- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 728326, 8 pages
Ultrafine Magnetite Nanopowder: Synthesis, Characterization, and Preliminary Use as Filler of Polymethylmethacrylate Nanocomposites
1Institute of Chemistry and Technology of Polymers, National Research Council of Italy, Via Campi Flegrei, 34-80072 Pozzuoli, Italy
2Departments of Materials and Production Engineering, University of Naples Federico II, Piazzale Tecchio, 80-80125 Naples, Italy
3Institute for Composite and Biomedical Materials, National Research Council of Italy, Piazzale Tecchio, 80-80125 Naples, Italy
4Department of Materials and Environmental Engineering, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Strada Vignolese, 905-41125 Modena, Italy
5Department of Water Engineering and Chemistry, Polytechnic of Bari, Via Orabona, 4-70125 Bari, Italy
Received 5 April 2012; Revised 28 June 2012; Accepted 10 July 2012
Academic Editor: Menka Jain
Copyright © 2012 Pietro Russo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Jing and S. Wu, “Synthesis and characterization of monodisperse hematite nanoparticles modified by surfactants via hydrothermal approach,” Materials Letters, vol. 58, no. 27-28, pp. 3637–3640, 2004.
- Z. Zhong, J. Lin, S. P. Teh, J. Teo, and F. M. Dautzenberg, “A rapid and efficient method to deposit gold particles on catalyst supports and its application for CO oxidation at low temperatures,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1402–1408, 2007.
- A. P. Kozlova, S. Sugiyama, A. I. Kozlov, K. Asakura, and Y. Iwasawa, “Iron-oxide supported gold catalysts derived from gold-phosphine complex Au(PPh3)(NO3): state and structure of the support,” Journal of Catalysis, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 426–438, 1998.
- D. Hradil, T. Grygar, J. Hradilová, and P. Bezdička, “Clay and iron oxide pigments in the history of painting,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 223–236, 2003.
- X. Q. Liu, S. W. Tao, and Y. S. Shen, “Preparation and characterization of nanocrystalline α-Fe2O3 by a sol-gel process,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 40, no. 2-3, pp. 161–165, 1997.
- M. J. Espin, A. V. Delgado, and J. D. G. Durán, “Optical properties of dilute hematite/silicone oil suspensions under low electric fields,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 287, no. 1, pp. 351–359, 2005.
- S. Laurent, D. Forge, M. Port et al., “Magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles: synthesis, stabilization, vectorization, physicochemical characterizations and biological applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 2064–2110, 2008.
- A. H. Lu, E. L. Salabas, and F. Schüth, “Magnetic nanoparticles: synthesis, protection, functionalization, and application,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1222–1244, 2007.
- J. Zhang, S. Rana, R. S. Srivastava, and R. D. K. Misra, “On the chemical synthesis and drug delivery response of folate receptor-activated, polyethylene glycol-functionalized magnetite nanoparticles,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 40–48, 2008.
- C. Flesch, C. Delaite, P. Dumas, E. Bourgeat-Lami, and E. Duguet, “Grafting of poly(ε-caprolactone) onto maghemite nanoparticles,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 42, no. 23, pp. 6011–6020, 2004.
- J. Sun, S. Zhou, P. Hou et al., “Synthesis and characterization of biocompatible Fe3O4 nanoparticles,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 333–341, 2007.
- C.-M. Lee, H.-J. Jeong, E.-M. Kim et al., “Synthesis and characterization of iron oxide nanoparticles decorated with carboxymethyl curdlan,” Macromolecular Research, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 2009.
- S. Wada, K. Tazawa, I. Furuta, and H. Nagae, “Antitumor effect of new local hyperthermia using dextran magnetite complex in hamster tongue carcinoma,” Oral Diseases, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 218–223, 2003.
- V. Sreeja and P. A. Joy, “Microwave-hydrothermal synthesis of γ-Fe2O3 nanoparticles and their magnetic properties,” Materials Research Bulletin, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1570–1576, 2007.
- T. J. Daou, G. Pourroy, S. Bégin-Colin et al., “Hydrothermal synthesis of monodisperse magnetite nanoparticles,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 4399–4404, 2006.
- K. Simeonidis, S. Mourdikoudis, M. Moulla et al., “Controlled synthesis and phase characterization of Fe-based nanoparticles obtained by thermal decomposition,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. e1–e4, 2007.
- I. Nedkov, T. Merodiiska, L. Slavov, R. E. Vandenberghe, Y. Kusano, and J. Takada, “Surface oxidation, size and shape of nano-sized magnetite obtained by co-precipitation,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 300, no. 2, pp. 358–367, 2006.
- J. Hu, G. Chen, and I. M. C. Lo, “Removal and recovery of Cr(VI) from wastewater by maghemite nanoparticles,” Water Research, vol. 39, no. 18, pp. 4528–4536, 2005.
- P. D. Cozzoli, E. Snoeck, M. A. Garcia et al., “Colloidal synthesis and characterization of tetrapod-shaped magnetic nanocrystals,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 1966–1972, 2006.
- P. Berger, N. B. Adelman, K. J. Beckman, D. J. Campbell, A. B. Ellis, and G. C. Lisensky, “Preparation and properties of an aqueous ferrofluid,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 76, no. 7, pp. 943–948, 1999.
- S. C. Gu, T. Shiratori, and M. Konno, “Synthesis of monodisperse, magnetic latex particles with polystyrene core,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 281, no. 11, pp. 1076–1081, 2003.
- T. Belin, N. Guigue-Millot, T. Caillot, D. Aymes, and J. C. Niepce, “Influence of grain size, oxygen stoichiometry, and synthesis conditions on the γ-Fe2O3 vacancies ordering and lattice parameters,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 459–465, 2002.
- S. Sun and H. Zeng, “Size-controlled synthesis of magnetite nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 28, pp. 8204–8205, 2002.
- I. Nyiro-Kosa, D. C. Nagy, and M. Pósfai, “Size and shape control of precipitated magnetite nanoparticles,” European Journal of Mineralogy, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 293–302, 2009.
- N. Mizutani, T. Iwasaki, S. Watano, T. Yanagida, and T. Kawai, “Size control of magnetite nanoparticles in hydrothermal synthesis by coexistence of lactate and sulfate ions,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 801–806, 2010.
- D. Shi, J. P. Cheng, F. Liu, and X. B. Zhang, “Controlling the size and size distribution of magnetite nanoparticles on carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 502, no. 2, pp. 365–370, 2010.
- X. T. Wen, J. X. Yang, B. He, and Z. Gu, “Preparation of monodisperse magnetite nanoparticles under mild conditions,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 535–541, 2008.
- X. Wang, C. Zhang, X. Wang, and H. Gu, “The study on magnetite particles coated with bilayer surfactants,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, no. 18, pp. 7516–7521, 2007.
- P. Guardia, B. Batlle-Brugal, A. G. Roca et al., “Surfactant effects in magnetite nanoparticles of controlled size,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 316, no. 2, pp. e756–e759, 2007.
- L. Jiang, W. Sun, and J. Kim, “Preparation and characterization of ω-functionalized polystyrene-magnetite nanocomposites,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 101, no. 2-3, pp. 291–296, 2007.
- A. K. Bajpai and R. Gupta, “Synthesis and characterization of magnetite (Fe3O 4)polyvinyl alcohol-based Nanocomposites and study of superparamagnetism,” Polymer Composites, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 245–255, 2010.
- S.-J. Yen, E.-C. Chen, R.-K. Chiang, and T.-M. Wu, “Preparation and characterization of polypyrrole/magnetite nanocomposites synthesized by in situ chemical oxidative polymerization,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 46, no. 13, pp. 1291–1300, 2008.
- J. H. Kim, F. F. Fang, H. J. Choi, and Y. Seo, “Magnetic composites of conducting polyaniline/nano-sized magnetite and their magnetorheology,” Materials Letters, vol. 62, no. 17-18, pp. 2897–2899, 2008.
- H. Gu, Y. Huang, X. Zhang et al., “Magnetoresistive polyaniline-magnetite nanocomposites with negative dielectric properties,” Polymer, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 801–809, 2012.
- L. A. Ramajo, A. A. Cristóbal, P. M. Botta, J. M. Porto López, M. M. Reboredo, and M. S. Castro, “Dielectric and magnetic response of Fe3O4/epoxy composites,” Composites A, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 388–393, 2009.
- W. W. Wang, Y. J. Zhu, and M. L. Ruan, “Microwave-assisted synthesis and magnetic property of magnetite and hematite nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 419–426, 2007.
- J. G. Parsons, C. Luna, C. E. Botez, J. Elizalde, and J. L. Gardea-Torresdey, “Microwave-assisted synthesis of iron(III) oxyhydroxides/oxides characterized using transmission electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and X-ray absorption spectroscopy,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 70, no. 3-4, pp. 555–560, 2009.
- X. Yang, W. Jiang, L. Liu et al., “One-step hydrothermal synthesis of highly water-soluble secondary structural Fe3O4 nanoparticles,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 324, no. 14, pp. 2249–2257, 2012.
- M. Niederberger and G. Garnweitner, “Organic reaction pathways in the nonaqueous synthesis of metal oxide nanoparticles,” Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 28, pp. 7282–7302, 2006.
- A. V. Mitin, V. A. Tarasov, V. N. Doronin, and R. A. Nazipov, “Magnetic nanostructured polymer composites,” Physics of the Solid State, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2336–2339, 2011.
- L. E. Nita, A. P. Chiriac, I. Neamtu, and C. Vasile, “Magnetic composites obtainment based on styrene polymers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 4133–4141, 2006.
- N. Pinna, S. Grancharov, P. Beato, P. Bonville, M. Antonietti, and M. Niederberger, “Magnetite nanocrystals: nonaqueous synthesis, characterization, and solubility,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3044–3049, 2005.
- B. Nigrovski, A. Rizzuti, C. Leonelli, B. Ondruschka, and P. Scholz, “Preparation of magnetite nanoparticles via microwave-assisted hydrothermal process,” in Proceedings of the WG 003/04 COST D32 Action, Chemistry under High-Energy Microenvironments, Final Meeting, Krakow, Poland, September 2009.
- R. Aragón, J. P. Shepherd, J. W. Koenitzer, D. J. Buttrey, R. J. Rasmussen, and J. M. Honig, “Influence of nonstoichiometry on the Verwey transition in Fe 3(1-δ)O4,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 3221–3222, 1985.
- O. N. Shebanova and P. Lazor, “Raman study of magnetite (Fe3O4): laser-induced thermal effects and oxidation,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 845–852, 2003.
- A. M. Jubb and H. C. Allen, “Vibrational spectroscopic characterization of hematite, maghemite, and magnetite thin films produced by vapor deposition,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 2804–2812, 2010.
- A. Laachachi, M. Cochez, M. Ferriol, J. M. Lopez-Cuesta, and E. Leroy, “Influence of TiO2 and Fe2O3 fillers on the thermal properties of poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA),” Materials Letters, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 36–39, 2005.