- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 729756, 7 pages
Wear-Resistant Ultrahigh-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene-Based Nano- and Microcomposites for Implants
1Institute of Strength Physics and Materials Science SB RAS, Laboratory of Composite Polymeric Materials, pr. Akademicheskii, 2/4, Tomsk 634021, Russia
2National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University, Institute of Physics of High Technologies, Lenin Avenue, 30, Tomsk 634050, Russia
3Institute of Solid State Chemistry and Mechanochemistry SB RAS, Laboratory of Intercalation and Mechanochemical Reactions, Kutateladze 18, Novosibirsk 630128, Russia
4V.A. Belyi Metal-Polymer Research Institute NASB, Department of Mechanics of Adaptive Materials and Biomechanics, 32A Kirov Street, 246050 Gomel, Belarus
Received 10 April 2012; Accepted 18 May 2012
Academic Editor: Guifu Zou
Copyright © 2012 S. V. Panin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. S. Pinchuk, M. Y. Chernyakova, and V. À. Goldade, “Tribology of joints and the problems of modern orthopedics,” Journal of Friction and Wear, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 224–233, 2008.
- L. S. Pinchuk, “Modern trends in evolution of joint endoprostheses,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Colloquium Tribology, vol. 3 of Tribology and Lubrication Engineering, pp. 1735–1739, Technische Academie Esslingen, Ostfildern, Germany, January 2004.
- S. V. Panin, L. À. Kornienko, Ò. Poowadin, V. P. Sergeev, L. R. Ivanova, and S. V. Shilko, “Friction and Wear of the ion-implanted ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene for implants,” Trenie i Smazka v Machinakh i Mekhanizmakh, no. 10, pp. 3–12, 2010 (Russian).
- O. N. Tretinnikov and Y. Ikada, “Surface characterization of ion-implanted polyethylene,” Journal of Polymer Science, Part B, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 715–725, 1998.
- S. V. Panin, L. À. Kornienko, Ò. Poowadin, et al., “Friction and wear of the ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene modified by electron-beam high-energy treatment,” Trenie i Smazka v Machinakh i Mekhanizmakh, no. 12, pp. 26–31, 2011 (Russian).
- N. K. Myshkin, M. I. Petrokovets, and A. V. Kovalev, “Tribology of polymers: adhesion, friction, wear, and mass-transfer,” Tribology International, vol. 38, no. 11-12, pp. 910–921, 2005.
- S. M. Lee, S. W. Choi, Y. C. Nho, and H. H. Song, “Modification of microstructures and physical properties of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene by electron beam irradiation,” Journal of Polymer Science, Part B, vol. 43, no. 21, pp. 3019–3029, 2005.
- A. M. Avilov, V. A. Deryga, and G. F. Popov, “Composite materials formation for orthopaedic implants,” Problems of Atomic Science and Technology, no. 1, pp. 181–183, 2004.
- J. Zhou and F. Yan, “Improvement of the tribological behavior of ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene by incorporation of poly (phenyl p-hydroxyzoate),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 2336–2343, 2005.
- S. M. Kurtz, The UHMWPE Handbook: Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene in Total Joint Replacement, Academic Press, 2004.
- V. E. Panin, S. V. Panin, L. A. Kornienko, S. Vannasri, L. R. Ivanova, and S. V. Shil'ko, “Effect of mechanical activation of ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene on its mechanical and triboengineering properties,” Journal of Friction and Wear, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2010.
- S. V. Panin, L. A. Kornienko, S. Vannasri et al., “Comparison of the efficiency of modification of SHMPE by nanofibers (C, Al2O3) and nanoparticles (Cu, SiO2) when obtaining antifriction composites,” Journal of Friction and Wear, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 460–468, 2010.
- A. Toth, I. Bertoti, E. Szilagy et al., “Surface characterization of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene after nitrogen ion implantation,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 30, pp. 434–438, 2000.
- S. R. Sinha and B. J. Briscoe, Polymer Tribology, Imperial college Press, London, UK, 2009.
- J. R. Cooper, D. Dowson, and J. Fisher, “Macroscopic and microscopic wear mechanisms in ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene,” Wear, vol. 162–164, pp. 378–384, 1993.