- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 840245, 7 pages
Relationship between Length and Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy Signal Strength in Metal Nanoparticle Chains: Ideal Models versus Nanofabrication
1Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
2Beijing National Laboratory for Condensed Matter Physics, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
3Optical Technology Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899, USA
Received 5 November 2011; Accepted 18 January 2012
Academic Editor: Mustafa Çulha
Copyright © 2012 Kristen D. Alexander et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Kneipp, Y. Wang, H. Kneipp et al., “Single molecule detection using surface-enhanced raman scattering (SERS),” Physical Review Letters, vol. 78, no. 9, pp. 1667–1670, 1997.
- J. Lu, D. Chamberlin, D. A. Rider, M. Liu, I. Manners, and T. P. Russell, “Using a ferrocenylsilane-based block copolymer as a template to produce nanotextured Ag surfaces: uniformly enhanced surface enhanced Raman scattering active substrates,” Nanotechnology, vol. 17, no. 23, pp. 5792–5797, 2006.
- A. Gopinath, S. V. Boriskina, W. R. Premasiri, L. Ziegler, B. M. Reinhard, and L. D. Negro, “Plasmonic nanogalaxies: multiscale aperiodic arrays for surface-enhanced Raman sensing,” Nano Letters, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3922–3929, 2009.
- J. A. Dieringer, K. L. Wustholz, D. J. Masiello et al., “Surface-enhanced Raman excitation spectroscopy of a single rhodamine 6G molecule,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 849–854, 2009.
- E. C. le Ru, E. Blackie, M. Meyer, and P. G. Etchegoint, “Surface enhanced Raman scattering enhancement factors: a comprehensive study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 37, pp. 13794–13803, 2007.
- H. Xu, E. J. Bjerneld, M. Käll, and L. Börjesson, “Spectroscopy of single hemoglobin molecules by surface enhanced Raman scattering,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 21, pp. 4357–4360, 1999.
- E. C. le Ru, M. Meyer, E. Blackie, and P. G. Etchegoin, “Advanced aspects of electromagnetic SERS enhancement factors at a hot spot,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1127–1134, 2008.
- J. P. Camden, J. A. Dieringer, Y. Wang et al., “Probing the structure of single-molecule surface-enhanced raman scattering hot spots,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 130, no. 38, pp. 12616–12617, 2008.
- Z. B. Wang, B. S. Luk'yanchuk, W. Guo et al., “The influences of particle number on hot spots in strongly coupled metal nanoparticles chain,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 128, no. 9, Article ID 094705, 2008.
- K. L. Wustholz, A. I. Henry, J. M. McMahon et al., “Structure-activity relationships in gold nanoparticle dimers and trimers for surface-enhanced raman spectroscopy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 31, pp. 10903–10910, 2010.
- Y. Cui, M. T. Björk, J. A. Liddle, C. Sönnichsen, B. Boussert, and A. P. Alivisatos, “Integration of colloidal nanocrystals into lithographically patterned devices,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1093–1098, 2004.
- G. Mie, “Beitrage zur Optik truber Medien,” Annals of Physics, vol. 25, pp. 377–445, 1908.
- S. Li, D. Wu, X. Xu, and R. Gu, “Theoretical and experimental studies on the adsorption behavior of thiophenol on gold nanoparticles,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1436–1443, 2007.
- H. Xu, “Calculation of the near field of aggregates of arbitrary spheres,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 804–809, 2004.
- H. X. Xu, “A new method by extending Mie theory to calculate local field in outside/inside of aggregates of arbitrary spheres,” Physics Letters A, vol. 312, no. 5-6, pp. 411–419, 2003.
- L. Novotny and B. Hecht, Principles of Nano-Optics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2006.
- J. Hu, B. Zhao, W. Xu, Y. Fan, B. Li, and Y. Ozaki, “Simple method for preparing controllably aggregated silver particle films used as surface-enhanced Raman scattering active substrates,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 6839–6844, 2002.
- K. D. Alexander, M. J. Hampton, S. Zhang, A. Dhawan, H. Xu, and R. Lopez, “A high-throughput method for controlled hot-spot fabrication in SERS-active gold nanoparticle dimer arrays,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 2171–2175, 2009.
- J. T. Krug, G. D. Wang, S. R. Emory, and S. Nie, “Efficient Raman enhancement and intermittent light emission observed in single gold nanocrystals,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 121, no. 39, pp. 9208–9214, 1999.
- F. Huang and J. J. Baumberg, “Actively tuned plasmons on elastomerically driven Au nanoparticle dimers,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1787–1792, 2010.
- P. Kambhampati, C. M. Child, M. C. Foster, and A. Campion, “On the chemical mechanism of surface enhanced Raman scattering: experiment and theory,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 108, no. 12, pp. 5013–5027, 1998.
- S. Li, M. L. Pedano, S. H. Chang, C. A. Mirkin, and G. C. Schatz, “Gap structure effects on surface-enhanced Raman scattering intensities for gold gapped rods,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 1722–1727, 2010.
- W. Rechberger, A. Hohenau, A. Leitner, J. R. Krenn, B. Lamprecht, and F. R. Aussenegg, “Optical properties of two interacting gold nanoparticles,” Optics Communications, vol. 220, no. 1–3, pp. 137–141, 2003.
- C. Tabor, R. Murali, M. Mahmoud, and M. A. El-Sayed, “On the use of plasmonic nanoparticle pairs as a plasmon ruler: the dependence of the near-field dipole plasmon coupling on nanoparticle size and shape,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 113, no. 10, pp. 1946–1953, 2009.
- L. Gunnarsson, E. J. Bjerneld, H. Xu, S. Petronis, B. Kasemo, and M. Käll, “Interparticle coupling effects in nanofabricated substrates for surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 802–804, 2001.
- K. Bosnick, M. Maillard, L. Brus, and J. Jiang, “Single molecule Raman spectroscopy at the junctions of large ag nanocrystals,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 37, pp. 9964–9972, 2003.
- K. H. Su, Q. H. Wei, X. Zhang, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, “Interparticle coupling effects on plasmon resonances of nanogold particles,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1087–1090, 2003.
- E. Prodan, C. Radloff, N. J. Halas, and P. Nordlander, “A hybridization model for the plasmon response of complex nanostructures,” Science, vol. 302, no. 5644, pp. 419–422, 2003.
- P. Nordlander and E. Prodan, “Plasmon hybridization in nanoparticles near metallic surfaces,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 2209–2213, 2004.