- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 875815, 10 pages
Preparation and Properties of PTFE-PMMA Core-Shell Nanoparticles and Nanocomposites
1Dipartimento di Scienze e Innovazione Tecnologica, Università del Piemonte Orientale “Amedeo Avogadro,” Interuniversity Consortium for Materials Science Technology (INSTM), UdR Alessandria, Viale T. Michel 11, 15100 Alessandria, Italy
2Dipartimento di Biochimica “G. Moruzzi,” Modena-S3, Istituto di Nanoscienze del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Università di Bologna, Italian Interuniversity Consortium for Materials Science and Technology (INSTM), UdR Alessandria, Via Irnerio 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy
3Solvay Solexis SpA, Piazzale Donegani 5/6, Alessandria 15047 Spinetta Marengo, Italy
4Institute for the Chemical and Physical Processes, National Research Council, Via G. Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
5NanoFacility Piemonte, Electromagnetism Division, Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica, Strada delle Cacce 91, 10135 Torino, Italy
Received 4 April 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: Baoquan Sun
Copyright © 2012 Diego Antonioli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. P. Giannelis, “Polymer layered silicate nanocomposites,” Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 1996.
- P. M. Ajayan and J. M. Tour, “Materials science: nanotube composites,” Nature, vol. 447, no. 7148, pp. 1066–1068, 2007.
- B. A. Rozenberg and R. Tenne, “Polymer-assisted fabrication of nanoparticles and nanocomposites,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 40–112, 2008.
- D. R. Paul and L. M. Robeson, “Polymer nanotechnology: nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 15, pp. 3187–3204, 2008.
- T. Wang and J. L. Keddie, “Design and fabrication of colloidal polymer nanocomposites,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 147-148, no. 1, pp. 319–332, 2009.
- Y. Xia, B. Gates, Y. Yin, and Y. Lu, “Monodispersed colloidal spheres: old materials with new applications,” Advanced Materials, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 693–713, 2000.
- O. Kalinina and E. Kumacheva, “Polymeric nanocomposite material with a periodic structure,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 35–38, 2001.
- U. Jeong, Y. Wang, M. Ibisate, and Y. Xia, “Some new developments in the synthesis, functionalization, and utilization of monodisperse colloidal spheres,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1907–1921, 2005.
- J. C. Hulteen and R. P. Van Duyne, “Nanosphere lithography: a materials general fabrication process for periodic particle array surfaces,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1553–1558, 1995.
- K. Inoue and K. Kazuo, “Photonic crystals physics, fabrication and applications,” in Ohtaka editor Springer Series in Optical Sciences, vol. 94, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- E. Giani, K. Sparnacci, M. Laus, G. Palamone, V. Kapeliouchko, and V. Arcella, “PTFE-polystyrene core-shell nanospheres and nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 4360–4367, 2003.
- K. Sparnacci, D. Antonioli, S. Deregibus et al., “PTFE-based core-soft shell nanospheres and soft matrix nanocomposites,” Macromolecules, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 3518–3524, 2009.
- V. Kapeliouchko, G. Palamone, T. Poggio et al., “PMMA-based core-shell nanoparticles with various PTFE cores,” Journal of Polymer Science A, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 2928–2937, 2009.
- K. Sparnacci, D. Antonioli, S. Deregibus et al., “Two-dimensional non-close-packed arrays of nanoparticles via core-shell nanospheres and reactive ion etching,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 558–564, 2011.
- D. Antonioli, S. Deregibus, G. Panzarasa et al., “PTFE-PMMA core-shell nanoparticles as building blocks for self-assembled opals: synthesis, properties and optical response,” Polymer International, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 1294–1301, 2012.
- S. M. Heard, F. Grieser, C. G. Barraclough, and J. V. Sanders, “The characterization of ag sols by electron microscopy, optical absorption, and electrophoresis,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 545–555, 1983.
- K. Sparnacci, D. Antonioli, S. Deregibus et al., “Preparation, properties and self-assembly behavior of PTFE-based core-shell nanospheres,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 980541, 15 pages, 2012.
- C. S. Chern, Principles and Applications of Emulsion Polymerization, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- S. Jiang, E. D. Sudol, V. L. Dimonie, and M. S. El-Aasser, “Seeding as a means of controlling particle size in dispersion polymerization,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 4096–4107, 2008.
- M. E. Woods, J. S. Dodge, I. M. Krieger, and P. E. Pierce, “Monodisperse lattices: emulsion polymerization with mixtures of anionic and nonionic surfactants,” Journal of Paint Technology, vol. 40, no. 527, pp. 541–548, 1968.
- X. Q. Wang, D. R. Chen, J. C. Han, and S. Y. Du, “Crystallization behavior of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE),” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 990–996, 2002.
- M. Laus, K. Sparnacci, D. Antonioli et al., “On the multiple crystallization behavior of PTFE in PMMA/PTFE nanocomposites from core-shell nanoparticles,” Journal of Polymer Science B, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 548–554, 2010.
- J. A. Koutsky, A. G. Walton, and E. Baer, “Nucleation of polymer droplets,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1832–1839, 1967.
- R. Montenegro, M. Antonietti, Y. Mastai, and K. Landfester, “Crystallization in miniemulsion droplets,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 21, pp. 5088–5094, 2003.
- G. Pompe, L. Häußler, P. Pötschke et al., “Reactive polytetrafluoroethylene/polyamide compounds. I. Characterization of the compound morphology with respect to the functionality of the polytetrafluoroethylene component by microscopic and differential scanning calorimetry studies,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 1308–1316, 2005.
- L. Häußler, G. Pompe, D. Lehmann, and U. Lappan, “Fractionated crystallization in blends of functionalized poly(tetrafluoroethylene) and polyamide,” Macromolecular Symposia, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 411–420, 2001.
- Y. H. Hu, C. Y. Chen, and C. C. Wang, “Viscoelastic properties and thermal degradation kinetics of silica/PMMA nanocomposites,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 545–553, 2004.
- R. Ruggerone, C. J. G. Plummer, N. N. Herrera, E. Bourgeat-Lami, and J. A. E. Månson, “Highly filled polystyrene-laponite nanocomposites prepared by emulsion polymerization,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 621–629, 2009.
- L. E. Nielsen and R. W. Landel, Mechanical Properties of Polymers and Composites, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1994.