copyright © 2012 Sarfaraz U. Patel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Barthlott and C. Neinhuis, “Purity of the sacred lotus, or escape from contamination in biological surfaces,” Planta, vol. 202, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1997.
- X. Gao and L. Jiang, “Water-repellent legs of water striders,” Nature, vol. 432, no. 7013, p. 36, 2004.
- M. Morra, E. Occhiello, and F. Garbassi, “Contact angle hysteresis in oxygen plasma treated poly(tetrafluoroethylene),” Langmuir, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 872–876, 1989.
- J. Zhang, J. Li, and Y. Han, “Superhydrophobic PTFE surfaces by extension,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1105–1108, 2004.
- H. Yabu and M. Shimomura, “Single-step fabrication of transparent superhydrophobic porous polymer films,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 21, pp. 5231–5234, 2005.
- C. R. Crick and I. P. Parkin, “Preparation and characterisation of super-hydrophobic surfaces,” Chemistry - A European Journal, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 3568–3588, 2010.
- J. W. Krumpfer and T. J. McCarthy, “Contact angle hysteresis: a different view and a trivial recipe for low hysteresis hydrophobic surfaces,” Faraday Discussions, vol. 146, pp. 103–111, 2010.
- D. H. Reneker and A. L. Yarin, “Electrospinning jets and polymer nanofibers,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 2387–2425, 2008.
- S. A. Hosseini and H. V. Tafreshi, “3-D simulation of particle filtration in electrospun nanofibrous filters,” Powder Technology, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 153–160, 2010.
- A. Karchin, F. I. Simonovsky, B. D. Ratner, and J. E. Sanders, “Melt electrospinning of biodegradable polyurethane scaffolds,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 3277–3284, 2011.
- X. Zhou, Y. Qiu, J. Yu, J. Yin, and S. Gao, “Tungsten carbide nanofibers prepared by electrospinning with high electrocatalytic activity for oxygen reduction,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 36, no. 13, pp. 7398–7404, 2011.
- L. Sheng, C. Dajing, and C. Yuquan, “A surface acoustic wave humidity sensor with high sensitivity based on electrospun MWCNT/Nafion nanofiber films,” Nanotechnology, vol. 22, no. 26, Article ID 265504, 7 pages, 2011.
- ImageJ, 2011, http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/index.html.
- D. Li and Y. Xia, “Electrospinning of nanofibers: reinventing the wheel?” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1151–1170, 2004.
- Z. Zhenxin, Morphology and internal structure of polymeric and carbon nanofibers, Ph.D. thesis, The University of Akron, 2011.
- A. B. D. Cassie and S. Baxter, “Wettability of porous surfaces,” Transactions of the Faraday Society, vol. 40, pp. 546–551, 1944.
- J. S. Varabhas, G. G. Chase, and D. H. Reneker, “Electrospun nanofibers from a porous hollow tube,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 19, pp. 4226–4229, 2008.
- N. J. Shirtcliffe, G. McHale, and M. I. Newton, “The superhydrophobicity of polymer surfaces: recent developments,” Journal of Polymer Science, Part B, vol. 49, no. 17, pp. 1203–1217, 2011.
- R. Asmatulu, M. Ceylan, and N. Nuraje, “Study of superhydrophobic electrospun nanocomposite fibers for energy systems,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 504–507, 2011.
- L. Svarovsk, Solid-Liquid Separation, Butterworths, London, UK, 1990.
- S. Kuwabara, “The forces experienced by randomly distributed parallel circular cylinders or spheres in a viscous flow at small reynolds numbers,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 527–532, 1959.
- R. C. Brown, Air Filtration: An Integrated Approach to the Theory and Applications of Fibrous Filters, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1st edition, 1993.
- J. J. Carberry, Chemical and Catalytic Reaction Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1976.